What Do Other People in My Situation Do?

What Do Other People in My Situation Do?

Postby RockAuto [OP] » September 17th 2019, 9:14pm

Gaining insights from a relative handful of anonymous product reviews requires patience and skill at reading between the lines. Anonymous reviews of replacement auto parts are even sketchier. There are just too many parts and too many vehicle models to ever hope to get a meaningful number of useful reviews for any one part. RockAuto may have ten alternators with a choice of three amperage outputs that fit just one truck. Reviews of broad part types (alternators, thermostats...) and brands (ACDelco, Stant...) without any specific make, year, model, engine connections are likely to be nothing but vague opinions and biases.

RockAuto's heart icons (Image) turn the extreme specificity of replacement auto parts into an advantage! A heart icon next to a part means it was ordered most frequently and returned least frequently for a specific vehicle. This is actual data from ALL customers facing similar repairs on the same vehicle. That is what makes heart icons great. They are based on data that automatically reflects the myriad things ALL customers purchasing that part for that vehicle have taken into account.

Original Poster [OP]
RockAuto
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: RockAuto has been a member for 12 full yearsRockAuto has been a member for 12 full yearsRockAuto has been a member for 12 full yearsRockAuto has been a member for 12 full yearsRockAuto has been a member for 12 full yearsRockAuto has been a member for 12 full yearsRockAuto has been a member for 12 full yearsRockAuto has been a member for 12 full yearsRockAuto has been a member for 12 full yearsRockAuto has been a member for 12 full yearsRockAuto has been a member for 12 full yearsRockAuto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 153
Alias (AKA):

Re: What Do Other People in My Situation Do?

Postby dan tralton » May 13th 2020, 3:52am

Many times an alternator or starter can be repaired properly much cheaper than buying a new or re-built unit. for alternators it is often the brushed simply wear down to the point they do not make proper contact with the armature.
dan tralton
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA): Dan
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Handicap equipped

Postby Big_kid » May 16th 2020, 1:28am

For me, I'd rather replace the unit. Anything in between removal and re-installation is unnecessary work- You end up with new brushes on a worn armature, old bearings and tired diodes. For me, it's faster to replace as a unit and let the rebuilders do what they do best. Having a warranty on it doesn't hurt either. It's less money to replace the brushes, but time spent installing them, and eventual downtime when the next component fails. I HAVE done things like this in the past, but in most situations replacing the assembly makes the most financial sense.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby markmitch » May 16th 2020, 2:43am

I have to agree with BIG_Kid I would rather just replace the unit then try to fix it myself. Beside the reasons he gave there's also the fact that as one ages the eyes don't work as good and neither does the dexterity. And then there is the time factor. Now everyone here knows my van has not been on the road in a long time but I still need it to start so I can work on other things or move it if needed.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 609
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby Huckleberry » May 16th 2020, 3:21am

From now on I go ahead and replace components.
The water pump on my '92 was leaking out the back cover.
I replaced that gasket (which requires removing the pump)
and then it started leaking out the weep-hole.
Then I replaced the pump with a new one, which is only a $30 part.
Wasted a lot of time trying to "fix" a faulty pump.
'93 GMC Safari Cargo Shorty, "The Creeper" (work)
'92 Chevy Astro Passenger Shorty, "The Classtro" (play)
Huckleberry
Years of Membership: Huckleberry has been a member for 4 full yearsHuckleberry has been a member for 4 full yearsHuckleberry has been a member for 4 full yearsHuckleberry has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: RWD