Rear differential warranty/replacement.

Rear differential warranty/replacement.

Postby Arthix [OP] » August 18th 2016, 3:45am

Hey. So I'm currently living in BC - Canada and keen to get myself a road trip van for hikes and lakes etc.

Bought an 03 rwd GMC Safari van (cargo) today, Got it pretty cheap as it clearly had issues, Sounded like a subway train which after googling I guessed was the differential. I took it to my local garage when I got it home and as expected the rear differential is shot, I looked though the paperwork that came with it while I was waiting and surprisingly the guy had the differential replaced in December. My mechanic seemed scornful of the work they had done and told me for sure I should take it back to them. I got him to write down what to say and he has written "Rear pinion failed, leaked out oil". The paperwork does say 1 year warranty or 20000km, It's only done 4000 since.

Here is the paperwork : Image

I phoned up and am taking it in at 9am tomorrow (2 hour drive for me). They seemed to barely speak english on the phone and are apparently moving premises at the moment so I'm a little concerned as I am not that knowledgable about cars and especially what I can expect regarding warranty after car ownership change? Is my case pretty cut and dry here or am I likely to have to argue my case? Maybe I could get the old owner involved? They haven't put the license plate number on the invoice so maybe they wouldn't even notice the ownership change?

If I get nowhere at the transmission shop tomorrow I intend to visit the pick-a-part junk yard and take a rear end and get my mechanic back here to fit it for me. I've checked the vehicles they have online, Here is a picture of which vehicles are available. Image

How do I know which will be compatible? (Maybe I could check Astro's too?) Is there a way to check them for wear?

Thanks for any advice :)
Original Poster [OP]
Arthix
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Arthix has been a member for 4 full yearsArthix has been a member for 4 full yearsArthix has been a member for 4 full yearsArthix has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Differential Service Question
    by Sklar » October 23rd 2020, 7:00pm in Rear-End
    2 Replies
    Last post by Sklar View the latest post
    October 23rd 2020, 9:04pm
  • Rear End Noise
    by Vernondo » August 12th 2020, 4:00pm in Rear-End
    4 Replies
    Last post by Vernondo View the latest post
    August 13th 2020, 12:06am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 29th 2020, 9:12pm

Re: Rear differential warranty/replacement.

Postby Corsemoto » August 18th 2016, 3:38pm

Your 2003 will require a rear end out of 2003-2005 Astro/Safari due to the rear disc brakes, 6 bolt hubs and the minor/major differences in flanges, brackets, and other miscellaneous stuff. RWD or AWD shouldn't matter.

You can check your RPO codes for your original gear ratio If you want to keep the same - 3.42, 3.73 or whatever but being RWD you can install whatever is available since you don't have to worry about matching a front ratio like on AWD.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby Don1806 » August 18th 2016, 4:43pm

The first thing to check is whether or not that document says anything about the warranty being transferable to a different owner, or being non-transferable. Many warranties aren't transferable to anyone who isn't the original purchaser, and there is often an exclusion of that nature in the fine print. Check the back of the document for more fine print. You don't want a huge surprise at the end if you are expecting it to be fixed under warranty. Good luck.
99 Astro LT - Orginal Owner.
New Engine at 140,000 miles due to intake gasket failure. Hoping to at least double that.
Don1806
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Don1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): Don
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: AWD 170K

Postby MI_Ghost » September 16th 2016, 2:51am

Warranty will only cover parts. Not Labor!
~Ghost
Ast' Cargo: 2001 Astro Cargo
Beauty: 2009 Impala LT
MI_Ghost
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Ghost
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: Big White RWD Box