Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

04 AWD: Ever get a "stuck" encoder motor?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  DRZ 
#1 ·
Hey guys, new user here. I'll post pics soon!

Got a 2004 AWD, mint condition, ex-Labatts passenger van painted custom 25U blue, with a mild 2" lift. Think this thing is the best thing ever haha. I use it to run my side-business.

Problem is the driveline binds and makes a loud "pop" in the front diff area. Problem is intermittent, will start when turning a tight corner. But once it starts, will pop even going straight. Problem has gotten worse lately and has become more frequent.

I've done the fluids in every diff full synthetic. In fact I've done the xfer case myself twice with GM ATII (edit).

The reason why I think the encoder motor is "stuck" (causing binding in the driveline) is that it continues for a while even after I pull the 20A AWD fuse, but then it goes away - and stays away.

I also plan to open up the front diff and see if there are gear problems. I can't see the front diff having issues before the rear since it gets used less. As well the gears in the front diff are turning anyway and no issues when AWD is disabled.

Thanks in advance for your help folks!
Eric

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks guys, yes I did put ATII in the xfer, sorry synth was only the diffs.

An encoder motor is much cheaper than a diff rebuild so I'm sure hoping I can get away with just that.

The previous owner did replace several components, including the encoder motor and I'm sure he didn't put in OEM.

#5 ·
I've gone through two in a year.

When you remove the encoder, use a 9/16 wrench on the cam that the encoder controls. If it rotates smoothly, and springs back to its original position , the case is probably good.

#6 ·
Thanks again for the feedback guys...is there any way to remove the encoder without removing the front north-south driveshaft?

Per GreenMachine:

Super easy to do 4 dr shaft bolts three encoder
Bolts. Take about 20 minutes. Hardest part was sliding the front driveshaft out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.