New here with a question

New here with a question

Postby rogerwa123 [OP] » June 4th 2016, 5:10am

Hi I just joined and earlier this week picked up a 97 Astro Cargo Van. I am going to transform it into an ice cream truck for my son to earn money this summer.

The van has a fixed window on the sliding door and i am planning to remove and use the opening for a serving window. I am going to go to the junk yard to see if I can pick up a pop out window to replace the fixed one. I have read previous posts on this site around how to do this but I have a basic question before i do that. How far will the the pop out window open if you take off the latches on the bottom. I have a vision of attaching gas struts to the window so it pops all the way open and the opening can be used as the serving window. When done, pull the window down and latch it.

Any help with this would be great. My plan B is to put a sheet metal plug in the hole and install an aftermarket sliding window.
Original Poster [OP]
rogerwa123
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: rogerwa123 has been a member for 4 full yearsrogerwa123 has been a member for 4 full yearsrogerwa123 has been a member for 4 full yearsrogerwa123 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Cargo

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • rear bumper cover attachment question
    by 81SAFARIMATT » March 25th 2020, 2:48am in Exterior
    3 Replies
    Last post by MechBob View the latest post
    March 25th 2020, 5:01am
  • I have a question about the body
    by domsan » April 20th 2020, 9:05am in Exterior
    5 Replies
    Last post by augidog View the latest post
    April 22nd 2020, 4:09pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    September 21st 2020, 1:04pm

Re: New here with a question

Postby sixsix » June 5th 2016, 7:25pm

Sorry so long getting back to you ...
The "Swing-Out" windows on the Astro/Safari line don't have a traditional "Hinge".
It's just a couple pieces of sheetmetal and the Windows do not open far enough to accomplish what you want.

Pretty sure it would break - Go with your "Fill and Slider Idea" instead. Or adapt a "Bar" and serve w/ the Sliding door open. Ours locks open real well and have driven around at events and out west with it open.

Good Luck to you !!

Mike

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “It is only a matter of time before armed citizens, waiting or not for the police, take things into their own hands, fire on the rioters for personal and property prot. & end up hunted like dogs.”

sixsix
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby rogerwa123 [OP] » June 6th 2016, 2:26am

Thanks for the help. I will fashion something myself. Thanks.
Original Poster [OP]
rogerwa123
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: rogerwa123 has been a member for 4 full yearsrogerwa123 has been a member for 4 full yearsrogerwa123 has been a member for 4 full yearsrogerwa123 has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby rogerwa123 [OP] » July 5th 2016, 1:22am

As a follow up to this, I did go to the junkyard and I pulled a pop out window. I took all the hardware and window seal with it.

I was able to get the fixed window out intact and scraped off all the adhesive. I used some of the mounting washers to attach some medium gate hinges. I then riveted the hinges to the door frame.

The window swings out fully and I can latch it with the factory latches that I also riveted to the door frame.

I was going to install a wood or acrylic plug with an rv. window but the curve of the body is too great and would not lay flat.

Now I have a window that Will look normal when closed and a nice awning for my serving window. The hinges are kinda janky but that's ok.
Original Poster [OP]
rogerwa123
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Surfin Safari » July 5th 2016, 1:52am

how about a photo?
Surfin Safari
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Surfin Safari has been a member for 4 full yearsSurfin Safari has been a member for 4 full yearsSurfin Safari has been a member for 4 full yearsSurfin Safari has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Noah
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby sixsix » July 5th 2016, 10:42pm

Now, there's someone who won't take "No it won't" laying down.
Smack my mouth.

Knew you could do it - but to prove it ...
If there is no Photo ... It did not happen.

:banana:
:bow:
:rockon:

I'll have a Nutty Buddy, Please. Extra Napkins.

Mike

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “It is only a matter of time before armed citizens, waiting or not for the police, take things into their own hands, fire on the rioters for personal and property prot. & end up hunted like dogs.”

sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years

Postby WimpTech » July 5th 2016, 10:51pm

...toasted almond bar and a pack of big league for me please... ohh.. and a picture too!
WimpTech - Precision Guesswork... Questionable Results.

