Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Differential Service Question

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Sklar 
#1 ·
I have a 200 Astro AWD, 195k miles.
The question is, if you did a rear differential service, would you be able to tell that the differential would go out in the next 1,500 miles?

I recently had a local shop fix a leaking pinion seal and service the rear differential. They did not raise any additional concerns. Then I drove 1,500 miles home to see my family, By the time I got there, there was a noise from the rear end. Took it to a shop, and they said there were a ton of metal shards in the differential and it needed to be replaced. I got a new (used) differential installed and made my way back home.
So is my shop where I live, who did the differential service, bad? Should they have been able to tell, or is this just bad luck and timing?

#2 ·
If they inspected it and everything looked good, I would say that there is no way that it would go out in 1,500 miles without something else being done wrong.
Maybe they over-tightened the pinion nut, but good luck proving anything. If you kept the original and brought it back with you, I would take it to them and have them look at it, at least see what they say.

#3 ·
AstroWill said:
If they inspected it and everything looked good, I would say that there is no way that it would go out in 1,500 miles without something else being done wrong.
Maybe they over-tightened the pinion nut, but good luck proving anything. If you kept the original and brought it back with you, I would take it to them and have them look at it, at least see what they say.
I didn't have the records on me when I was at my family's, so I called the shop back home. They said they didn't open up the differential. When I got back, I looked at the receipt and I definitely got charged for it. Upon calling again and looking at the receipt they say they must have looked at it, and that it was just bad luck/timing.
As you said, gonna be hard to prove anything... Definitely looking for a new shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.