Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

93 Front Dfferential Bushings problem

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  ChesterBud 
#1 ·
I have a 1993 ASTRO AWD that the front differential bushing (lower rear) is gone. It has caused the differential to shift up into my oil lines & cut them. Also , it has broken the passenger side axle support bracket. I have replaced the bracket & have new lines & bushing. My question is, do I have to break down the entire font end drive assembly to replace the bushing? I don't see many ways to get the new bushing in with out breaking it down. I am prepared to do so, just hoping there is an easy way to do so that I don't see... Please help!!!!

:feedback:

Thanks

ChesterBud
1993 Astro AWD Ext CL

#4 ·
Thanks Jim, I have seen that post... That is just how my barcket looked but it didn't damage my frame. I cought it the next day.(I heard the barcket snap the day before). Mine isn't as bad as the gentelman in the post. Looks like his Diff beat his van up pretty good. Not much in the post about the break down other than he did it. Just hoping that I could get to the bushing without removing the Diff.

#6 ·
If its the lower driver's side bushing only there is a good chance you might be able to unbolt the CV's, the passenger side axle tube(not the bracket from the frame) and the lower DS rear bolt and rotate the diff down just enough to change that bushing. If you are going that far, you might just want to remove the DS upper bolt, and unbolt the idler arms at the frame to pull the steering linkage out of the way and drop the whole diff assembly.

#7 ·
I think its pretty easy to pull out the whole front diff. Theres 6 bolts at each CV halfshaft, and 4 big bolts hold it in. One of those has a bad or missing rubber bushing. I pulled my front axle out recently to change worn out half shafts, and it wasn't that hard. Undo the bolts and it falls out almost. Nothing in the way. I didn't undo any of the steering.

The reason I say to pull it out is so you can have a real good look at the rest of the fasteners & Bushings, and look for rust like I say in that thread Jim pointed out. = Peace of mind afterwards.

#8 ·
Did it pretty much like you said Offroad Safari...I was able to get it down enough to remove the old bushing. I had to disconnect the steering to give it enough room to slide forward. Also, had to disconnect the drive shaft so it would move forward. Not too bad so far. Will update once I get here back on the road. Thanks for the help & BTW, I love that pic of your Van!!!

#9 ·
Thanks it was a P.O.S. when I bought it, but then again it's not everyday you find an AWD shorty,but it's been a labor of love and sometimes hate. Saying that it had 3 different size tires on it, gives you an idea of well it was cared for.

And I totally forgot to mention about disconnecting the driveshaft.... Sorry about that.

#10 ·
Your a bad bushing!!! The one on the right is the lower bushing, the one on the left is just an old to compare. Yes, it is 100% gone...

This caused: cut both oil cool lines (replaced)
broke axle support (replaced)
small crack in frame drivers side (very small, having a weld put on it)

This isn't as bad as Offroad Safari's Diff problem, but it still sucked. I heard mine sanp the day before I noticed oil pouring from the lines. If you look at the break in the support, mine is in the same place as Offroad's...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.