My Van Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714
My Other Van: http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/3013 ... ersion-Van
WimpTech
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): =Wimpy=
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: AWD 3+1 Lift

Postby 97cargocrawler » July 6th 2016, 12:20am

I'll take a Big Stick, some Ho Ho's and a dime bag...caught ya! :law-policered:
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby rogerwa123 [OP] » July 6th 2016, 3:33am

At my cabin all week but will post a pic when I get home. I get my truck inspected by the department of agriculture on Friday so we can get it out on the road selling ice cream. I also installed an inverter 100amp your agm deep cycle with isolated connection to the alternator and a music system. This runs an 11cu ft commercial freezer in the back.
Original Poster [OP]
rogerwa123
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby MI_Ghost » July 7th 2016, 8:17am

Just a quick note.
If you used steel hinges, You will want to use a rubber washer between the hinge, and glass to help cushion the hinge when opening, and closing. The hard edge of the hinge could shatter the glass.
~Ghost
Ast' Cargo: 2001 Astro Cargo
Beauty: 2009 Impala LT
MI_Ghost
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MI_Ghost has been a member for 4 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 4 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 4 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Ghost
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: Big White RWD Box

Postby rogerwa123 [OP] » July 10th 2016, 3:22am

Here is the Window with hinges. I am going to paint them so they are not so obvious
20160709_201048.jpg
Janky Hinges - but hey its water tight

Here is Tim from Tim's Treat Truck..
20160709_200807.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
rogerwa123
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » July 10th 2016, 11:27am

Do you leave the Engine Running when serving Customers ?

Nice work on the Window Mod.
Good Luck to him on the Endeavor.

Mike

sixsix

Postby rogerwa123 [OP] » July 10th 2016, 5:17pm

I can do either. When the engine is running it will charge the deep cycle and run the freezer. If I shut off the engine, I should get about 2 hours of freezer run time.

If I am working an event, I would plug in.

While trolling the streets we just leave it running.
Original Poster [OP]
rogerwa123
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » July 10th 2016, 11:50pm

sixsix wrote:Do you leave the Engine Running when serving Customers ?

I was only asking because of the Exhaust Fumes / CC Smell and the Hot Tailpipe sticking out for All to bump into.

:poke: Just Sayin'

Mike

sixsix

Postby WimpTech » July 29th 2016, 5:59pm

How's business? Where's my toasted almond bar?!!
WimpTech - Precision Guesswork... Questionable Results.

My Van Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714
My Other Van: http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/3013 ... ersion-Van
WimpTech
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): =Wimpy=
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: AWD 3+1 Lift

Postby Surfin Safari » August 4th 2016, 8:33pm

Apparently you are not the first with this Idea http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5715885447.html
Surfin Safari
Years of Membership: Surfin Safari has been a member for 4 full yearsSurfin Safari has been a member for 4 full yearsSurfin Safari has been a member for 4 full yearsSurfin Safari has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Noah
Van Model Year: 1999

Postby rogerwa123 [OP] » August 9th 2016, 3:41am

Business is very good.. If you put the time in you can do quite well. My profit margin on the products is about 63%. Its my truck and my business but my son is the primary driver. He was out saturday for about 3 hours and he pulled in about $300 in sales. WE are just finding the good locations and have ramped up the sales accordingly..

My deal with my son is that he gets 50% of our sales profit which is about $31 for every $100 sold. It works well for him and for us so that we are not paying when there is no sales.

Just this last weekend he was parked at a local park and a guy bought about $12 worth of stuff and came back and gave my son $100 and asked to pass out as many $1 items as we had to people in the park and to keep the rest as a tip. Pretty sweet deal considering our $1 items cost about .39C. He passed out a bunch of them to everyone in the park and still got a healthy tip.

The mods to the van are working perfectly. I just need to fix the vents and the AC.

That van in the CL ad is butt ugly.
Original Poster [OP]
rogerwa123
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby DirtinLa » April 28th 2017, 6:20pm

rogerwa123 wrote:As a follow up to this, I did go to the junkyard and I pulled a pop out window. I took all the hardware and window seal with it.

I was able to get the fixed window out intact and scraped off all the adhesive. I used some of the mounting washers to attach some medium gate hinges. I then riveted the hinges to the door frame.

The window swings out fully and I can latch it with the factory latches that I also riveted to the door frame.

I was going to install a wood or acrylic plug with an rv. window but the curve of the body is too great and would not lay flat.

Now I have a window that Will look normal when closed and a nice awning for my serving window. The hinges are kinda janky but that's ok.

I know I'm reviving an old topic here but I need help please...

May I please get some detailed pictures and exact text as to how you achieved this?

I am converting to an ice cream van and need this type of window...

any help more help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanx in advance

-=Fred=-
DirtinLa
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: DirtinLa has been a member for 3 full yearsDirtinLa has been a member for 3 full yearsDirtinLa has been a member for 3 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: Ice Cream Van