Passenger door on 2000 Astro Van not closing correctly

Passenger door on 2000 Astro Van not closing correctly

Postby pjoann50 [OP] » June 15th 2008, 8:17am

Last September I had to have the windshield replaced on my 2000 Astro Van.
Since the replacement there is a wind sound and the passenger door isn't shutting correctly.
I think the trim that is being used on the replacement windshield isn't being installed like the original and
is preventing the door from closing correctly.
The glass company has come out and replaced the window 3 times. They say this is the trim that comes with
the window and is the same as the original. Today they came out again and pretty much said tough luck there
is nothing wrong with our installation. It's your doors, you are hearing the sound of the wind on your LARGE
side mirrors, or maybe you are just hearing street noise, the van is 8 years old and you have to expect it to be this
way. This installer even went so far as to tell me he has one of these vans and his makes so much noise that he
can't talk on his cell phone because of the wind noise. There was no wind sounds or problems with the door
sealing up against the weather stripping before the new windshield installation.
He said he is coming out next Saturday with his boss who can then tell me that everything is okay and the wind noise
is my imagination or else due to the age of the van.
I saw another Astro van today and asked the owner if I could look at how their door lines up with the window trim and how
it shuts up against it. What I saw was that my new trim is much thicker than the original, and it is flat while the original
Astro van trim was thinner and didn't actually have the door shutting on it. Mine now goes over the weatherstripping and the
top of the door has to shut over both pieces, while the other Astro vans door was really only shutting over the weather stripping. The trim for the windshield actually has a line and indentation on it where the door is closing over it, the window guy said Hey, that means there is a good seal there. I disagreed and said that was why my door wasn't shutting correctly.

Last week driving on the expressway in the rain, the wind was blowing the top of the passenger door, you could see
it moving and the passenger was getting wet. The top of the door isn't suppose to shut over both of these pieces.
On the Astro van I looked at today when the door is closed it looks like it's closing over both the windshield trim and
the weather stripping but with the door open you can see that it doesn't shut over the window shield trim. That
trim stopped short of the weather stripping, unlike mine which covers the weather stripping.

I need something to show these guys next week when they come out.
If someone on this forum has a 2000 Astro van with the original windshield and could email me pictures
of your windshield trim and how it matches up to the weather stripping on the door and how the door
doesn't actually have to close on that trim and only on the weather stripping I would have something to
show these guys to prove my case that this wind noise is coming from the door having to shut over the incorrect
window trim.

By the way the 2nd time they came out to look at the windshield that guy also claimed to have an Astro van and
he said his makes so much wind noise he can't listen to the radio. They must really think I'm stupid.

Wish I could have about 5 Astro Vans lined up in my driveway next Saturday when the "BOSS" comes out so
I could really prove my point and make them eat their words.
Original Poster [OP]
pjoann50
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: pjoann50 has been a member for 12 full yearspjoann50 has been a member for 12 full yearspjoann50 has been a member for 12 full yearspjoann50 has been a member for 12 full yearspjoann50 has been a member for 12 full yearspjoann50 has been a member for 12 full yearspjoann50 has been a member for 12 full yearspjoann50 has been a member for 12 full yearspjoann50 has been a member for 12 full yearspjoann50 has been a member for 12 full yearspjoann50 has been a member for 12 full yearspjoann50 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):