A few exterior problems. with pics.

A few exterior problems. with pics.

Postby fede [OP] » July 18th 2008, 7:41pm

Hi i have a few exterior problems that i have been meaning to fix but wanted to get some advice on the best way to fix it. I decided just to put them all in 1 post instead of making 3 separate ones.

My first problem is that my tailpipe cracked off right after the muffler.
http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 337se6.jpg
http://img357.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 338jt1.jpg
Ive seen some muffler repair kits but i dont know if it would work on this because it is so close to the muffler and is kind of rusty.

The second thing i wanted to fix is the rust i have on the rocker panels. Its pretty bad.
http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 342dj4.jpg
http://img520.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 341dq5.jpg
I wanted to put some of that flat black rust paint that you see on a lot of cars on the rockers, but its too late now. does anyone know what kind of paint that is? or the best one for rust.

And the last one and the one that i want to fix the most is the sliding door. Whenever i try to open it from the handle it gets stuck and i have to pull it out from the back of the door. I found that it gets stuck where the plastic trim is.
http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 339sz2.jpg
http://img183.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 340iv1.jpg
I don't know if the door is off alignment of something but it always gets stuck. my temporary fix is a piece of black duct tape and some lithium grease. I don't know how i can fix this.

Those are my problems. i always try to fix whatever problems i find on my astro but i need some help on these ones. if anyone could get me some tips or advice i would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!!
91 Astro LT
Original Poster [OP]
fede
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: fede has been a member for 13 full yearsfede has been a member for 13 full yearsfede has been a member for 13 full yearsfede has been a member for 13 full yearsfede has been a member for 13 full yearsfede has been a member for 13 full yearsfede has been a member for 13 full yearsfede has been a member for 13 full yearsfede has been a member for 13 full yearsfede has been a member for 13 full yearsfede has been a member for 13 full yearsfede has been a member for 13 full yearsfede has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 68
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: A few exterior problems. with pics.

Postby fede [OP] » July 21st 2008, 2:49pm

any help? :shrug:
91 Astro LT
Original Poster [OP]
fede
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: fede has been a member for 13 full yearsfede has been a member for 13 full yearsfede has been a member for 13 full yearsfede has been a member for 13 full yearsfede has been a member for 13 full yearsfede has been a member for 13 full yearsfede has been a member for 13 full yearsfede has been a member for 13 full yearsfede has been a member for 13 full yearsfede has been a member for 13 full yearsfede has been a member for 13 full yearsfede has been a member for 13 full yearsfede has been a member for 13 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby raycer » July 21st 2008, 11:13pm

Sorry to hear you have all these things going on :screaming:

Problem #1: IMO that if you're gonna keep your ride, I would replace the muffler and section of pipe. Take care of it for the long run.

Problem #2: Look at what Danny has done with his rocker panels: https://astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=130
IMO again, if you're keeping it, fix it right. Don't just "cover" it.

Problem #3: I would check the gap all around the door. You don't have a pic of the whole thing, so it's hard to tell. Seeing how the rocker panel is, it wouldn't
be difficult for the door to be hard to "work" because the rail under the step could be "off" because of the rust and "weakens" the structure where
the runner is. This one is hard to tell without beeing there...sorry.
raycer
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: raycer has been a member for 13 full yearsraycer has been a member for 13 full yearsraycer has been a member for 13 full yearsraycer has been a member for 13 full yearsraycer has been a member for 13 full yearsraycer has been a member for 13 full yearsraycer has been a member for 13 full yearsraycer has been a member for 13 full yearsraycer has been a member for 13 full yearsraycer has been a member for 13 full yearsraycer has been a member for 13 full yearsraycer has been a member for 13 full yearsraycer has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): ray
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 1989 TBI350

Postby johnny-77 » July 23rd 2008, 8:15am

First the mufler thair isnt a real good repair but if you are going to try use the closest size pipe that will fit over it clamp it down and slide the other side in to it clamp it down but it will likely brake again. Second the rocker repair this depends on where you live if its below the rust belt you can use tin and body fill like mentiond above however if you live in a northern state Id replace the rockers with new jobber parts thay will last a lot longer and that can be glued on with body adhesive. Third the slidding door look to see if the two rollers are still there and not missing a chunk one is in the body grove the other is in the track on the interior sealing the third is atached to the door bottom.next check if the tracks have debree in them if so wash the exterior one out wipe the interior one out with a rag and clean out the lower slide under the door at the same time. As for the rollers some times thay will rust and not turn causing the track to grove and alow the door to be out of place. On top of what was said above. Im just puting out sugestion based on what Iv ran in to in the past.
Hope this helps!!! let us know how you making out.
Drive your van hard and long she deserves it!
forgive my terable spelling
johnny-77
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: johnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): johnny

Postby fede [OP] » July 29th 2008, 8:27pm

Thanks for your posts guys! i appreciate the info! I wanna focus on fixing the door first, i have cleaned the tracks and relubricated them with 3in1 white lithium grease. it rolls easier but it still gets stuck whenever you try to open it. The only way it will open is if i pull the end of door forward while sliding it open. it seems to get stuck at the end of the door on the trim piece as i have pictured:
http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00339sz2.jpg
I think i need to readjust the door forward so that there is more of a gap there and it doesnt get stuck on the trim piece. is it possible to do this. i heard if you adjust the striker you could adjust the door slightly. but i dont know how to do this. what should i do?

Thanks again for your posts!
91 Astro LT
Original Poster [OP]
fede
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Alias (AKA):

Postby johnny-77 » July 30th 2008, 4:48am

Before adjusting the striker I would remove the interior panel and where the center trac is mounted to the door "if I remember right" there are 3 nuts that hold it in place if loosend the door position when closed can be changed by pushing out on the door holding then retightening the nuts inside the door. This may require a second person watching on the out side so that its not tightened to far out you want enough to clear about about 1/8 inch past the trim after this you may have to adjust the back latch out to match the new setting to make it lach corectly. The latch on mine is held by three torques screws lossen them and slide the latch assemble inward tords the van retighten then test you may have to move it sevral times till its right. hope this helps!!!!! ps the adjustment to the door track is done with the door just barly open.
johnny-77
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: johnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full years

Postby fede [OP] » August 1st 2008, 10:00pm

thanks for the post!! i took off the panel and checked the bolts but they were very tight. I am very stumped with this door! what could it be??
91 Astro LT
Original Poster [OP]
fede
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Alias (AKA):

Postby johnny-77 » August 2nd 2008, 7:27am

Youll have to loosen the three bolts and move the bracket aproxitmitly 1/8 inch in tord the van if thay will move when loosend. Then test the door to see if it clears the trim.
johnny-77
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement