Hey Hey Hello Need a hand with a stuck front door

Hey Hey Hello Need a hand with a stuck front door

Postby Moneyjones [OP] » February 14th 2011, 12:01am

Hello all
Been a reader for a while and have gotten a lot of great info here
But now i have a problem i cant seem to get a handle on
I have a 96 gmc safari awd
and have been thru a few front door handles so been down that road a few times and yep that top nut is a beast think i ll do that mod to get to the top nut i saw here
So after replacing the driver door handle about a week ago it stopped working 2 days later as in it pulls but does nothing.
see that it seems to be jammed and requires a little proding with a screw driver to get it to reset. so perhaps i got the wrong one and that can be fixed BUT the bigger problem is that the door is stuck shut
I cant seem to open it from the inside pulling the door panel back (cant seem to remove it with the door shut) enough to see the rods working and trying to get them to go a little farther doesnt seem to help
So i guess my question is this Is there a way to so how Manuely trip the door latch like with a screw driver or something in the latch mechanism it self
Or any other way to get the door open
Hope i have explained it well enough and thanks for all the info over the years and any help you can shed on this
Original Poster [OP]
Moneyjones
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Moneyjones has been a member for 9 full yearsMoneyjones has been a member for 9 full yearsMoneyjones has been a member for 9 full yearsMoneyjones has been a member for 9 full yearsMoneyjones has been a member for 9 full yearsMoneyjones has been a member for 9 full yearsMoneyjones has been a member for 9 full yearsMoneyjones has been a member for 9 full yearsMoneyjones has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: awd

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Front door bumpers.
    by copperhead » July 17th 2020, 11:21pm in Exterior
    3 Replies
    Last post by Leeann_93 View the latest post
    July 18th 2020, 12:17am
  • Installing Roof Top Tent, Do I need to change stock rack?
    by JoeJITSU » June 18th 2020, 10:50pm in Exterior
    8 Replies
    Last post by JoeJITSU View the latest post
    June 22nd 2020, 8:46am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 27th 2020, 3:47pm

Re: Hey Hey Hello Need a hand with a stuck front door

Postby paintdrying » February 14th 2011, 3:03am

I hate when things like this happen. I would roll the window all the way down and fish around in the door with a coat hanger and try and grab hold of something to pop open door. You could razor knife the panel, but you already know that.
1999 chevy astro van awd ls 108,000 miles
parts van 2000 astro rwd 279,000 miles
paintdrying
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 94
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 108 000

Postby RECox286 » February 14th 2011, 4:44am

Sometimes the only way in is to grind or drill off the handle from the outside until the fasteners fall off. I've had the problem that you are having, and well, to be blunt, it ain't no fun.

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby Moneyjones [OP] » February 14th 2011, 6:53pm

Thanks for the input
I can get the door panel back enough to accesses the control rods to the latch mechanism the problem is they dont seem to be making the latch work
and i have tried poking and prodding the latch with a metal rod to see if i can trip it some how
what i,l left thinking is that the latch unit it self is somehow bound up
If i can today I,ll see if I can disable the out side door handle via the rod from it and retry the inside one
But i can see the inter handle rod moving its full distance just nothing happening
and yep its unlocked both the power lock and manuel over ride are working
Original Poster [OP]
Moneyjones
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Moneyjones has been a member for 9 full yearsMoneyjones has been a member for 9 full yearsMoneyjones has been a member for 9 full yearsMoneyjones has been a member for 9 full yearsMoneyjones has been a member for 9 full yearsMoneyjones has been a member for 9 full yearsMoneyjones has been a member for 9 full yearsMoneyjones has been a member for 9 full yearsMoneyjones has been a member for 9 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby paintdrying » February 14th 2011, 9:36pm

grind the outside handle, I like that. At least it would make me feel good.
1999 chevy astro van awd ls 108,000 miles
parts van 2000 astro rwd 279,000 miles
paintdrying
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 94
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 108 000

Postby cowboydan » February 15th 2011, 12:58am

i have fixed a few doors before so let me ask a couple questions. does the outside door handle work? were you able to remove the inside panel? not many people have ever seen the inside of the door. unless you have a mirror your kinda hooped. you need to be able to see inside the door. you can gain access to the rod that connects to the mechanism just by removing the plastic cover that is clipped just above the handle, no need to pull the panel off. the rod that operates the door latch is the top one. if it is just swinging in the wind... get a stick mirror. can you get a pic of where you are on this?
97 astro 4.3w AWD hotrod stand in and multi purpose custom cruizer: DD
2006 sebring 2.7 touring: DD
1990 f150 super cab 5.8/ 351w dual fuel: dq
1980 buick regal sport coupe???
1976 460/c6 ford e350 21' motorhome project
cowboydan
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: cowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 67
Alias (AKA): cbd
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3w CL AWD

Postby Moneyjones [OP] » February 16th 2011, 6:46pm

Thanks for the info guys
Dan thanks for taking the time to post, I have been inside the door before. Replaced the power window regulator a year ago and this is the second door handle in 2 years.
Because the door wont open i cant remove the door panel it self but i can lower the window and release the top enough to pull it back far enough to see and accesses the control rods up to the point about 6 inches from the latch side of the door
So when i use the inside door handle I can see the rod moving on the latch it self . But the door wont budge I have even tried pulling and pushing the rod further to see if another 1/4 inch would make it open .
My first thought was one of the rod came loose those plastic washer clips are getting old but there still hooked up .
It just seems as if the latch itself is bound up. I was hoping there was a way to "trip" the latch maybe thru the top or something.
Might be able to hit a junk yard this weekend and pull one to look at the latch closer
Ill try to get a pic in the next day or so posted up here
Thanks again for any help you can provide
Original Poster [OP]
Moneyjones
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby cowboydan » February 17th 2011, 12:50am

np, it just seems unlikely that it would bind up that way. rust? spray the crap out of it with wd40. the mechanism is covered by a plate backing, could be difficult if you can't see. i don't see a way to drill or hack it out while the door is closed. hopefully, it just needs oil. usually when that thing binds up, it binds after the door is open, so when youshut the door it bangs off of the latch pin. i have also seen where the latch fails going around a corner, then the doo flies open...lol. this one is a 1st for me.
97 astro 4.3w AWD hotrod stand in and multi purpose custom cruizer: DD
2006 sebring 2.7 touring: DD
1990 f150 super cab 5.8/ 351w dual fuel: dq
1980 buick regal sport coupe???
1976 460/c6 ford e350 21' motorhome project
cowboydan
Years of Membership: cowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 67
Alias (AKA): cbd
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3w CL AWD