Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Where to get driveshaft.....

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Big_kid 
#1 ·
I was getting some vibration after gettin my new rear end installed when i hit the 65mph range and the mechanic told me both my front and rear driveshafts are slightly bent, do you guys know any places in ny that rebuilds them or where i can get them besides the junkyards????

#4 ·
How did you determine that the driveshafts are bent? I've seen plenty of driveshafts that were bent but properly balanced so they caused no vibrations. Logic would dictate that the new rear end is the source of your vibration. I'm just trying to save you some money and heartache. :D

#5 ·
Well, we put it on a lift and held a flat head scre driver bout 1/4" away from the driveshaft and put it one drive, the driveshaft would then start hittin the flat head meaning it isnt perfectly straight. I cant seem to find a shop that rebalances, i only found one bout an hr away from me and they are charging $350 for the front shaft and $275 for the rear which isnt worth it, i just purchased a rear on ebay for $40 so lets see if it wrks.

#6 ·
if you had the rear end apart then the rive shaft came out. when you took it out did you check the quality of the u-joints? one pin was missing from one of my caps and it seemed like they would fly out of the vehicle at 40. two new u-joints and fixed smooth through all ranges of speed. at 10 a piece its good practice to replace them as if the rear was wore out they also have the same amount of time on them

#8 ·
definitely. the weights are just tacked on. if there is a strong impact like saying hitting the road at 55 then it could have knocked one off. also it may have bent it differently than it was at first and that would cause a vibration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.