Side marker lamps all died after jumping the van

Side marker lamps all died after jumping the van

Postby royalh [OP] » April 13th 2011, 3:49am

Hi, anyone helps -

I have a 2001 Astro. Four months ago I forgot my key at the ON position and the battery run out. After jumped the car, I found the radio was locked and all side marker lamps dead. I figured to unlocked the radio, but cannot find any clue what happened to the side marker lights. The fuse is good, other lights are ok.

Any idea? Please.
Original Poster [OP]
royalh
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: royalh has been a member for 9 full yearsroyalh has been a member for 9 full yearsroyalh has been a member for 9 full yearsroyalh has been a member for 9 full yearsroyalh has been a member for 9 full yearsroyalh has been a member for 9 full yearsroyalh has been a member for 9 full yearsroyalh has been a member for 9 full yearsroyalh has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: V6 AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Adding a side window?
    by Star Stuff » June 2nd 2020, 3:20pm in Exterior
    8 Replies
    Last post by Rod's Trucks View the latest post
    June 5th 2020, 7:53pm
  • Side mirror vibrating ( glass )
    by Olivier02 » October 11th 2020, 8:40pm in Exterior
    7 Replies
    Last post by vangogo View the latest post
    October 13th 2020, 1:01am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 25th 2020, 3:35am

Re: Side marker lamps all died after jumping the van

Postby chevymaher » April 15th 2011, 4:03am

royalh wrote:Hi, anyone helps -

I have a 2001 Astro. Four months ago I forgot my key at the ON position and the battery run out. After jumped the car, I found the radio was locked and all side marker lamps dead. I figured to unlocked the radio, but cannot find any clue what happened to the side marker lights. The fuse is good, other lights are ok.

Any idea? Please.

if you jumped it Hot cable on batt and neg on the chassis.Ground was returning to battery though wiring.Not saying it the case but I have seen where the wires got hot enough to melt insulation and actually melt smaller ground wires.I would start continuity checks on ground wires of lights.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby RECox286 » April 15th 2011, 4:07am

X2 on that. Also, check to see if you blew the bulbs.

Bob

GM batts are not jumper friendly. I sometimes use the universal batts with furd posts on top just for the jumping thingy. Not that I ever have to jump my Astro, Ha. The other thing is how the H-E-double hockey sticks do you get to the ground post on an Astro batt when she be in place ? We could start a thread on this one, and it might go a dozen pages...
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby Leeann_93 » April 15th 2011, 11:51pm

That's why I buy batteries with both posts on them for GM vehicles...I use the top posts for jumping (keeping a shipping cover on one of the posts to prevent accidental arcing) ;)

My '92 Lumina 3.1 was a pita - it actually had a separate lug with a cover for receiving a jump. You couldn't get to the battery to give a jump - it was under the windshield washer tank (completely under).
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby cowboydan » April 16th 2011, 1:19am

RECox286 wrote:X2 on that. Also, check to see if you blew the bulbs.

Bob

GM batts are not jumper friendly. I sometimes use the universal batts with furd posts on top just for the jumping thingy. Not that I ever have to jump my Astro, Ha. The other thing is how the H-E-double hockey sticks do you get to the ground post on an Astro batt when she be in place ? We could start a thread on this one, and it might go a dozen pages...

i agree. most boosts are very hard on the batteries. i bought a battery that i keep in the shop. i like booster packs, but i can't afford the strongest booster pack, but the new battery has 850 cold cranks and cost 85 bucks. i like boosting this way, saves my van, and i can boost a friend no matter where they are.
97 astro 4.3w AWD hotrod stand in and multi purpose custom cruizer: DD
2006 sebring 2.7 touring: DD
1990 f150 super cab 5.8/ 351w dual fuel: dq
1980 buick regal sport coupe???
1976 460/c6 ford e350 21' motorhome project
cowboydan
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: cowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 67
Alias (AKA): cbd
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3w CL AWD

Postby RECox286 » April 16th 2011, 6:50pm

Hey Cowboy,

One thing I've been toying with in my head is to wire up a set of jumper cables and a battery disconnect switch so that they will be ready to go when I raise the hood. Just hook up the blah batt, hit the connect switch and go. Not that I have to jumper other cars a lot, but when I do it's always a cluster to get everything together, and either the batt pack is on charge in the garage, or it's in the truck but needs charging. Also thinking of how inane it is to get jumper cables to work on GM batt cable ends. Thinking in terms of the system that is used on road service trucks.

???

