Paint, Single Stage?

Paint, Single Stage?

Postby Rock-N-Blues [OP] » September 25th 2017, 4:44pm

On my 1991, base model, white cargo van, the paint does not appear to be a base coat/clear coat, but instead, older style single stage paint. Was it standard practice for base and/or fleet style units to get single stage finishes, or had they simply not yet started using base coat/clear coat in 1991? The reason I'm asking is that the body and paint on my van is pretty close to choice and I want to know what I'm dealing with before attempting to clean, buff and otherwise shine up 26 years of never having more than an occasional wash job! :eek:
Thanks To All,
Gene
Original Poster [OP]
Rock-N-Blues
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Rock-N-Blues has been a member for 3 full yearsRock-N-Blues has been a member for 3 full yearsRock-N-Blues has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 26
Alias (AKA): TheBallzz
Van Model Year: 1991
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Base Short Cargo RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • duplicolor truck bedliner paint to paint whole van?
    by joseluisrivera » October 24th 2020, 4:27pm in Exterior
    3 Replies
    Last post by Rockridge View the latest post
    November 10th 2020, 11:54pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 16th 2021, 10:17am

Re: Paint, Single Stage?

Postby markmitch » September 25th 2017, 5:05pm

In the 80's through approximately 95 they used single stage alkyd enamel on most vehicles of that era. Rustoleum is a formulation of alkyd enamel which is oil based
and many older hot rod builders use it to paint car.truck bodies that will sit for a year or more just to protect the body till they are ready to strip it for rebuild/body work etc. Somewhere between alkyd enamel and 2 stage paint they used acrylic enamel which is water based. Your van would most likely be alkyd enamel according to most body shops. chevymaher is a member here and he does paint work so he may have better info. Hope this helps, Markmitch
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 622
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby Rock-N-Blues [OP] » September 25th 2017, 6:39pm

Hey, Thanks Mark,
That's kinda what I assumed, though I wasn't aware of the specifics of paint types and time frame. FWIW, a good wash and good old fashioned Mother's Carnuba Cleaner wax does an excellent job!
Thanks Again,
Gene
Original Poster [OP]
Rock-N-Blues
Years of Membership: Rock-N-Blues has been a member for 3 full yearsRock-N-Blues has been a member for 3 full yearsRock-N-Blues has been a member for 3 full years

Postby chevymaher » September 26th 2017, 9:48am

Get a 3000 sponge sandpaper. Just hit it with that. Soapy water and scrub it like a good wash. Then buff. It will look good as new. The 3000 don't really take any paint off it just knocks the oxidized surface layer off and speeds the buffing process up.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Rock-N-Blues [OP] » September 26th 2017, 3:18pm

chevymaher,
Are you referring to these:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... 473&rt=rud

and then use the abrasive side?

I have very little experience with finishing , detailing, etc, and am also not sure how to properly buff and wax. I've always been a kind of "utilitarian" kinda guy and have worried little about appearance. I don't know what kind of buffer to use or what compound and/or how to properly use. My wife bought me a Craftsman buffer years ago (when I used to have new vehicles) and the only thing I ever used it for was removing/buffing wax. Is this an appropriate unit. It is similar to this:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-in-bu ... ockType=G2

Please Enlighten?
Gene
Original Poster [OP]
Rock-N-Blues

Postby chevymaher » September 26th 2017, 3:39pm

That polisher from sears will work fine. I got one of those to. If your a beginner those are better you dont risk burning the paint.

The pad you show is basically a scotch brite pad and it will work fine on the coarse side. This is actually what i was referring to. They are for actually buffing the car.

P_20170926_103322.jpg
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser