Name that Diff!

Name that Diff!

Postby astroconvert [OP] » April 1st 2017, 10:30pm

Astro Current diff-small pic.JPG
Current diff in the Astro
A while ago I had the open diff replaced in my 02 Astro because of a noisy rear end. While I was at it, I decided to go with limited slip for camping in Michigan sand. I was told the replacement would be a standard GM limited slip diff- my assumption was a G-80. I still have the noise issue and it's getting worse, so I decided to completely rebuild a Junk Yard rear axle and then swap it out. I started the swap today and after pulling the cover to remove the axles, this is what I found- A smoothly machined, solid carrier with no windows, no markings and only what looks like a circular plug held in with a snap ring. The original receipt identifies it as a posi carrier---not all that helpful. Searching for pictures, it looks like it might be an Eaton Detroit True Track??????

Any thoughts: what is it??? Is it worth swapping into the rebuilt Junk Yard axle??? ( I don't think my noise is from this carrier, it only has about 50k miles on it). The junk yard axle has a G80 in it with a fair amount of lash between the spiders and side gears that would require more rebuilding effort.
I'm off to pull the magic snap ring and see if I can figure out how to remove the axles....... posting.php?mode=post&f=108#
Original Poster [OP]
astroconvert
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: astroconvert has been a member for 9 full yearsastroconvert has been a member for 9 full yearsastroconvert has been a member for 9 full yearsastroconvert has been a member for 9 full yearsastroconvert has been a member for 9 full yearsastroconvert has been a member for 9 full yearsastroconvert has been a member for 9 full yearsastroconvert has been a member for 9 full yearsastroconvert has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: cargo conversion

Re: Name that Diff!

Postby chevymaher » April 1st 2017, 10:40pm

Yes it is a Eaton true track. Take the snap ring out that plug comes out. In the center between the axles there is a cylinder take that out. Push the axle in and remove the cir-clip on the axle. Then it slides right out.

It is a way better carrier than a original G-80. Rated to a ridiculous 800 hp or so. You aren't going to break it that is for sure.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby MI_Ghost » April 2nd 2017, 12:22am

That is way more differential than you will need at silver lake. It will cause no end of heartache burying those tires in the sand on every launch. :twisted:

But seriously. That is probably the best differential you could have. Your only limit will be available traction.
If you are not going to use that G80. Let me know!
~Ghost
Ast' Cargo: 2001 Astro Cargo
Beauty: 2009 Impala LT
MI_Ghost
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MI_Ghost has been a member for 4 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 4 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 4 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Ghost
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: Big White RWD Box

Postby dramey » April 2nd 2017, 12:48am

I could use a G80 here in Alaska. I would pay for the shipping.
dramey
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: dramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD Cargo Van

Postby astroconvert [OP] » April 2nd 2017, 3:05pm

Thanks everyone for the help! Everything came out easily for a change. Old rear axle assembly came out with no busted bolts. I need to finish checking the tooth pattern and put the rebuilt axle in the truck today. The weather is cooperating (driveway job) and I need the van tomorrow. I have a few helpful tricks I learned along the way. I'll post pics when I get things buttoned up.
Original Poster [OP]
astroconvert
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: astroconvert has been a member for 9 full yearsastroconvert has been a member for 9 full yearsastroconvert has been a member for 9 full yearsastroconvert has been a member for 9 full yearsastroconvert has been a member for 9 full yearsastroconvert has been a member for 9 full yearsastroconvert has been a member for 9 full yearsastroconvert has been a member for 9 full yearsastroconvert has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: cargo conversion