Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Axle questions...

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jrsride2002 
#1 ·
OK, so I have been wanting to get different rims AND do the enlarged brake system. Still doing my homework on the jobs.
For the most part, I am building my van up for towing abilities. Did the cooler, got the air bags for more weight, brake controller soon to happen, and the hitch is mounted. Bikes, cars, travel trailer, whatever I can haul, will be hauled.
I know the 03-05 Astro axles will swap over to my 01, and I would have the rear disc brakes because of that.

1.) I have been under the impression, in general disc brakes are great, but for towing, drums are the way to go... Wright or wrong?

2.)I know with the 5 lug system, larger drums and rotors are easy to come by at the J/Y. I wanted to know, what the 6 lug systems? Are their any larger discs or drums I would want drop in? As far as rims go, I dig the Silverado 6 lug chrome rims, and see them cheap on craigslist, kind of often.

3.) What is the average gearing on those diffs? Right now I have 3.43's(I think, its been a while since I ran my vin)

Is that swap worth the time and effort?? An I forgetting to ask something else?

Thanks guys
~Junior

See less See more
#2 ·
I wouldn't worry about a brake swap. If you're going to tow heavy trailers, you need a trailer with brakes and a brake controller.

3.42 is the diff you'll find most often on these. 3.73s are a bit better for towing, but you do lose a little mileage with them. My Safari has 3.42s but my Bravada and Astro both have 3.73s.

#3 ·
Leeann_93 said:
I wouldn't worry about a brake swap. If you're going to tow heavy trailers, you need a trailer with brakes and a brake controller.

3.42 is the diff you'll find most often on these. 3.73s are a bit better for towing, but you do lose a little mileage with them. My Safari has 3.42s but my Bravada and Astro both have 3.73s.
Totally agree about 3.73's being better for towing. However, I have not bought a trailer yet, so I want to be prepared for buying something that doesnt have breaks already. I want the price to be as cheap as I can, and if that means adding breaks to the trailer later, then so be it. But for right off the bat, I want the machine to be ready for a trailer without. So I am going to be doing the swap.

One other thing, another reason why I asked about the 6 lug is because I also saw a 2500 truck with 13"(or larger, not sure) drums on a 6 lug and wondered about that going on a 6 lug Astro axle.

Thanks
~Junior

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.