Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

'99 Safari "Quality" Door Handles?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Leeann_93 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to paint (errr Raptor really) my 99 Safari, and it seems to be the best time to address my door handles. I'd like to replace both the front and the sliding door handles, as they are all in various states of broken, and my paint job will be way cleaner if I just take them off for it. I found a rad YouTube vid on drilling a hole for swapping the front handles to access the upper nut, but can't seem to find anything similar for the sliding door. Any idea on how much of a chore the sliding door handle is, or if there's a similar shortcut to be taken like with the front doors? Also, there seems be a WIDE range of door handle "quality" - it seems they all break eventually, but some are worse than others. If anyone has a recommendation for the "best" door handles, I'm all ears.

ETA - I've got a good sense of which front door handles to buy from the relevant threads, but no clue on the sliding door handle.

#4 ·
I purchased https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BNDIOYG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 these back in February 2020, they were painted gloss black and I had no issues installing or performance. Unfortunately these are not available and T1A TruBuilt 1 Automotive do not have any left now, nor do they have slider door ones either. As I logged in to Amazon to collect the link for you and typed this up, it occurs to me I've wasted your time, these companies buy or make something today, sell it and move on tomorrow...
If I can assist at all: It is a PITA installing our door handles, I found I really needed my telescoping magnet a lot, after several attempts to install per the service manual, I just connected the rod, then feeding through the door and attaching the upper screw worked best. They are also not made to fit perfectly and require quite a bit of tightening to get the mating flange flush. My driver handle was first and there is a slight protrusion, the passenger side was done after and is perfectly flush, I have no desire at all to re-open the door panel and fix this unless I have to go in there. Also the GM manual says to use the access hole, I found it to be worthless :2:
Hope your Raptor Paint goes excellently!
Good luck!

#5 ·
I learned a particular lesson while shopping Bicycles and engines. look for "stock" photos to realize one-maker several re-branders. since I have had good luck with other Dorman products, I went with them for my front door handles. the driver side handle hinge was drilled off-center. it works, but it looks like an old broken one.
IMG_20200505_185410.jpg

I don't have a magnet helper, but a dab of grease in the socket (and box wrench) held the nut while I started it.

#6 ·
augidog said:
I learned a particular lesson while shopping Bicycles and engines. look for "stock" photos to realize one-maker several re-branders. since I have had good luck with other Dorman products, I went with them for my front door handles. the driver side handle hinge was drilled off-center. it works, but it looks like an old broken one.
Mine took 6months to slowly bend the metal until they are recessed just like my old stock ones. I'm going to try fixing it myself with some epoxy and a washer.

#8 ·
I have replaced the handles on my 99 and most recently on the 94 I acquired. Have used these purchased from Amazone. Well made and have held up well. I did drill extra access holes and lubed them well.

Attachments

#11 ·
Toskavat said:
I have replaced the handles on my 99 and most recently on the 94 I acquired. Have used these purchased from Amazone. Well made and have held up well. I did drill extra access holes and lubed them well.
I have those as well, bought on Amazon. They are definitely heftier than the replacements they're replacing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.