WHICH LOCKER? NO SLIP or Limited Slip?

Re: WHICH LOCKER? NO SLIP or Limited Slip?

Postby AstroWill » February 19th 2020, 5:20pm

Captn.Crunch wrote:I’m not sure if that’s because I’ve never lifted a wheel due to the amazing articulation built into our vans( sarcastic wink nod)

LOL, come on, the body flex gives us an extra 2" ;)

Trolls take away from productive work, best to starve the troll of attention by ignoring it and going about your business.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Postby Luxury van » February 19th 2020, 7:11pm

Checked out true Trac what a great drive no clutch's to wear out and only a few $ more then the clutch type
Luxury van
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Russell
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: 4.3. LT

Postby SportsBoy » February 19th 2020, 7:30pm

Captn.Crunch wrote:I have yet to have to do the wheel in the air brake pedal thing. I’m not sure if that’s because I’ve never lifted a wheel due to the amazing articulation built into our vans( sarcastic wink nod) or because the remaining axle with both wheels on the ground got us through without a hiccup. Torsens all act the same so if riding the brakes worked in a military humvee it’ll work in an astro van.

Cool beans, thanks for the input.
I figure there would be a decent amount of wheel lift offroad with these vans (due to the wonderful articulation you mentioned), so I wasn't sure if that would be the achilles heel of the twin torsen setup
SportsBoy
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 2 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): Blake
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby MattB » February 26th 2020, 5:34am

Avoid the Auburn Limited Slip Carrier, I installed one in my 1965 Impala, 383CID, Muncie M20, 12Bolt. The Center Bolt safety pin is always Sheared off. I found this problem twice, NOT GOOD. This could allow the pin to walk out and really destroy everything!
Beware...
"Which is worse, The Evil you know or The Unknown?"
MattB
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: MattB has been a member for 2 full yearsMattB has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA): MattB
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: Rwd SLE

Postby soutthpaw » April 5th 2020, 11:06pm

I did the Eaton Posi Traction. I wanted the best setup for running snow covered roads over the sierras. the advantage of the posi is that it is always in limited slip mode. the time that traction is going to break loose at highway speeds is when you engage or disengage force to the drive wheels. On a manual trans I have seen jeeps spin around when people let out the clutch on up or downshift. the Torsen is constantly locking and unlocking between open and limited slip giving muliple opportunites for that sudden traction loading to break a wheel loose. So far the van has been amazing on my multiple snow covered trips over I80 and Carson pass (88) over the sierras in CA. I have had it off on the logging trails to get firewood and I just can't get the thing stuck you just keep power to the wheels and load up the LS differential and it just works it way out. I think the eaton posi was an option from the factory on these vans but not totally sure. I thought abotu doing the Torsen as well but opted for the one that met my needs the best. I run the Kumho AT51's https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... nture+AT51
and the combination of this mountain snowflake rated tire and the posi are a great combination. The treadwear is not great on them but that is the trade off for traction. they are also cheap. I got a set of 4 installed at sams club for $442 OTD with their free install deal.
The torque biasing is 35/65 front/rear so I felt that the front LS was not really needed. I would probably do the Torsen in the front if I did as it is basically an open diff for most street driving and turning. U can feel the LS grip if you do a slow full lock turn on the dry pavement as well. you have to apply the gas to get through the turn else the resistance with bring the van to a stop.
soutthpaw
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): Southpaw
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD

Postby dit » August 1st 2020, 2:53pm

The Trutrac/Torsten is definitely not a locker, it is posi-traction/limited slip. I've been running one for over a decade now. While it improves traction when both wheels are on the ground, it is useless when one wheel is off the ground as is quite common in trail situations. The "braking method" has had no significant affect in reducing off ground wheel spin.

There are currently no selectable lockers for the GM 7.5" which has always been surprising as there are hundreds of thousands of these rear ends under S-10s. I can only guess the manufacturers feel the rear end under built for locking with large tires.

This is the sole reason I'm currently building a Ford 8.8 with Eaton locker (if they ever send it).
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c, 4.10s torsen, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion, rock sliders, skid plate, ARB fridge,100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710
dit
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: dit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA): photovan
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: awd 4 inch lift

Postby markmitchmarkmitch is online! » August 1st 2020, 3:00pm

When I was younger the term full locker WAS a a full time 100% locked axles type rear (or front) axle assembly that was the info I was going with and these were used for drag racing only . Its not my fault the industry decided to reuse the terms and lie to people. So excuse my post for being wrong. Kinda like they did with the term full race cam which is also a lie used to sell cams to the unknowing. A full race cam would be useless on the street.
markmitchmarkmitch is online!
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 583
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Previous