First sketch for new build plans.

First sketch for new build plans.

Postby kylfuckind [OP] » March 27th 2020, 10:49pm

Hey guys, new to the fourm. :greetings-wavegreen:

I've decided that building out my Subaru Forester isn't going to give me enough space for a camper build so after a fair amount of research I have decided that some sort of AWD Astro or Safari is going to be the route that best suits my needs.

I've never been one to listen to the old adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it" and have a history of making small changes and alterations to most things I own to turn them into something more my own style. Staying true to who I am I have already taken a little time to draw up a quick sketch of a few 'minor' body style alterations on a Safari. I figured I would throw them up on here and just see what ya'll have to say about them.

Now, before I get a whole bunch of people trying to explain to me how much work it would be to accomplish these things I would like to mention that I am WELL aware of the time and cost that would be required to make them. I have two degrees in automotive, one of which being in metal fabrication, painting, and body repair. I understand fully that the cost would be greater than the price of the vehicle. I'm not worried about that. I'm just playing around right now and wondering what you guys think of the style. Maybe some of you will even get a kick out of the drawings.

The base vehicle is a 2005 Safari. The front end / grill / hood design was taken off of a 2016 GMC Sierra. The taillights, forward cab lights, third brake lights (even when playing games I care about improving safety guys) and extended towing mirrors are off a 2019 GMC Sierra HD. I also toyed with the idea of using the front end of a 2015-ish Colorado also, but I figured I would start with the shape that already somewhat close to the older design.

Has anyone else had any crazy pipe dreams like this floating around in their head? I can't be the only one that's starting to dream up some crazy ideas sitting at home all day. What do you guys have?
Original Poster [OP]
kylfuckind
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Kyl

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Roof Rack Build Question
    by TPP » September 1st 2020, 3:28am in Exterior
    3 Replies
    Last post by 97cargocrawler View the latest post
    September 1st 2020, 4:35am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 30th 2020, 9:09am

Re: First sketch for new build plans.

Postby AstroWill » March 28th 2020, 1:38am

I love it! There was another guy on here recently talking about doing something like this for better engine access. Would be awesome to see it done.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Re: First sketch for new build plans.

Postby Coaster » March 28th 2020, 1:47am

i drive a 2500 express all day everyday. the wheel wells are not an issue in that van at all.

in my astro my left foot sits on the wheel well and my knee has nowhere to go but into the door panel. i have lowered the seat and extended it back 2". i have moved the cargo partition back 2" as well.

my right foot is fine. my left foot has nowhere to be.

ANYTHING to get those darn front tires farther forward will be great. this may be a serious endeavour without a full frame though. that unibody front clip is going to be serious problem
I LIVE IN NORTH DAKOTA
Coaster
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Coaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 113
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3 cargo 2wd