Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Door handles

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  TurnNburn 
#1 ·
I'm sure this is been asked somewhere before, but I can't seem to find it. My exterior door handles seem to work fine on my 2000 Astro man. The drivers door handle seems to be turned in the words resting on the door itself, is there some sort of adjustment to push it back out where it belongs so I'm not trying to pry it out with my fingernails?

#2 ·
The door handle on my 2000 does the same thing... sorry I don't know if it's fixable.

I do know that these door handles are the bane of the Chevrolet Astro! They commonly break, almost as if by design. I've bought a few over the years from Chevrolet (they raped me for about $50/ea). The replacements break too. Depending on what breaks, I have been able to repair them. If the pull handle itself breaks, then you're out of luck.

I realize you are just complaining of an "alignment" issue with the handle.

FYI: I have found replacement handles on Ebay for $9 (with FREE shipping)... they are practically giving them away! I don't have personal experience with these.. but they can't be much worse than the factory garbage. Seems if your going to all the trouble of pulling one out to "work on it"... you might just replace it (for this price). :D

$9 handle Ebay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Astro-GM ... jb&vxp=mtr

PS: I have learned to pull easier on the handles over time ... seems to help.

#3 ·
Yup they do break bought mine from E-Bay and are fine what happens in you condition is the stop area is worn and allows the handle to go past the stop. Will take about 2 hours to replace the first time as it a learning thing. Before I did that I added a bumper to the door under the handle. was an actual foot that was from the bottom of an old stereo I think or some piece of electronic stuff I have laying around. At first I glued it to the door That lasted about a day. I then found a bumper with a molded in bolt. I drilled a hole reached in and threaded a nut on with locktite on the threads. then finally replaced the handle assembly (the bumper is still fastened). Watch out for sharp edges you will loose some skin in there LOL!

#4 ·
#5 ·
1lowcab said:
very easy to do!
Don't tell Wimpy

All of my door handles were like that when I bought my van, slowly but surely, they have all started to break. The new ones do not look like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.