anybody cut tin top to install a TV top?

anybody cut tin top to install a TV top?

Postby astrosafari2000 [OP] » February 3rd 2017, 10:04pm

I found these, which don't seem too crazy expensive. http://www.discountvantruck.com/vantopsraisedroofs/AstroTVvantopsCA.htm
Unfortunately, there's no details about installation. I'm wondering if anyone has done this and could detail how? Other option is to try to cut a conversion van roof off at a junkyard, but don't know how feasible that is either.
Original Poster [OP]
astrosafari2000
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: astrosafari2000 has been a member for 3 full yearsastrosafari2000 has been a member for 3 full yearsastrosafari2000 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA): skettikat
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Jerry Can Mount Install
    by joeg » September 24th 2020, 11:43pm in Exterior
    3 Replies
    Last post by icebrrg3rd View the latest post
    September 26th 2020, 2:23am
  • SteelRubber Dutch Door Seal Install
    by AstroOafAdventurer » October 21st 2020, 8:47pm in Exterior
    0 Replies
    Last post by AstroOafAdventurer View the latest post
    October 21st 2020, 8:47pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 19th 2021, 2:37am

Re: anybody cut tin top to install a TV top?

Postby WoodButcher » February 4th 2017, 12:47am

$3224.00 shipped, no liner, no gelcoat. No thanks.

If your close enough to pick up maybe but I'd be looking at junkyards first. $1,600 ain't chump change to me.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby gavio » February 4th 2017, 1:40am

Other option is to try to cut a conversion van roof off at a junkyard, but don't know how feasible that is either.

That's how I'd go about it....

I pulled one off at Pick n Pull to use as a shell for my poptop... It took me and a buddy about 5 hours working at a reasonably mellow pace... Exactly how they are attached differs a little depending on the manufacturer (and there have been a LOT of different manufacturers over the years) but in general it's a mix of sealant and screws.... The technology on older conversion vans is pretty primitive, just regular screws and what-not, no complex hidden fasteners or anything.....

The kind I got is the so-called reverse flange type, which has a mounting flange that is turned back into the inside... It's screwed down with a bazillion screws that go up through the sheetmetal into the flange from inside... After stripping out the trim, we removed all the screws and then used a pull-wire to break the sealant all the way around, and voila, a loose conversion van roof.... There is another kind that is attached with screws that go through molding on the outside of the top, so there you would be working from outside instead of inside....

After it's off, take careful measurements of how the donor van is cut and so on, and then just reverse the procedure - no doubt a bit harder done than said, but in principle, that's it..... Hardest part will be the moment right before you take a saw to your van's sheet metal... After that it's all easy...

My top cost me $90, plus the c-note I threw my buddy for helping, and another bonus is that if I'd been planning to reinstall it as a conversion roof, I could have had all the interior trim pieces already cut to shape to go with it....

T avoid endlessly driving to yards and finding no hightops, I signed up at row52.com and then just watched the listings as new Astro vans showed up to see when one came in to a yard near enough with a hightop I wanted - probably took about 3 or 4 months of waiting.....
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
gavio
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 77
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD

Postby astrosafari2000 [OP] » February 4th 2017, 4:15am

Wow, this is very helpful. Thank you. Maybe this is my poor math/geometry skill, but a cut conversion top wouldnt fit inside a regular Safari for transport would it?
Original Poster [OP]
astrosafari2000
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: astrosafari2000 has been a member for 3 full yearsastrosafari2000 has been a member for 3 full yearsastrosafari2000 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA): skettikat
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: SLE AWD

Postby WoodButcher » February 4th 2017, 5:23am

Strap it on top.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby WimpTech » February 4th 2017, 6:34am

Nice high top at LKQ sun Valley right now...
WimpTech - Precision Guesswork... Questionable Results.

My Van Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714
My Other Van: http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/3013 ... ersion-Van
WimpTech
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): =Wimpy=
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: AWD 3+1 Lift

Postby gavio » February 4th 2017, 7:40am

a cut conversion top wouldnt fit inside a regular Safari for transport would it?

Depends on which style you get..... There's a style that is wide and extends all the way to the very edges of the roof, and there's a style that fits between the rain gutters....

I got the kind that fits between the gutters, and bringing it home, we just slid it in from the back and rested it on top of the rear dutch doors, with it sticking out through the hatch - had a couple inches to spare in width.... The style that goes all the way to the roof edges would not have fit like that....
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
gavio
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 77
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD