How To: Remove the rear license plate holder...

How To: Remove the rear license plate holder...

Postby Bis [OP] » September 2nd 2011, 12:01am

Just tore the inside of the door (trim) to see if I could see any snaps used to hold the black plastic housing for the license plate and plate bulb as I wanted to pull it out to modify it but I do not want to rip through the protective plastic that is after the door trim as it is keeping moisture away from the inside of the vehicle.

Can anybody give me some tips on how to remove this plastic "housing" for the plate? I don't want to pry at it for fear of breaking it.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Just found this image but its not too helpful:

Link: http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/Che ... 84724.html
Last edited by Bis on September 2nd 2011, 1:11am, edited 1 time in total.
✔ Recovering 3-Time ex-Aerostar owner since 1996.
✔ RC Hobbyist and Dance music nut.
✔ Geeky Astroholic.
ツ Glad to be of help! ツ

Original Poster [OP]
Bis
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Bis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bis
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS 4.3L V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Longer rear bumper cover?
    by joeg » September 10th 2020, 6:41am in Exterior
    11 Replies
    Last post by joeg View the latest post
    September 15th 2020, 4:08pm
  • Bike rack on rear hatch
    by Rockridge » October 1st 2020, 1:24am in Exterior
    2 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    October 1st 2020, 5:15pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 1st 2021, 4:23pm

Re: How To: Remove the rear license plate holder...

Postby chevymaher » September 2nd 2011, 12:09am

Mine was held on by 4 bolts on the inside under that plastic.Here is a pic of it being out you can see where the bolt holes are.I am sure it is similar on your year van.Once those bolts are out comes straight out the back.This pic is where I was fixing the dent my ex-wife kicked in it.Isnt love grand.And you have to take the door handle off almost forgot that.
0324001005.jpg
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Phantom » September 2nd 2011, 1:06am

You will have to remove the plastic moisture barrier to access it , but if you go slow around the edges with a utility knife or straight edge placing it between the plastic and the metal part of door door you can remove it still in good condition , then you can put it back with some butyl rubber weatherstripping that comes on a roll , just peel it off the roll and put it on the plastic around the edges and then push it back on the door , I believe it is originally held on with the same stuff ffrom the factory , In salvage yards I have removed a lot of them ,
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

Postby Bis [OP] » September 2nd 2011, 1:06am

Well, tell your lady I appreciate her sure-footed romanticism and agility as it has helped me answer my question.

Thank you once again!

PS: I guess you HAVE to rip the plastic inside the door to get through to the bolts that hold the plastic housing.... :(
✔ Geeky Astroholic.
ツ Glad to be of help! ツ

Original Poster [OP]
Bis
Years of Membership: Bis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full yearsBis has been a member for 9 full years

Postby Phantom » September 2nd 2011, 1:08am

we posted at the same time so maybe you did not see my post :)
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Bis [OP] » September 2nd 2011, 1:10am

Phantom wrote:You will have to remove the plastic moisture barrier to access it , but if you go slow around the edges with a utility knife or straight edge placing it between the plastic and the metal part of door door you can remove it still in good condition , then you can put it back with some butyl rubber weatherstripping that comes on a roll , just peel it off the roll and put it on the plastic around the edges and then push it back on the door , I believe it is originally held on with the same stuff ffrom the factory , In salvage yards I have removed a lot of them ,

Very cool, good to know. I removed that stuff from a 2001 Hyundai (its like petroleum!) and it got on everything. Not only that but the stuff was very tough to get out (stains).
So when I saw that the Astro had the moisture barrier as well, I immediately was reminded of the last job I did on that Hyundai. :)
✔ Geeky Astroholic.
ツ Glad to be of help! ツ

Original Poster [OP]
Bis

Postby Bis [OP] » September 2nd 2011, 1:10am

Phantom wrote:we posted at the same time so maybe you did not see my post :)

Thank you Phantom!!! ;)
✔ Geeky Astroholic.
ツ Glad to be of help! ツ

Original Poster [OP]
Bis

Postby Phantom » September 2nd 2011, 1:23am

You are welcome:)
Phantom
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » September 2nd 2011, 2:26am

No I was playing elsewhere on the net.I just used a putty knife around the edge it peels right up once you get it started.Just put it back over same place it sticks again.Half stuck to plastic and half to the door on mine.Never ripped the plastic.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Gonzalez » October 7th 2013, 4:12pm

Does anyone now where to find this :plastic "housing" for the plate: replacement... online????
I would appreciate the help.
Gonzalez
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Gonzalez has been a member for 7 full yearsGonzalez has been a member for 7 full yearsGonzalez has been a member for 7 full yearsGonzalez has been a member for 7 full yearsGonzalez has been a member for 7 full yearsGonzalez has been a member for 7 full yearsGonzalez has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 RWD