Front Differential & CV Joint Axle Replacement

Front Differential & CV Joint Axle Replacement

Postby Corsemoto [OP] » March 4th 2012, 8:54pm

So finally replacing the CV joint (axle shaft) assemblies and axle seals in my '04. I replaced the axle seals last year when I did my front end rebuild and have lifted van 4" since but they are leaking again and the passenger side CV has been leaking grease since the lift. I picked up new GSP cv assemblies at Advance Auto and used a coupon code to save $50 so they were just over $100 for the pair with lifetime warranty.

I finished the passenger side which was straightforward - I should have replaced the CV joints the last three times I've removed them for other stuff! I'm working on the driver's side now, when I tapped the CV out the axle came out inside the CV and so had to tap the axle out of the CV. I also pulled the six bolt plate that houses the axle seal on the side of the differential because it looked like it was leaking as well. I tapped the old seal out, cleaned everything and used Scotchbrite to prep the surface for gasket on the plate.

I noticed on the differential that the adjuster sleeve (the castellated ring) is very loose and even though it's held in place with a locking tab, I can move it back and forth with my finger within the confines of the lock tab. I'm thinking it is to set bearing preload? Is this normal? I drained the gear oil (Amsoil Severe Gear) and it looked good, maybe a tiny, tiny amount of very small metal particles.

Trying to get some ideas before I reassemble.

#33 in this photo:

Original Poster [OP]
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Replacement differential cover bolts
    by rusticshack » December 12th 2020, 8:08pm in Rear-End
    8 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    December 17th 2020, 1:33am
  • Differential Service Question
    by Sklar » October 23rd 2020, 7:00pm in Rear-End
    2 Replies
    Last post by Sklar View the latest post
    October 23rd 2020, 9:04pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 13th 2021, 11:51am

Re: Front Differential & CV Joint Axle Replacement

Postby AllOutofBubblegum » April 2nd 2014, 6:41am

How are those axles holding up for ya?
AllOutofBubblegum
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: AllOutofBubblegum has been a member for 7 full yearsAllOutofBubblegum has been a member for 7 full yearsAllOutofBubblegum has been a member for 7 full yearsAllOutofBubblegum has been a member for 7 full yearsAllOutofBubblegum has been a member for 7 full yearsAllOutofBubblegum has been a member for 7 full yearsAllOutofBubblegum has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 20
Alias (AKA):

Postby Corsemoto [OP] » April 2nd 2014, 1:59pm

They seem to be okay. If you get any aftermarket cv joint, measure the overall length compared to original to be sure they aren't shorter which can cause problems.

I still have the originals which I want to rebuild and use, maybe should have just done that the first time but the logistics didn't work with van being apart.
Original Poster [OP]
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby AllOutofBubblegum » April 4th 2014, 5:39am

Hmm, has anyone found replacement axles that are for sure the right length and good quality? How much are the oem axles?

edit: looks like they might be available for about $40 a joint, inner and outer.
AllOutofBubblegum
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: AllOutofBubblegum has been a member for 7 full yearsAllOutofBubblegum has been a member for 7 full yearsAllOutofBubblegum has been a member for 7 full yearsAllOutofBubblegum has been a member for 7 full yearsAllOutofBubblegum has been a member for 7 full yearsAllOutofBubblegum has been a member for 7 full yearsAllOutofBubblegum has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 20
Alias (AKA):

Postby Norseman » April 25th 2014, 10:38pm

Hey Corsemoto, thank you for posting this. When you did measure the CV Shafts, what was the actual length? Were the new ones identical in length to your original ones, or were they slightly different?

I posted a question regarding this HERE - over a week ago, about an issue I ran into regarding the CV shaft lengths, but not a single person has responded... Which is a little disappointing since I thought this was a pretty active forum. I did follow the recommended procedure of first doing a search first on this subject, but didn't run across anything talking about the lengths of these units... Maybe I posted it in the wrong section, I don't know. But looking today I ran across your post and I'm hoping for some feedback. ANY advice on this issue would really be appreciated.
2001 Astro AWD, 4.3 V6, VIN 1GCDL19WO1B148614
Norseman
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Norseman has been a member for 8 full yearsNorseman has been a member for 8 full yearsNorseman has been a member for 8 full yearsNorseman has been a member for 8 full yearsNorseman has been a member for 8 full yearsNorseman has been a member for 8 full yearsNorseman has been a member for 8 full yearsNorseman has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): Norseman
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: Mobile RaceSimulator

Postby Norseman » April 29th 2014, 2:26am

Whats up guys?
2001 Astro AWD, 4.3 V6, VIN 1GCDL19WO1B148614
Norseman
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Norseman has been a member for 8 full yearsNorseman has been a member for 8 full yearsNorseman has been a member for 8 full yearsNorseman has been a member for 8 full yearsNorseman has been a member for 8 full yearsNorseman has been a member for 8 full yearsNorseman has been a member for 8 full yearsNorseman has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): Norseman
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: Mobile RaceSimulator

Postby chevymaher » April 29th 2014, 2:38am

Norseman wrote:Hey Corsemoto, thank you for posting this. When you did measure the CV Shafts, what was the actual length? Were the new ones identical in length to your original ones, or were they slightly different?

I posted a question regarding this HERE - over a week ago, about an issue I ran into regarding the CV shaft lengths, but not a single person has responded... Which is a little disappointing since I thought this was a pretty active forum. I did follow the recommended procedure of first doing a search first on this subject, but didn't run across anything talking about the lengths of these units... Maybe I posted it in the wrong section, I don't know. But looking today I ran across your post and I'm hoping for some feedback. ANY advice on this issue would really be appreciated.

Usually that means nobody knows. They all stuck with aftermarket shorter ones. Or ante up and pay the big bucks at the dealer.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 91
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Corsemoto [OP] » April 29th 2014, 4:21am

Oops... was going to reply the other day and got sidetracked. Blame Chevymaher, something about deleted posts... :lol: j/k CM!

I didn't measure when I had them out but eyeballed them and they were slightly shorter though I figured the rubber boots would stretch a bit and wasn't really enough to be a big deal.

While I haven't had an issue with the aftermarket cv assemblies, I'll rebuild the original ones at some point to have an extra set to swap out.
Original Poster [OP]
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Alias (AKA):

Postby Rod's Trucks » December 18th 2020, 9:24pm

Some time ago, I am sure the part number and Amazon link information was posted for the front diff seal side cover plate with seal installed.
I cannot find it with a search here, and have also looked through the Amazon listings as I think are appropriate.
Anybody have that available?
I am just trying to be proactive for when I damage one of those seal plates.
TIA,
Rod J
Issaquah, WA.
Rod's Trucks
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rod's Trucks has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 35
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby AstroWill » December 18th 2020, 9:38pm

Rod's Trucks wrote:Some time ago, I am sure the part number and Amazon link information was posted for the front diff seal side cover plate with seal installed.

This one? https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 0#p1539294
https://amzn.to/3p9LOEr

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches