Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,355 Posts
Obviously flowmaster is usually the loudest or a Cherry Bomb glasspack.

I personally like Magnaflow mufflers. Good construction and great sound when your on the trottle & pretty tame at idle and cruisin' speed. :layrubber:

My '92 has no CAT and a turbo muffler....its sound good at idle then breaks up when you get on it. Turbo mufflers suck!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
the closest thing i've found to give the v8 sound is flowmaster and they have them in different series so could possibly get a quieter flowmaster but still get the v8 sound. My 87 safari had single in dual out 40 series flowmaster but i would not recommend cause it was very loud! but my van i have now has a 8yr old flowmaster also 40 series on it single in single out and has a nice mellow tone and not loud at all.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jeff's93astro said:
the closest thing i've found to give the v8 sound is flowmaster and they have them in different series so could possibly get a quieter flowmaster but still get the v8 sound. My 87 safari had single in dual out 40 series flowmaster but i would not recommend cause it was very loud! but my van i have now has a 8yr old flowmaster also 40 series on it single in single out and has a nice mellow tone and not loud at all.
I want it to sound like a (dare I mention Ford?) Mustang or an older camaro. I don't want it to sound like a ricer.

Something appropriate for the van pictured as my avatar here on the forums.

·
Banned
2,472 Posts
My suggestion..............well forget the just like thingy and get the V8 in there.Ant nothing like it.Swing batter,batter,swing!!!!.

OK-it is one of my pet peeves-imitations.Get in the game is what I am suggesting. :banghead: :banghead: :layrubber: :banana: :thumbup:

·
Registered
718 Posts
I wanted the same thing, V8 sound out of a V6. I ended up with a single in single out Flowmaster 40. Sounds REALLY good idling, nice throaty rumble, but once you get on it, that lack of two more cylinders makes it sound like what it is...... a V6. Just cant get by the fact that it spins faster than a V8. It isn't "ricey" but it isnt the V8 roar you get when you get on it. It has a mellow resonance around 40-45 and 60-65 that sounds real nice going down the freeway. Not big glass pack fan on a V6, just dont like the sound :2:

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
When do you want it to sound like a V8, idling at a stop or cruising down the road. You can't have both unless you swap in a V8.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
astro355 said:
When do you want it to sound like a V8, idling at a stop or cruising down the road. You can't have both unless you swap in a V8.
At idle, if I had to choose.

What difference is there between mufflers if I want it to sound like a V8 at idle or cruising?

·
Registered
519 Posts
kennyj said:
g0t0pless said:
I only have 1 requirement: It must have dual outputs.

I don't want it to be too loud, but I would like it to NOT sound like a gramma van.
This is the only thing I can think of... :lol:
http://www.soundracer.se/
Seriously, these things are cool, I plan to order one. :rockon:
that is the funniest thing i have ever seen i kinda want to get one and try it out

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
g0t0pless said:
astro355 said:
At idle, if I had to choose.

What difference is there between mufflers if I want it to sound like a V8 at idle or cruising?
I don't know about specific differences. Its just that you can only make a V6 sound like a V8 at only idle or cruise. The real problem is when it doesn't sound like a V8, its not the best sound in the world. I'm not sure I could live with the van sounding like a ricer just for a nice idle.

·
Banned
9,005 Posts
If, I were going to do something of this nature, I would want to be quite at idle and a decent sound at cruise. NO DRONE...

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
diego89 said:
jeff's93astro said:
heres what mine sounds like and the resonance inside aint bad
[youtube][/youtube]
:thumbup: im going to get one like this one. if its new will it sound louder.
probably not as loud that muffler is about 8 years old so its probably burned out a little

·
Banned
9,005 Posts
diego89 said:
astroturf said:
If, I were going to do something of this nature, I would want to be quite at idle and a decent sound at cruise. NO DRONE...
so what would be one that will give me a decent sound at cruise.
Not to sure about all this after market crap that's been flyin around. My favorite system happens to be... Stock. It sounds good and quite at idle, and under half throttle acceleration, I can tell it's digging in. Under WOT, It sounds good as well. Jim

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.