Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Best way to get a Posi

6K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  AstroWill 
#1 ·
Well, winter is coming, and I still have an open diff. My question is, what is easier/cheaper/best? A junkyard G80 axle, find a refurbished G80 axle, or get the internals and use my existing axle? Right now my right thumb/wrist is sprained, so I can't be lifting all that much, so a whole rear axle from a jy might be out, at least til I heal up better. Also, the p&p yards near me are kinda $$$. When some people go and post their costs for the parts they got, at mine they are 2-3 times more expensive. I'm also not sure about the reliability of the jy axle either.

I know my rear end is still pretty good, and I have a line on some brand-new internals for about $200. While I'm doing that, I figure I could replace the axle seals & check on the gear wear. Yes, new fluid too. My van is also my DD, so I can't be down with issues. I've done a bit of wrenching on vehicles, just haven't messed with a rear diff...yet. So any comments are welcome, I hope to have it done before the end of Nov.

Here's a pic of the internals.

-Andrew

See less See more
#29 ·
Thanks for that link, Jim. I also looked at their Powertrax No-Slip, which is similar to the Lock-Right except it eliminates the clicking noise on turning, and is more suited to daily drivers. I also found it for about $430 w/ free shipping. I agree, either one eliminates the need to remove the carrier, and I wouldn't need to set the lash, and it should be more reliable than the GM Posi. Great. Now I got to add that into the mix. Well, I won't be working on the diff this weekend, so I think window tint is the next job.

As far as lockers go, are they directional? Do they only work going forwards or do they work in reverse too?

Thanks again for all the info. :thumbup:

-Andrew

#31 ·
Dang-nabbit, Jim, I've been wandering around the Richmond website now. Lots of candy in that candy store.

I do not need a new Dana axle and 6-speed. :banghead: I do not need a new Dana axle and 6-speed. :banghead: I do not need a new Dana axle and 6-speed. :banghead:

-Andrew

#34 ·
Well, I had been thinking of going with the drop-in "No-Slip", but as I looked at the rear end, it looked like it needs seals at all three ends (axle & driveshaft) and I haven't even looked at the bearings, so I figured that I'd just go with some good tires for the winter. My thumb is still keeping me from doing even simple repairs right now, so the rear end is on hold for now.

Casey, so, is it just the carrier, or do they have the whole rear end? And I wouldn't mind swapping the fiberglass leaf for steel ones. What price did you pay for the LSD?

-Andrew

#35 ·
icebrrg3rd said:
Well, I had been thinking of going with the drop-in "No-Slip", but as I looked at the rear end, it looked like it needs seals at all three ends (axle & driveshaft) and I haven't even looked at the bearings, so I figured that I'd just go with some good tires for the winter. My thumb is still keeping me from doing even simple repairs right now, so the rear end is on hold for now.

Casey, so, is it just the carrier, or do they have the whole rear end? And I wouldn't mind swapping the fiberglass leaf for steel ones. What price did you pay for the LSD?

-Andrew
It's just the carrier. I paid $150 since it had some light surface rust on the case of the carrier, but they still have a few new ones left at $200.00

I also purchased a new Motive Gear master rebuild kit from Advance Auto for $70 or so shipped, and I am going to re-use my ring and pinion gears, so I will eventually need to spend another $80 and pick up some axle shaft bearings and seals.

#36 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.