Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

roof rack options for no roof rack

11K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Yellowstone2Yukon 
#1 ·
Hi,

my astro did not come with a roof rack and I'm trying to figure out my options. I know the factory ones are not that great, but from what i understand if you replace the crossbars with aftermarket ones then it should work fine. heres what i see as my options. any thoughts on these would be appreciated.

-oem roof rack either 50 bucks online new or 20-30 from salvage yard if i can get it off. also on craigslist someone nearby has suburban roof racks already taken off, will these fit? if this can work its probably the cheapest way i can get out of this...which would be great.

-add aftermarket roof tracks--- a little more expensive than i would prefer, but definitely an option. even though get 50% off yakima/thule it still comes out to over 300 dollars

-those all in one bolt on crossbars that you see on work vans. I've seen these as cheap as 100 dollars, but i don't see a lot of people using them and i can't figure out why.

-theres also a guy near me that builds custom 4x6 cargo racks for 290 dollars. pros: would look badass.

thanks in advance for the input,

-jake

See less See more
#2 ·
My take on it for my '93

viewtopic.php?f=127&t=17922&start=340#p910386

I built a ladder rack for my work van the '97 that I moved onto my new to me '02. The build thread is in my sig and only a page or two, easy to find. Not hard to build if you want that style.

#3 ·
AstroJake said:
-oem roof rack either 50 bucks online new or 20-30 from salvage yard if i can get it off. also on craigslist someone nearby has suburban roof racks already taken off, will these fit? if this can work its probably the cheapest way i can get out of this...which would be great.
$50 for a new one(great deal btw) or 20-30 from salvage yard. That really wouldn't be a choice, go with new.

AstroJake said:
-add aftermarket roof tracks--- a little more expensive than i would prefer, but definitely an option. even though get 50% off yakima/thule it still comes out to over 300 dollars
Where do we get this 50% off deal, could use another one for my truck.

AstroJake said:
-those all in one bolt on crossbars that you see on work vans. I've seen these as cheap as 100 dollars, but i don't see a lot of people using them and i can't figure out why.
-theres also a guy near me that builds custom 4x6 cargo racks for 290 dollars. pros: would look badass.
Custom rack bolted to the support members = the ultimate solution and that sounds like a great price for a custom built rack.

#4 ·
WoodButcher said:
M take on it for my '93

viewtopic.php?f=127&t=17922&start=340#p910386

I built a ladder rack for my work van the '97 that I moved onto my new to me '02. The build thread is in my sig and only a page or two, easy to find. Not hard to build if you want that style.
dope! surprised that didn't show up when i searched "roof rack"

couple questions, could i get away with bolts instead of rivnuts? and just make sure i seal them. is the weather strip necessary? cost?

#5 ·
AstroWill said:
AstroJake said:
$50 for a new one(great deal btw) or 20-30 from salvage yard. That really wouldn't be a choice, go with new.

AstroJake said:
Where do we get this 50% off deal, could use another one for my truck.

AstroJake said:
Custom rack bolted to the support members = the ultimate solution and that sounds like a great price for a custom built rack.
i get pro deals on most companies associated with the "outdoor industry"...that being said unfortunately the cargo boxes don't end up being worth buying with the pro deal because of the cost of shipping. cheaper to find on on craigslist.

i also thin the custom rack would be amazing but if possible id like to get out of this a little cheaper.

#6 ·
Bolts are what I intend to use if I ever pull the head liner.
I would use some form of weatherstrip between the body and rack regardless of the type of rack you choose. Not just for water intrusion but to protect from wear. Metal to metal will move and cause the paint to chip that will rust.
I spent less than $200 for everything but I did the fab work.

#7 ·
#35 head rod molding is what I found on the web.
https://www.trivantage.com/Head+Rod+Mol ... m+8+251044
Cool part is it will allow you to tie an awning to it.

More from my '93 thread,

WoodButcher said:
So,
it's been a while since I've updated.
I quoted myself to save a bit of typing and point you in the right direction

WoodButcher said:
I'm working on a rack idea myself now. I removed an awning frame from a house recently and part of it as an aluminum extrusion used for attaching the canvas and framing to a house.
#37 molding-
http://www.trivantage.com/webapp/wcs/st ... +12+251037" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I bought 2 8
' pieces from a local shop, it was just under $5.00 a foot. I figure if I can get a little arch on it so it will lay on the roof front to back It will be great for mounting crossbars and an awning tarp as well.

The parts that I got from the job were from a 20' x 12' awning. The #37 trim was in odd lengths so I bought new but I will use the hardware.
The straight clips will hold a 1/2" rod with the canvas in the J bend and the others I may use for crossbar attachment. Might weld up cross bars w/ a foot to mount to the track, dunno yet.
Well that's what I did, 3 crossbars, I'm finishing the third now and taking pics so when I finish and mount the third I'll get all the pics up at once.

#8 ·
WoodButcher said:
Bolts are what I intend to use if I ever pull the head liner.
I would use some form of weatherstrip between the body and rack regardless of the type of rack you choose. Not just for water intrusion but to protect from wear. Metal to metal will move and cause the paint to chip that will rust.
I spent less than $200 for everything but I did the fab work.
I'm probably removing the headliner anyways so that wouldn't be a problem. and the crossbar you built yourself? also, how did you attach the crossbar to the tracks?

#9 ·
This is a pic of the hardware I scavenged on an old section of track, I polished the old nuts and bolts but you can get new with the track for a few dollars.

And a naked crossbar before paint. I made 3 that will bolt in anywhere along the tracks.

#10 ·
How much wind noise are you people willing to tolerate? My van had the white ones with square tubular steel and an air foil at the front- one of the first things I did when I got it home was remove it. Another reason I removed it is that whoever installed it used blind nuts and they leaked when it rained. Not a problem in Phoenix, but it is in Milwaukee. What I would really like is a plate with threaded holes, sealed to the cabin- that way, I can bolt the frame on when needed and remove it when I don't. I don't think a low profile plate will make much noise but I haven't seen anything specifically for what I want.

#11 ·
I made one. Probably similar to your $290 option.

546706412.jpg

Sealed with RV flashing, self-leveling putty, and then a bead of RV lap sealant, so I don't think it will leak.

I haven't noticed any problems with weight and wind noise, but my van came with a crappy tall ladder rack and had a bunch of steel in the back that I removed at the same time I installed it, so I may not have been operating from the best baseline.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.