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby cowboydan » April 17th 2011, 3:13am

yep. i sparked the van a couple times... it's a pain. my spare battery is for my regal or my truck, or who ever needs a boost. the battery has a handle, and the cables are easier than using those tiny things they call cables on most booster packs. unless i spend more money. one time i had to boost my bronco at work. luckilly my work provides booster packs when needed. they were so weak that i tried 2 booster packs (dead). a friend went home to get his cables. and presto. real batteries are the best i think. trouble is, losts of people can't or won't lift one more than once every 3-5yrs...lol, can't say i blame them
97 astro 4.3w AWD hotrod stand in and multi purpose custom cruizer: DD
2006 sebring 2.7 touring: DD
1990 f150 super cab 5.8/ 351w dual fuel: dq
1980 buick regal sport coupe???
1976 460/c6 ford e350 21' motorhome project
cowboydan
Years of Membership: cowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 67
Alias (AKA): cbd
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3w CL AWD

Postby scott936 » April 17th 2011, 11:35am

RECox286 wrote:Hey Cowboy,

One thing I've been toying with in my head is to wire up a set of jumper cables and a battery disconnect switch so that they will be ready to go when I raise the hood. Just hook up the blah batt, hit the connect switch and go. Not that I have to jumper other cars a lot, but when I do it's always a cluster to get everything together, and either the batt pack is on charge in the garage, or it's in the truck but needs charging. Also thinking of how inane it is to get jumper cables to work on GM batt cable ends. Thinking in terms of the system that is used on road service trucks.

???

Bob

In the Army the trucks had a front attachment for jumping that was fool proof, two different sized pins the the jumper plugged into eliminating the possibility of arching... Now I haven't seen that attachment since those days but then again I haven't looked.. Hey I just realized my van is the same year as I retired from the Army.. What a good year that was.. :lol:
2002 Astro Van Cargo
Air Bags
Yokohama 225/60 17
Overhead console from 92 S 10
Custom Rear Bumper
Custom front seats
scott936
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: scott936 has been a member for 9 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 9 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 9 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 9 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 9 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 9 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 9 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 9 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: 2 WD Cargo

Postby scott936 » April 17th 2011, 11:38am

royalh wrote:Hi, anyone helps -

Any idea? Please.

Radio locked???? I havent experanced that, what is it?
2002 Astro Van Cargo
Air Bags
Yokohama 225/60 17
Custom Rear Bumper
Custom front seats
scott936
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: scott936 has been a member for 9 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 9 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 9 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 9 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 9 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 9 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 9 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 9 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 9 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » April 17th 2011, 3:13pm

^ Theftlock on the radio. You can set a code that, when the power is removed, the radio is locked until you enter the code. Supposedly prevents people from stealing your factory radio...I don't know what that's an issue :P but there are ways around it.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Phantom » April 17th 2011, 3:20pm

There are jumper cables that are called "smart cables' that are for use on cars with computers ans sensitive electronics that are helpful for jump starts
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

Postby scott936 » April 17th 2011, 7:08pm

Leeann_93 wrote:^ Theftlock on the radio. You can set a code that, when the power is removed, the radio is locked until you enter the code. Supposedly prevents people from stealing your factory radio...I don't know what that's an issue :P but there are ways around it.

Ahhh, ok got it.. Thanks
2002 Astro Van Cargo
Air Bags
Yokohama 225/60 17
Custom Rear Bumper
Custom front seats
scott936
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby GeorgeJ » April 19th 2011, 6:34pm

I hate the radio with theft code locks especially when the radio is in care or van that is used. I've experienced that a few times in my life with cars. Usually you have to take it to the dealer or call them for a code. I think I just replaced the radio in one car because it got locked. It was a good reason to upgrade. :D As far as the lights go, check the bulbs and check the other fuses to make sure none of them burned. Usually the fuses will blow before there is any damage to the wires or engine computer. If all else fails, have a mechanic look at it.
I love road trips.
GeorgeJ
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: GeorgeJ has been a member for 9 full yearsGeorgeJ has been a member for 9 full yearsGeorgeJ has been a member for 9 full yearsGeorgeJ has been a member for 9 full yearsGeorgeJ has been a member for 9 full yearsGeorgeJ has been a member for 9 full yearsGeorgeJ has been a member for 9 full yearsGeorgeJ has been a member for 9 full yearsGeorgeJ has been a member for 9 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Bis » May 2nd 2011, 1:16pm

Leeann_93 wrote:^ Theftlock on the radio. You can set a code that, when the power is removed, the radio is locked until you enter the code. Supposedly prevents people from stealing your factory radio...I don't know what that's an issue :P but there are ways around it.

Leeann, what are some ways you would suggest? I would like to avoid taking it to the dealer as I hear they charge to unlock it for you?
Do these come "Secured" friom factory or does the first owner get to create the code? Is there a code for dealers/mechanics?

Thanks.... :confused:
✔ Recovering 3-Time ex-Aerostar owner since 1996.
✔ RC Hobbyist and Dance music nut.
✔ Geeky Astroholic.
ツ Glad to be of help! ツ

Bis
Years of Membership: Bis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bis
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: LS 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby Leeann_93 » May 3rd 2011, 12:06am

The first owner could create a code if they wished. There are threads on here somewhere and on the Blazer forum about how to unlock one that someone else locked.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):