Tree wins...

Tree wins...

Postby AstroOafAdventurerAstroOafAdventurer is online! [OP] » November 18th 2020, 5:30pm

My side view got into it with a tree. Forgot how close I was to it backing up.
Figure good excuse to check out a new JY for it and grab a spare wheel.
The mirror survived an impact and two drops and broke when I went to pick it up the second time which led to a third drop that broke it :dance:
I had picked it up the 1st time surprised it hadn't broke, set it back in the assembly and pulled up on ramps to trace HVAC lines when I heard it fall again.
Great start...
97 Astro Conversion Van 62k 64k miles
Original Poster [OP]
AstroOafAdventurerAstroOafAdventurer is online!
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 31
Alias (AKA): Thorsteenster
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RWD Conversion Van

Re: Tree wins...

Postby AstroWill » November 18th 2020, 8:50pm

Used up all it's lives in a very short period of time. Lucky for you the glass is easy to come by :)

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby sixsix » November 18th 2020, 9:51pm

I have to admit: did not know the mirror's life-count was only 3.
Have hit pass. on 3 mailboxes, but only broke the mirror itself once - it folded it in at 634 mph, hit the window which was up about 4 inches - shot mirror pieces at 9,000 mph all over the dash and down the vents.
Took 3 years to finally get it all out. We had assembled the whole thing in our spare room - waiting to addt eh last part... joyous years later... ( kinda' like NTSB builds the plane in the hanger, etc, blah )

Have never bumped the driver's side - probably cause I am right there 2 feet from it watching.
Our Altima does not have folding mirrors like "The Van". But they 'give' VERY generously when at the ATM.
ATM lanes and GMC Body Shops are in Cahoots here. They all say, "Enter at your own Risk".

Wait... what were you selling?

I have heard the Canadian drummer likes trees, him? and leeann, both.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “May be hard to believe... President Trump should rest easy and concede what was in fact a foregone conclusion: Another OLD MAN won with only about 50% of the Change Believers/Fools showing up."

sixsix
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby AstroOafAdventurerAstroOafAdventurer is online! [OP] » November 18th 2020, 11:36pm

I guess mine was defective at only a three drop life.
Out of 7 Astros, only 2 had the passenger mirror, a 95 and a 99. I wanted the 95 being in better shape, but the plug was different, so for ease of install I grabbed the 99 which will be fine with a little cleaning.
Nerts toma wheel, the JY charges $58 + $20 core for aluminum wheels! I'll keep an eye out for a cheap wheel on CL or FB and save my money if/when I do the 6 lug disc swap and new wheels then.
Original Poster [OP]
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Postby AstroOafAdventurerAstroOafAdventurer is online! [OP] » November 19th 2020, 7:37pm

So no passenger power mirror. The 95 has a different plug than the 99, thinking it was an odd year thing for the 99 and turns out I have then older style connecter. The older has four wires and newer has three, same colors except missing red.
I flipped the newer connector off as it's too big for the hole in the door and kept the old mirrors wire to add on at some point. Probably a simple wiring deal but didn't feel like messing with it.
Original Poster [OP]
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Return to Exterior

It is currently November 29th 2020, 12:06am

Exterior Forum
ExteriorAnything to do with the outer exterior of your van. Discuss all body modifications and repairs including fenders and bumpers, hoods and grilles, or doors and windows. All body related things like body panels and handles, wipers and roof racks, mirrors and trim.
To create a new topic in Exterior, click this button:
Previous topic Next topic
Recent Image Attachments
Attached by:
kevinfin
in Exterior
Views: 200
Comments: 12
Date: Nov 24 '20
Time: 10:20pm
» Read last comment
Attached by: