Replacement Sliding/screen window

Replacement Sliding/screen window

Postby Digidonny [OP] » April 20th 2020, 2:01am

Hey all ! I am wondering if anyone knows of a replacement window for the drivers side "popout existing window" My bunk is there and really need the air flow of a nice open window. Like an RV camper window. I have a 03 Astro Thanks!
Original Poster [OP]
Digidonny
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Leather

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Replacement Sliding/screen window

Postby icebrrg3rd » April 20th 2020, 5:17am

Not sure there are any direct replacement for the stock window. Most conversion vans start with a cargo van and get a hole saw-zall'd into it (usually cutting supports). And those windows usually don't have the same compound curves as the stock windows. I'm also going to guess that even though it looks like it, the stock window isn't a perfect rectangle, where the aftermarket/RV/conversion van windows usually are. Probably only way to put an aftermarket window in is to find one bigger than the stock opening and start cutting.

My opinion is it's better to make a screen that you can attach with magnets over the opening of the stock pop-out window and put a vent fan in the roof, those seems to help with interior temp control fairly well.

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 261k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 213k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 180k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby Rod's Trucks » April 20th 2020, 6:04am

I took a couple of pieces of mosquito netting, and sewed several magnets into pockets around the hemmed edge.
I can prop the windows open, attach the magnetic screen on both side windows if desired.
Rod's Trucks
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 19
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby Wiley » April 20th 2020, 4:13pm

Cutting a rooftop fan is probably easier. A tree fell on my van and broke some windows, so when replacing I had to cut out the old seal/glass on the back fixed window. While I am sure the harbor freight tool didn't help, it sucked cutting the old window out. Maybe a better tool makes it easier, but it was a lot of work. A lot of us have done the fans, though maybe you are trying to be more stealth.

A cheap easy fix, when I was traveling I used a bike cable lock and popped the hatch, the lock made sure it only opened a couple inches, allowing airflow at night.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
Wiley
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Wiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD 2 inch Lift

Postby sixsix » April 20th 2020, 5:03pm

Well, if you're talking about the pop-out windows, like in the doors - go to a JY - they are not avail OEM sale anymore.
If you are referring to aftermarket conversion-type windows, sliders, etc, go to an RV or outdoor automotive shop.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “It is only a matter of time before armed citizens, waiting or not for the police, take things into their own hands, fire on the rioters for personal and property prot. & end up hunted like dogs.”

sixsix
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby AstroWill » April 23rd 2020, 7:46am

Digidonny wrote:Hey all ! I am wondering if anyone knows of a replacement window for the drivers side "popout existing window" My bunk is there and really need the air flow of a nice open window. Like an RV camper window. I have a 03 Astro Thanks!

I have never seen one to fit inside the stock window opening. But you could get a filler panel from the JY, maybe even one that already has and RV style window in it. Weld that into place and be good to go. I have made screens to go in mine, but a fully opening window would flow a lot more air than the tilt out style esp if you aren't using a fan of some sort.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to starve the troll of attention by ignoring it and going about your business.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby Digidonny [OP] » May 5th 2020, 4:24am

Thanks everyone... the roof vent seems like a good idea. I am surprised with the popularity of these vans an RV company does not make an exact replacement slider. Cheers !
Original Poster [OP]
Digidonny
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: Leather

Postby icebrrg3rd » May 6th 2020, 4:22am

You have to remember, when the conversion van was popular, the companies would get cargo vans and cut up the sheet metal and toss in a window that would work on a Chevy, Ford, Dodge, etc. What would be the benefit for making a specific window to replace a stock window for a certain make & model of van. Kind of limiting.

Now that the youngest Astro is at least 15 years old, and vans are a very niche segment already, let along the ones being modded into RVs, there is even less economic benefit to making a specialty window. Just try and find any aftermarket product for the Astro nowadays, back in the 90's magazines had plenty of ads for stuff to customize your van. Ah, if only I had stockpiled that stuff...

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 261k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 213k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 180k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty