Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
16741 - 16760 of 16838 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,065 Posts
I pulled the tail lights tonight, checked the bulbs, sockets, and what wiring I could see, nothing shorted or chafed. My 6 pin trailer socket has power (via a power outlet installed just inside the rear door- I keep it unplugged if I'm not towing), trailer brakes, ground, running lights, left turn, right turn. Nothing to the reverse lights. I unplugged the flat 4 connector leading to the 6 pin connector, no change. It's got me stumped... so far. I'll figure it out, or I'll get a pair of junk yard tail lights and cut the reverse lights out of them. They don't have to be there for inspection, but if they're there, they have to work. That'll buy me time. Then again, I don't even remember when the last good inspection ran out. It failed reinspection back in February, and I've not had one since. Everything else is good, just this reverse light issue.

·
Registered
01 Astro RWD Cargo, 97 AWD Mark III
2,277 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Am I doing this right?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
01 Astro RWD Cargo, 97 AWD Mark III
2,277 Posts
I have to wonder what happened to the 32's?

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,998 Posts
Christmas in South Florida.
We got our "cold front" yesterday.
I think this weekend I'll check my brakes.
World Font Advertising Poster Astronomical object

The only way you really know it's Christmas here
is when the neighbors put up the holiday lights...
Vehicle Wheel Light Hood Plant

Merry Christmas

Reactions: Big_kid

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have to wonder what happened to the 32's?
Lol these are a set of rollers to get it into my garage for a pretty major overhaul/upgrade

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,065 Posts
I pulled the tail lights again this afternoon for another look. It seems that when I wired the trailer harness 13 years ago I got a little bit confused. My intention was to have an auxiliary back up light, but I never got around to it. I did, however, tap into a reverse light wire for it. I just didn't cut that wire loose from the trailer harness. It seems that for the last 13 years I've been driving around with my reverse lights on at night, and nobody mentioned it to me until last month. I also never noticed the dash and parking lights came on while in reverse. I knew the reverse lights were moody, but I chalked that up to the play in the shifter. I guess they're not as moody as I thought they were.

(still can't believe I missed that for 13 years...)

• Haha
Reactions: Meterpig

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,998 Posts
What I did with my van today on Christmas Eve.
Tomorrow I'll probably do my 92 (lives in garage.. a little overdue)
(this is as exciting as it gets.. lol)

OIL = CHECK
FLUIDS =CHECK
BRAKES =CHECK
WASH = CHECK

I'm good for GO in 2022!

DONE!
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

·
Registered
185 Posts
That van isn't dirty ! What are you washing off, Sun Residue ?...lol

• Haha
Reactions: Mmusicman

·
Registered
185 Posts
Don't mind me I'm just jealous, we had our first snow ( 1" before change over to rain) last weekend and the first Ice Storm today. The sand/salt trucks have been going by all day so my van is probably off the road for the season and won't need to be washed till maybe April or May. At least the roads were clean enough yesterday to take it out for the last ride while visiting friends for Xmas Eve...

·
Super Moderator
05 Astro AWD
14,158 Posts
Shoot, it was 63° yesterday and is already 60° today up here....

Yesterday, I drove the van over the Bay to my BILs house for Christmas. More gently than usual, because our daughter and grandson were along for the ride. Comfortable ride for everyone - grandson only complained when I wasn't moving (good boy!) ;)

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
1,324 Posts
I think Mmusicman may be washing off the excess aerosol sunscreen that seems to be pervasive in his area.

Yup, I am a bit jealous too...we are looking forward to several inches of snow over the next week, and temperatures down into the low teens. That is quite unusual for the Seattle area, so the plumbers will be busy next week and next month.
With the AWD van, two Subarus, and a well stocked freezer, we are not very concerned about snow.
I just need to keep the temporary canvas shelter swept off so it does not collapse. That happened a few years ago, when we left town for a week in February. We had about 8 inches of heavy wet snowfall over night.
Rod J

·
Registered
646 Posts
Got up to 75 degrees today, so a good wash, wax, vac, it looks really good for an older van, 1994 extended conversion

·
Super Moderator
7,065 Posts
After 13.5 years, I finally have working windshield washers. The old tank had broken mounts(and no screws), and no seal on the pump. I installed this one, filled and tested, then found a leak. Turns out this tank has a second pump for the Dutch door that I don't have. Maybe one day I'll add a nozzle to the hood, but today isn't that day. Until then, I looped a line from the second pump back into the tank. It'll help keep it from getting stagnant. lol. I also need to get some speed nuts to properly mount it, and it looks like I'll have to heat the one tab a bit to get the proper angle to bolt it down.

Also pictured are 2 new door detents. I installed the passenger side, then realized the parts that needed attention were still in the door. I cleaned and siliconed them, gaining only slight improvement. I had slightly better results on the driver's side. At least I lubed the solenoid and linkages while the doors were apart. I'm sure that will help. Sorry about the lack of useful pics, I get going on a job and don't think about it until I'm finished.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Rods Trucks said..."I just need to keep the temporary canvas shelter swept off so it does not collapse. "

Oh I've been there, the day after I shipped the S10 to it's new owner we had a huge snow storm and I had to plow all night. I kept checking in on my 20" canopy and it looked fine, even at 3:00 in the morning when I got home, but all the snow had been blowing onto the back side where I couldn't see it until I woke up in the daylight and looked out the second story window . By then just a couple more inches was all it needed to collapse... and just a day earlier the truck was sitting in there.. I Now clear the snow off my 30" canopy every hour

Sunscreen...hmm...didn't think of that

I used the Clear Goop in my door checks it's still holding after several months, it seams to be a little firmer than silicone after it fully cures which at the amount needed to fill the door check it can take a few days to cure

·
Registered
2003 GMC Safari AWD
113 Posts
I pulled those Damned Poly Body Mounts I got when I lifted the Van. I got some good rubber Donors from the PaPart and ordered 1 pair from RockAUTO. I am ashamed that it took me this long to do it. very easy and Holy Shiznizzle does it change the ride! Merry Christmas everyone and I look forward to a blessed NEW YEAR!!! Thanks to ASTROsafari.com, Leann, AStroWill, MMusicman and the rest of the Astro luvin community for their continued support. Surely I would have driven my Surfari off a cliff had it not been for all you guys.
J

16741 - 16760 of 16838 Posts