2003 Safari AWD
251 Posts
Installed keyless entry...

· Registered
1,576 Posts

· Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
1,581 Posts
There is one in our neighborhood, near Seattle. It has been occasionally under a cloth cover and under a carport for several years IIRC. I can only see the back end, but I am sure that is what I am seeing. It is the pale green color version.
The owner seems to have a couple of other JDM cars in a building, that I can see bits of when the door is open.
I know there are at least two RHD Toyota MR2's among that collection, and an old RHD Toyota Land Cruiser.
Rod J
Issaquah, WA

· Registered
1,576 Posts
There is one in our neighborhood, near Seattle. It has been occasionally under a cloth cover and under a carport for several years IIRC. I can only see the back end, but I am sure that is what I am seeing. It is the pale green color version.
The owner seems to have a couple of other JDM cars in a building, that I can see bits of when the door is open.
I know there are at least two RHD Toyota MR2's among that collection, and an old RHD Toyota Land Cruiser.
Rod J
Issaquah, WA
NIce!

· Super Moderator
7,695 Posts
I've been spending time on the van, lubricating latches, etc etc. I've installed a cheap stereo from Amazon, I broke the screen before I finished. The replacement is in and working well. I took the opportunity to replace the 5" speakers in the back since one was intermittent/blown, and they were 20 years old. I cut the holes bigger and put in a 30 year old pair of 6x9s I had. Is Kraco still in business? Regardless, they sound better. I also fished RCA cables I'll probably never use over to the passenger side where I can access them easier. Nothing really pic worthy.

The most interesting (to me) thing I did was add a lock knob to the back door. I had previously cut a hole in the access panel and would stick my finger in to lock it, but I always wanted something a little more refined. I had given it a lot of thought and gotten nowhere. I decided to stop thinking and just do it, that's often how I get my best results.

I used the lock slider from the passenger door since it wasn't in the best of shape. I found an aluminum heat sink in my junk pile that looked like it would work behind the slide. A little bit of cutting and drilling later, a wire hanger and some zip ties to hold it to the existing linkage, and I came up with a setup that works. It feels a little mushy when I unlock with it, but that's not likely to happen often. The lock and linkage still work as they should, that's what matters. I've since added some tape on the knob to cover the end of the hanger. Pics or it didn't happen, right?

· Registered
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
6,062 Posts
Hey Big...
About that lock/unlock thingie...I can not figure out what you did from what you said and the pics really do not help much.

I am so sorry.

· Super Moderator
7,695 Posts
I cut a hole in the cover on the back door.
I put the lock/unlock slider in the hole.
I mounted a piece of aluminum channel to the back side of the cover, making a channel for the slide to move up and down. I cut a slot in the channel to allow a rod to move up and down with the slider.
I drilled a hole in the existing cantilever/pintle and bent a coat hanger to run from the cantilever down to the slider.
I secured the coat hanger to the existing rod that ran from the lock cylinder to the cantilever using zip ties.
I tested, tweaked, and re-tested repeatedly until I was satisfied with the result.

Bottom line: I no longer need a key to lock the door. Considering how much I use that door, it's a useful mod for me.
Yes, after I'd finished it I thought that I could have just added a button to the power lock circuit. Where's the fun in that though?

· Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
6,370 Posts
Been in the 80's here all week... but an unusual cold front coming in for Christmas.
My vans are good.. I mostly just drive them lately.
Happy Holidays from South Florida
Sky Cloud Happy Hat Tree

Smile Table Tableware Drink Sky

· Registered
229 Posts
From yesterday.

I replaced both window controllers on driver and passenger doors. They still worked, but all the finish and markings had worn off and they looked like crap. Got the replacements from Amazon for $19 + $21.

Also had to deal with a bad connection with the Bose OEM provided 20 pin plug of my DD. The crappy quality made all the individual pins loose and all or some of them would cut out if you even looked at the plug. Actually found a replacement on Amazon, but decided to try reseating the tiny connectors within the plug and Super gluing all the wires.where they entered the rear of the plug. Worked like a charm to secure them all from moving.

· Registered
6,062 Posts
Big_kid said:
... no longer need a key to lock the door...
Feel like a dolt sometimes... ( hold the applause ) , could not for the life of me figure how having a lock/unlock knob on a hidden panel helped. That is the small access panel on the rt. side door 'jam', right? The one not accessible when closed?

