Adding a side window?

Adding a side window?

Postby Star Stuff [OP] » June 2nd 2020, 3:20pm

In my search for an '03 to '05 Astro/Safari van, I've decided that I absolutely require having the passenger-side window in the sliding door. If I find a nice specimen that doesn't have that, can one be easily added, or is the structural reinforcements of the non-window door different and not allow for cutting out?
"I call him free who is led solely by reason" Baruch Spinoza
Original Poster [OP]
Star Stuff
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Power Window Motor Spins, Window Won't Move
    by BillyJoBob » January 24th 2021, 8:54pm in Exterior
    1 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    Today, 2:17am
  • Adding extra cargo space
    by Vander » January 19th 2021, 10:18pm in Exterior
    4 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    January 20th 2021, 5:01am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 26th 2021, 9:59pm

Re: Adding a side window?

Postby markmitch » June 2nd 2020, 4:42pm

better off finding a donor van and swapping the doors. Much easier.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 625
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby Mmusicman » June 2nd 2020, 4:45pm

markmitch wrote:better off finding a donor van and swapping the doors. Much easier.

... OR A JUNK YARD

hes-right-you-know.jpg
hes-right-you-know.jpg (66.29 KiB) Viewed 566 times
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby Star Stuff [OP] » June 2nd 2020, 4:50pm

OK, thanks! That would be easy if the van is white, but likely tough to get a good color match with any other color.
Original Poster [OP]
Star Stuff
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby nosxjeep » June 2nd 2020, 5:54pm

Painting a door seems to be a much simpler job than cutting a window in, but I guess that kind of gets at your question. Do the cargo sliders have interior trim that would also need to be modified? Or do we not care about trim?
I can provide pics of my passenger with window if needed, but I've never inspected a cargo. If there is no issue around trim, I can see how the idea of just needing to cut a hole, slap on the seal and hardware from a JY van, might be attractive.

I would suggest going to the JY and inspecting the window, seal, and hardware to see whats what and if you can successfully take apart a good window then just take it home with you. if you get lucky enough to have both vans at the JY then your research will be complete!
nosxjeep
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: nosxjeep has been a member for 4 full yearsnosxjeep has been a member for 4 full yearsnosxjeep has been a member for 4 full yearsnosxjeep has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): NoS
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD 3+1 30s

Postby Star Stuff [OP] » June 2nd 2020, 6:03pm

nosxjeep wrote:Painting a door seems to be a much simpler job than cutting a window in, but I guess that kind of gets at your question. Do the cargo sliders have interior trim that would also need to be modified? Or do we not care about trim?
I can provide pics of my passenger with window if needed, but I've never inspected a cargo. If there is no issue around trim, I can see how the idea of just needing to cut a hole, slap on the seal and hardware from a JY van, might be attractive.

Yes, I suspect that someone here will know the answer.

I would suggest going to the JY and inspecting the window, seal, and hardware to see whats what and if you can successfully take apart a good window then just take it home with you. if you get lucky enough to have both vans at the JY then your research will be complete!

Things have changed over the decades, there's now only one JY locally, and it's quite a drive. I don't yet own one of these vans, so can't take it to the JY.

The main reason for my question is to know whether to dismiss all the vans I come across which don't have that side window, or consider it for purchase if adding a window is easily doable.
Original Poster [OP]
Star Stuff
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby 90safari » June 5th 2020, 5:29pm

I don't know. On my first van (an 85 cargo), I ordered up a camper window and installed it. I did have to trim the lock ring, as it was made for something thicker. It was kind of nice having a built in screen though. It's hard to say whether it was harder to add a window, or try and find a color matching door.
Bob 88 Astro cs and Sue 90 Safari
90safari
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: 90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: plus an 88 Astro

Postby Star Stuff [OP] » June 5th 2020, 5:40pm

90safari wrote:I don't know. On my first van (an 85 cargo), I ordered up a camper window and installed it. I did have to trim the lock ring, as it was made for something thicker. It was kind of nice having a built in screen though. It's hard to say whether it was harder to add a window, or try and find a color matching door.

There is a white 2005 Safari I am looking at right now with very low miles, but it lacks the window in the slider door. A glass shop I phoned said that while there are "kits" available, they aren't as good as the factory job. Apparently if it's ever broken, one needs to buy a whole new kit.

Shrug.
Original Poster [OP]
Star Stuff
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Rod's Trucks » June 5th 2020, 7:53pm

RERslider door windows;
Also, some versions have the hinged window ( hinged at the top) in the slider. My '98 LS has that option on both sides.
I find it very nice to be able to just pop those latches and leave the window open a tad for ventilation. Since it hinges at the top, no rain( or at least very little) will get inside, unless it is blowing horizontally.
It would be a relatively easy, and maybe fun day trip to a JY, to get a door with what you want. Do not lo=imit youself to a Pick'n'Pull yard. Sometimes it is worth a few extra $$ to have somebody with the right tools and experience to remove it for you. A door has some significant weight, and done incorrectly, it can damage the door or YOU, if not done with a way to contain the considerable weight. Dropping a door on your foot, damaging it by dropping it on the ground after you have done all the work to get it loose; does not make for a great day.
I speak from experience with other heavy items.
Most JY's will not let you do the work, unless it is s Pick'N'Pull yard; and even then, you will often need to bring your own tools and jack, blocking etc.
Have fun, and work safe!
Rod J
Rod's Trucks
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rod's Trucks has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD