Switch to full site
Anything to do with the outer exterior of your van. Discuss all body modifications and repairs including fenders and bumpers, hoods and grilles, or doors and windows. All body related things like body panels and handles, wipers and roof racks, mirrors and trim.
Post a reply

Project: Barn Door to Dutch Door

April 25th 2011, 9:51pm

After doing some research here on the forums, other forums, and asking my local neghborhood body man, I decided to go ahead and start my swap from barn doors to dutch doors.

This thread will illustrate the steps needed to accomplish this, including any mistakes I make along the way.

The guinea pig going under the knife (ignore the rear ground effects, that project is posted elsewhere here on the forums):

Step 1: Find some doors to swap!
I find that using craigslist yields better results than Ebay for these kinds of things. I was able to locate a complete set of 6 doors from a newer van for $150 picked up. All doors are complete with power everything, door panels, speakers, wiring, mirrors, glass, and virtually rust free. If you are willing to travel a little distance, might I suggest www.searchtempest.com to search multiple cities on cragslist.

Here are 3 of the doors I picked up:

Stay tuned for more.

Re: Project: Barn Door to Dutch Door

April 26th 2011, 1:25am

Grabbed the rest of the doors today. I'll take pics as soon as it stops raining.

April 26th 2011, 8:54am

good luck with the project. I will be door searching this weekend.

May 18th 2011, 6:54pm

Any progress

May 22nd 2011, 12:45am

No progress lately other than stripping the passenger doors down to pull the inner parts for my doors. I've also been busy working on the front suspension. New a-arm bushings, ball jonts, bearings, shocks, and 2" drop coils. Still need an alignment. Also been chasing down a wiring problem.

May 22nd 2011, 3:11pm

CANT WAIT TO SEE PICS WHEN ITS DONE

July 4th 2011, 2:52am

Any progress?

July 4th 2011, 5:01pm

tpibadassastro wrote:Any progress?

Not recently. I've got some other projects going on with the van that I need to get done for inspection.

I got my new airdam put on the front, gonna put the rear rollpan on next so I can my exhaust done.
Post a reply