Grinding Window Won't Open All the way. Melted Window Switch

Grinding Window Won't Open All the way. Melted Window Switch

Postby blendergasket [OP] » July 31st 2017, 6:16am

IMG_20170730_185315200.jpg
Hi!

I did some work on my new Astro today and in anticipation of the heatwave that's coming I'm trying to get my windows and AC fixed. My driver's side window rolls 1/2 way down and then makes a grinding sound, then when I roll it up all the way it makes a grinding sound again. I am hoping to get it fixed tomorrow. I saw a post on the Astro page on Facebook today saying that this is likely due to the rivets/bolts holding the motor on slipping and the motor having moved I guess? Does the forum concur? Do you think I need a new motor or regulator? Or is the window just off track?

Also, when I took the door off I broke the window switch. A couple plastic pieces flew off and when I found one of them I noticed it was melted. Is this something I should worry about?

I am including a picture of the broken switch and the melted pieces. I hope attaching images this way is OK.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!!
Attachments
IMG_20170730_185202478.jpg
IMG_20170730_185127664.jpg
1994 Astro Ext AWD
Original Poster [OP]
blendergasket
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: blendergasket has been a member for 3 full yearsblendergasket has been a member for 3 full yearsblendergasket has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 20
Alias (AKA): blendergasket
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Fuel cap does not open
    by N6KB » July 22nd 2020, 5:44am in Exterior
    1 Replies
    Last post by MechBob View the latest post
    July 22nd 2020, 1:06pm
  • sliding door wont open
    by DaHonu » August 10th 2020, 6:05pm in Exterior
    6 Replies
    Last post by DaHonu View the latest post
    August 11th 2020, 9:28pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 4th 2020, 8:50am

Re: Grinding Window Won't Open All the way. Melted Window Sw

Postby chevymaher » July 31st 2017, 12:26pm

You need to take the door panel off and look. It will be real obvious once it is grinding and you can see it. If not sooner.
I lean toward the motor just because it is overheating so bad.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby blendergasket [OP] » July 31st 2017, 5:12pm

Thank you! Now that I have the panel off, I'll test try to open it as soon as I get the switch.
1994 Astro Ext AWD
Original Poster [OP]
blendergasket
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: blendergasket has been a member for 3 full yearsblendergasket has been a member for 3 full yearsblendergasket has been a member for 3 full years

Postby blendergasket [OP] » August 5th 2017, 4:25am

Alright! I got the switch, pulled off the vapor guard and tried to figure out what was is causing the issue. I didn't see anything obvious. I can roll the window slightly less than 1/2 way down. I shined a flashlight down the hole and I see that both sides of the window are still on track, at least the bottom metal thing on the bottom of the window is on track.

The window goes down as far as it'll go and then the gear stops and the grinding starts. I can't see what part is grinding. I found another forum that mentioned that someone had good luck pushing the window down so I tried that. When I push the window down it is able to go farther down, but the interesting thing is the range of motion is still the same. It goes up the same distance that it did before so it doesn't close. I was able to pull the window up and get it closed, and then I tried again and again it goes down the same amount. So the issue seems that the window only has the ability to go up and down a certain distance regardless of where it is in relation to the top or bottom of the window window well.

Does this mean that the regulator or motor needs to be replaced or is something maybe misconfigured in there?
1994 Astro Ext AWD
Original Poster [OP]
blendergasket
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Postby [email protected] » September 28th 2017, 4:41am

Hello Astronuts
I bought an Astro from one honest person.
I knew the drivers side window did not work (all the time, that was the mystery you could never be sure if it went down, that it would go back up).
Anyway, I got a NEW window switch that came with the van. I put in the NEW switch, and now the passenger side window doesn't work, whereas it worked before the "switchendectomy"
put back the OLD switch and NOW the passenger side window operates!!!

I think the drivers side problem is old rusty tracks that increase resistance, and is burning out motors.

Anyone out there have a solution? or at least a similar experience?
[email protected]
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: R@lph has been a member for 3 full yearsR@lph has been a member for 3 full yearsR@lph has been a member for 3 full years
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: She is twenty three