fiberglass hood idea

fiberglass hood idea

Postby markmitch [OP] » October 12th 2019, 11:21pm

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-th ... s-hood.htm

I plan on doing this next spring/early summer its to cool at night this time of year to try it now. I have a steel hood with a fiberglass cowl induction scoop I used a glue that is made for body panels as well as rivets and i have finiehed it twice and both times it cracked from moisture, weather changes. So I am going to make a fiberglass hood using my hood as the base. Anyone ever made fiberglass parts? feel free to offer advice since this is my first time making a part this way. I have joined fiberglass parts together in the past so I have some experience. Thanks for reading , 1st gen
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 623
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Relocate windshield spray nozzle to hood
    by kevinfin » November 24th 2020, 10:21pm in Exterior
    12 Replies
    Last post by MechBob View the latest post
    November 27th 2020, 1:18am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 23rd 2021, 6:38pm

Re: fiberglass hood idea

Postby Goosecreek » February 10th 2020, 2:25am

I recommend modifying the scoop so that it bolts to the hood with invisible fasteners and a small seal.
If you decide to go with your original plan use the framework of your existing hood.
Mold the outside of your hood lay up the glass in the mold remove the outer skin of your steel hood and glue bond the new glass skin to it.
The reason it cracks is the differences in expansion rates between the steel and fiber glass, the hood of a vehicle goes through alot of thermal change day in and day out.
Goosecreek
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Re: fiberglass hood idea

Postby markmitch [OP] » February 10th 2020, 3:44am

Thank you, i decided to go back to stock on the outside of my van except I am switching from barn doors to dutch doors and adding a spoiler type thing to help keep the hatch glass cleaner.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 623
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD