Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get an Awd version and build it as something i can sleep for skiing/mountain biking.

If you had these options which one would you get?

a. 2000 Astro Awd with 190k miles that needs a little work $200ish? inside not so clean, outside pretty clean. Asking $2200

b. 2002 Safari Awd with 152k miles. Looks nice, clean in and out. Asking $6900

c. wait for ?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
05 Astro AWD
14,134 Posts
Ooof. My preference would be the '02 for the Vin X engine and no EGR, upgraded spider, lower miles and clean inside and out. But $6900 seems more than a wee bit high - I paid less than that for my '05 AWD four years ago with slightly higher miles (171k).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ooof. My preference would be the '02 for the Vin X engine and no EGR, upgraded spider, lower miles and clean inside and out. But $6900 seems more than a wee bit high - I paid less than that for my '05 AWD four years ago with slightly higher miles (171k).
thanks.. maybe i can get them to shave a few bucks off

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
1,105 Posts
Out here, around Seattle, the $6900 asking price is not very far out of line for a '02 AWD, if as clean as presented.
You can expect to spend the $200ish on anything you buy used. That is nothing. A complete set of tune-up parts with oil and filters will run close to that much.

Or maybe you meant to say $2000 of work needed. Still, a decent running 2000 AWD for around $2000 would likely be a good deal if you are willing and can plan to do most of the necessary work yourself.
What sort of work was entailed in the $200 (or maybe $2000)?

Rod J

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Out here, around Seattle, the $6900 asking price is not very far out of line for a '02 AWD, if as clean as presented.
You can expect to spend the $200ish on anything you buy used. That is nothing. A complete set of tune-up parts with oil and filters will run close to that much.

Or maybe you meant to say $2000 of work needed. Still, a decent running 2000 AWD for around $2000 would likely be a good deal if you are willing and can plan to do most of the necessary work yourself.
What sort of work was entailed in the $200 (or maybe $2000)?

Rod J
he says just the heater core.. but like you say i'm sure there is more. Seats look a little rough, carpets look pretty bad too. the carpet in the rear will most likely get tossed pretty quick

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
1,105 Posts
neither of those things should be major obstacles.
Rod

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
13,079 Posts
There is always more :) Plan on taking care of all the usual tune-up stuff, including pancake distributor disease, vacuum hoses, engine mounts, and the LIM gaskets(and upgrade the injectors while you are in there) if they haven't been done.

I like the 02 for the reasons that Leeann mentioned. For me it usually comes down to overall condition and which one has the least amount of rust, as I really dislike rust. Though if the price is right, that leaves more money for playing.

Also depends on your planned usage, the interior doesn't matter much if you are going to completely gut it. If you are just throwing a space heater and a cot in the back then the interior condition might be more important to you.

Then again, having ~5k extra to play with can pay for a rebuilt engine and transmission when needed and still have money to put into the interior/customization

All comes down to very personal choices that you have to decide and make. Heater core is not difficult on these vans, esp compared to some vehicles out there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is always more :) Plan on taking care of all the usual tune-up stuff, including pancake distributor disease, vacuum hoses, engine mounts, and the LIM gaskets(and upgrade the injectors while you are in there) if they haven't been done.

I like the 02 for the reasons that Leeann mentioned. For me it usually comes down to overall condition and which one has the least amount of rust, as I really dislike rust. Though if the price is right, that leaves more money for playing.

Also depends on your planned usage, the interior doesn't matter much if you are going to completely gut it. If you are just throwing a space heater and a cot in the back then the interior condition might be more important to you.

Then again, having ~5k extra to play with can pay for a rebuilt engine and transmission when needed and still have money to put into the interior/customization

All comes down to very personal choices that you have to decide and make. Heater core is not difficult on these vans, esp compared to some vehicles out there.
i'm leaning toward the 2002 for more$$, might be worth it in the long run.. or being patient and wait for an '30-'05. are they that much better?

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
13,079 Posts
Could be worth the extra money, might not be. Again, depends on a lot of factors, condition, your automotive skill, desire, and your personal preferences.

I would add up all the things you like and don't like about each one. Include expected maintenance/service on each one. Once that is done, then ask yourself which one you would rather end up with even if you have to put $1,500-2,000 into a transmission or something major like that.

Generally, the later the year the better things got. Take a look at my overview of the changes and decide which ones are worth it to YOU. Astro-Safari-Info - Astro/Safari Van Generations

1 - 9 of 9 Posts