Then it dawned on me... you are only using it to LOCK the door before closing w/o having to have a key.
And it can always be reverted back - those panels are dime a dozen ( 13 here in Ky. ).
Otherwise, no harm seemingly.

· Super Moderator
7,695 Posts
Precisely. I'm in and out of that door more than the driver's door, not having to fish for keys is a convenience for me. I had previously cut a hole in that cover and slid a piece of hose over the sharp edge, but I wanted something slightly more refined where I wasn't sticking my fingers inside the door.

· Registered
6,370 Posts
Survived the holidays... washed my van
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

In non-related news.. when I'm not hauling equipment doing outdoor car shows and events, part of the holidays includes my streaming live radio shows from home. Here's my makeshift "living room studio"..
Computer Computer keyboard Personal computer Audio equipment Entertainment

I direct-link two "video studios" with a long-time DJ friend in Central Florida.
The technology is very cool.. like we're sitting in the same room together.
We stream high-quality audio and video... wife joins in sometimes too
Computer Personal computer Laptop Audio equipment Electronic instrument

I do it strictly for fun, and something to do because I can.
Signal is relayed thru old servers I've programmed and set up at work
I'm "Central Control" from the house.. lol
Personal computer Computer Computer keyboard Computer monitor Gadget

Barware Audio equipment Engineering Bottle Drinkware

Computer Personal computer Furniture Table Computer desk

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

· Registered
6,092 Posts
Awesome!
How can we find it?

In non-related news.. when I'm not hauling equipment doing outdoor car shows and events, part of the holidays includes my streaming live radio shows from home. Here's my makeshift "living room studio"..

I direct-link two "video studios" with a long-time DJ friend in Central Florida.
The technology is very cool.. like we're sitting in the same room together.
We stream high-quality audio and video... wife joins in sometimes too

I do it strictly for fun, and something to do because I can.
Signal is relayed thru old servers I've programmed and set up at work
I'm "Central Control" from the house.. lol

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

· Registered
6,062 Posts
Try Cruisin South Florida - South Florida's Hottest Classic Car Shows!

I tell ya, I grew up in Florida on the west coast and it was the most fun.
Had relatives in Miami and Miami beach.

It was even more fun! Waves, waves and ground into the sand a few times.
My uncle Klaus was a lifeguard out front for 4 years.
He made a living and showed me how, with a metal detector every evening about 7 pm.

What great fun it was for a "grown kid" to order a coffee in the Foutainebleau for a buck.

· Registered
6,370 Posts
SATURDAY NIGHT UNDER THE LIGHTS!

My view.. at the annual "Darryl Gwynn Benefit Full Throttle Show of Shows".. Pompano Beach Florida.
Great crowd, great weather... about 220 show vehicles, race cars.. and LOTS of horsepower.
Entertainment Tripod Music Automotive design Videographer

My view (from my setup at van)...
Laptop Personal computer Computer Equalizer Motor vehicle

Computer Laptop Musical instrument Personal computer Musician

I'm set up with the band...
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Drum Musical instrument Tire Guitar Vehicle

Our first BIG show of the year kicking off the season...
Motor vehicle Tree Street light Vehicle Leisure

Wheel Vehicle Street light Car Tire

Street light Musician Fan Tree City

A good time was had by all.
Next weekend is my BIGGEST event of the year.
I'm loading the van and trailer for that one now..

I didn't shoot video this year
(so here is a previous one from this same show)

· Registered
6,370 Posts
Here's a very small sample of a few more photos, and a very cool video from my show. I was hesitant to post these since it doesn't include so many of the rest of the super nice cars (over 200 in the show), and they don't include my van.. lol. But these are from my show. Lots of muscle, chrome, super-chargers, dragsters, etc etc (that you're not seeing in these photos). These are a few my buddy shot that he found interesting.

Slow day.. so what the heck, here they are...
(a few from the outside lineup before the show)

Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle

A SELECT FEW FROM INSIDE THE SHOW...
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Tire

Sky Cloud Vehicle Car Hood

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood

Car Vehicle Photograph Tire Motor vehicle

Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle Tire

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

Unfortunately this doesn't even include BEST OF SHOW or some of the TOP winners
(which I didn't get.. busy doing music, announcements, and sound for the band)

And finally, a very COOL sampler video of something you DON'T SEE at a typical car show!
There were numerous race cars that fired up.. but we captured this "funny-car" headliner...

16921 - 16940 of 16953 Posts