Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced head gasket and got everything working again,(was overheated.), was running good for a two weeks or so, had a knock when cold start but was not that bad....but now have a crack in oil pan and will not turn over...so figure something fell apart...>??????

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
819 Posts
I think pulling the oil pan will reveal the source of the problem, and it will not likely be a pretty sight.
Rod J

·
Registered
2004 Astro AWD, 2004 Safari 2WD
595 Posts
The inside parts are making an exit...

·
Registered
'92 Astro LT - CPI / W Motor - 200K miles
5,227 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,929 Posts
Sounds like it may have thrown a rod. Drain what's left of the oil and break open the oil pan. It's no good anymore anyway, it'll allow you to see what's happened inside.

·
Registered
2004 Astro AWD, 2004 Safari 2WD
595 Posts
and don't forget, PICs

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, here is the issue, is it worth fixing? cost? I could probably get a whole sub-frame with motor and tranny for cheap...this is for off road use, not insured...rear wheal drive, so I am looking around right now.. :(

·
Administrator
87-89-90 03AWDx3
12,159 Posts
You are going to have to start at the bottom and find out all of what is broken. Then decide if you want to repair or replace, or scrap.

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,243 Posts
AstroWill said:
You are going to have to start at the bottom and find out all of what is broken. Then decide if you want to repair or replace, or scrap.
^ THIS. Stop guessing

·
Super Moderator
6,929 Posts
That oil pan is trash. Remove it, break it open if you have to, see what is on the inside. Something broke it, figure out what the culprit was.

·
Super Moderator
14,000 Posts
OUCH.

Now you need to find out why the oil pan broke like that. Pretty sure you need a short block at the least, and a long block to make things easier.

On my '93 Astro, I have a quarter-sized hole because a lifter punched out the oil pan. You need to see what did that damage, because something inside is much, much more broke than that.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts