Window tray replacement?

Window tray replacement?

Postby smokinjoe [OP] » August 23rd 2019, 5:23pm

So on my 2k mile trip my window tray driver side failed from rust. I had to be 400 miles away by evening so HAD to fix it. The glass was perfect so I had to U pull it to find a glass. No one stocks this glass anymore in Buffalo.

Anyway, I made it to my races at Loudon NH & spoke to a buddy about it & he said a repair kit is available to replace the tray on GM trucks at least.

Maybe someone has gone thru this? I toted my good but trayless glass for the last 1000 miles of my trip in hopes of putting it back in use.

This is a big deal for astrovaners since it seems to happen to all our vans (the perished window trays.)
Original Poster [OP]
smokinjoe
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: smokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 268
Alias (AKA): smokinjoe
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Power Window Motor Spins, Window Won't Move
    by BillyJoBob » January 24th 2021, 8:54pm in Exterior
    1 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    January 26th 2021, 2:17am
  • Sliding door window not tight to seal
    by AstroOafAdventurerAstroOafAdventurer is online! » December 15th 2020, 4:22am in Exterior
    9 Replies
    Last post by sixsixsixsix is online! View the latest post
    January 14th 2021, 9:42pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 1st 2021, 5:05pm

Re: Window tray replacement?

Postby Astro Pop » August 23rd 2019, 6:27pm

Haven't seen a window tray in a long, long time. But I'll keep looking and let you know when I find one.
Attachments
window tray.jpg
window tray.jpg (9.6 KiB) Viewed 531 times
Astro Pop
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Astro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Xfirepop
Van Model Year: 1996
Extra Info: AWD - 5 inch lift

Postby Sailing_Faith » August 23rd 2019, 8:23pm

Help me out here Joe, “windowtray”? Is this the channel the window in the front doors sit in?
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: Sailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA): s/v Faith
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT 4.3l RWD G80

Postby paulo57509 » August 23rd 2019, 10:31pm

I was wondering what a "window tray" was myself. My first thought was those interior storage pockets along the bottom of the windows.

:shrug:
paulo57509
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: paulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby sixsixsixsix is online! » August 24th 2019, 12:00am

Probably talking about the Roller Track attached to the bottom of the window.

I am not sure about the glass/track fitting to Gen II from Gen I - It seems their "Trays" are of a better material and might be easier to find in one piece ( that is if decent Gen I Vans are just sitting around and hanging out at the JY ).

Seems someone else not too long ago went thru the same thing here. Not sure what to search for tho'.

Mike

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects

sixsixsixsix is online!
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby smokinjoe [OP] » August 24th 2019, 4:47am

Ok ok joksters, by window tray I mean the c channel at the bottom of the front door window glass that attches to the regulator track where the 2 rollers go to lift the window.

I could not find it at the LAPS since it comes attached to the window when you buy the glass. Mine was rusted til it was gone but the metal channel that the rollers lift was fine.

This "tray" comes epoxied to the window glass when you buy it.

You can see it in this ebay auction bonded to the glass. Now I have a glass without the metal at the bottom. Looks like all astros suffer this fate eventually. I was told they sell a repair kit to solve this on GM pickups.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-2005-Chev ... SwV2ddG6Fv
Original Poster [OP]
smokinjoe
Years of Membership: smokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full years

Postby sixsixsixsix is online! » August 24th 2019, 5:37pm

After looking at my own shots, your posted [email protected] ad and one other on that same page - I now know the "tray" or small c-channel to which you refer.

Years back ( ok... decades ), I had to form a piece like that for an ( 'an' sounds better than 'a' ) MGB window - same deal - the regulator track was ok, but the window bottom support ( the tray ) that the track was tacked to was eat up.
I bent galvanized 20 ga around a rod and brazed the track to it and epoxied the assy. to the window - using the pass. side as a guide. Oddly like so many others, the passenger side was fine.

That tray/track assy. that is attached to the window bottom may, in fact, be the same for both sides, just turned around before attaching. Wishing now I had taken a few dimensions when I had our Driver's Door apart, so I could compare to the pass. side.

DSCF5142.JPG
Here is our Driver's Regulator arms in the Track and the "Tray" between it & the Glass.
In retrospect - the parts are not symmetrical from drvr. to pass. doors as I mused above.

:blah: :blah: :blah:

Mike

mused ?

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."

sixsixsixsix is online!
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years

Postby smokinjoe [OP] » August 25th 2019, 12:37am

Hey so you soundproofed your door too? Using the roofing stuff? Makes a huge difference.

So no one has a source for these things huh?
Original Poster [OP]
smokinjoe

Postby sixsixsixsix is online! » August 25th 2019, 5:47am

Yup, Peel n' Seal from Lowes - both inside surfaces - mostly the outer skin covering - complete.
I can feel and hear the difference already.
Prep, cleaning and proper application tools will serve you well.

Bummer, yes, it will probably be a few months ( years ) waiting for a garaged Van like ours to show up in a JY.

Mike

sixsixsixsix is online!