REMOVING ONLY THE CROSSBARS FROM THE ROOF RACK?

REMOVING ONLY THE CROSSBARS FROM THE ROOF RACK?

Postby Rein [OP] » June 12th 2020, 4:00pm

I never use my roof rack and would like to be able to wash the roof without the interference of the crossbars. I’m aware (or at least suspect) that the crossbars are the part of the roof rack that causes highway-speed noise, not to mention reducing MPG slightly (as mentioned in other threads). I’d prefer to remove, clean up, WD-40 and store for the rare time I might need them in the future.

I do see the adjuster bolts but no obvious way to remove the crossbars without destroying them. If I loosen the adjuster bolts is there enough play to orient the crossbars somewhat diagonally to remove?

Maybe there’s some other way that’s not immediately obvious - I’m open to suggestions (other than destroying the crossbars or removing the entire rack).
2004 RWD Astro Base purchased late 2018 - 3rd time’s a charm?
2000 AWD Safari SLE purchased 2011 - hanging onto for parts and possible rebuild.
1988 AWD Safari purchased very used; replaced engine w/rebuilt; scrapped at 23 years.

Falmouth, Cape Cod, USA
Original Poster [OP]
Rein
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Rein has been a member for 9 full yearsRein has been a member for 9 full yearsRein has been a member for 9 full yearsRein has been a member for 9 full yearsRein has been a member for 9 full yearsRein has been a member for 9 full yearsRein has been a member for 9 full yearsRein has been a member for 9 full yearsRein has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3 V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Astro, '95 roof rack on '04?
    by bradaskins » May 27th 2020, 11:57pm in Exterior
    5 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    June 4th 2020, 1:33am
  • Installing Roof Top Tent, Do I need to change stock rack?
    by JoeJITSU » June 18th 2020, 10:50pm in Exterior
    8 Replies
    Last post by JoeJITSU View the latest post
    June 22nd 2020, 8:46am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 24th 2020, 8:08am

Re: REMOVING ONLY THE CROSSBARS FROM THE ROOF RACK?

Postby petema » June 12th 2020, 5:48pm

Loosen and remove the 2 tapered endpieces in front of the crossbar - remove the crossbar(s). To remove the endpieces you have to unscrew if I remember correctly 2 screws under the plastic shield on top of the endpiece. P
petema
Fueling (Full tank)
Fueling (Full tank)
Years of Membership: petema has been a member for 5 full yearspetema has been a member for 5 full yearspetema has been a member for 5 full yearspetema has been a member for 5 full yearspetema has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): xm4617
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: CL awd

Postby Rein [OP] » June 12th 2020, 6:46pm

petema wrote:Loosen and remove the 2 tapered endpieces in front of the crossbar - remove the crossbar(s). To remove the endpieces you have to unscrew if I remember correctly 2 screws under the plastic shield on top of the endpiece. P

Thank you very much for your response. Unfortunately, I don’t see anything resembling what you describe on my roof rack. Perhaps it’s because yours is a 1st generation ‘91 and mine is a 3rd generation ’04 so the roof racks may be different.

I got a mirror and did see one more fastener, a Phillips screw, on the bottom of the ends of the crossbars. It obviously is not intended to be accessed until the crossbar is removed or the entire rack is removed because there is not enough room under the crossbar to access that screw. I’m guessing that screw is what secures the crossbar to the slide which runs in the longitudinal rails.

May I ask what is the second antenna you have, mounted to the roof on the passenger side? You have a very clean Astro for a 1991! :clap: :thumbup:
2000 AWD Safari SLE purchased 2011 - hanging onto for parts and possible rebuild.
1988 AWD Safari purchased very used; replaced engine w/rebuilt; scrapped at 23 years.

Falmouth, Cape Cod, USA
Original Poster [OP]
Rein
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Rein has been a member for 9 full yearsRein has been a member for 9 full yearsRein has been a member for 9 full yearsRein has been a member for 9 full yearsRein has been a member for 9 full yearsRein has been a member for 9 full yearsRein has been a member for 9 full yearsRein has been a member for 9 full yearsRein has been a member for 9 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby petema » June 12th 2020, 10:17pm

Of course. There is a difference between 91 and 04 on this matter. The little grey ones didn't do their job this time. The antenna you are asking about I hardly remember, there must be some time since I removed it. But I believe it was an antenna for the 450 or 900 MHz NMT cellphone system. As a matter of fact, the car bristled with antennas and different sensors in the first years of its life, since it first was used by the national broadcasting corporation NRK for scanning purposes, finding households and people watching TV but not paying for it! P
petema
Fueling (Full tank)
Fueling (Full tank)
Years of Membership: petema has been a member for 5 full yearspetema has been a member for 5 full yearspetema has been a member for 5 full yearspetema has been a member for 5 full yearspetema has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): xm4617
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: CL awd

Postby Rein [OP] » June 12th 2020, 10:48pm

petema wrote:Of course. There is a difference between 91 and 04 on this matter. The little grey ones didn't do their job this time. The antenna you are asking about I hardly remember, there must be some time since I removed it. But I believe it was an antenna for the 450 or 900 MHz NMT cellphone system. As a matter of fact, the car bristled with antennas and different sensors in the first years of its life, since it first was used by the national broadcasting corporation NRK for scanning purposes, finding households and people watching TV but not paying for it! P

Well, thanks for responding anyway. :) I expect tonight or tomorrow night at least a couple of the regulars will come forth with answers. If all else fails I may just loosen the adjusting bolts and slide both crossbars all the way to the rear and just leave them slightly loosened (with LocTite, of course, so the bolts don't vibrate out) so I can move them as necessary to wash the roof more readily.

Falmouth, Cape Cod, USA
Original Poster [OP]
Rein
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Rein [OP] » June 14th 2020, 10:36am

Rein wrote:
petema wrote:I expect tonight or tomorrow night at least a couple of the regulars will come forth with answers.

Or not. :confused:

Falmouth, Cape Cod, USA
Original Poster [OP]
Rein
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Rein [OP] » June 19th 2020, 11:09pm

Well, no one came forth to explain if this was even possible, but today I climbed up on the roof to wash it after a year of being under oak trees. The price you pay for having shade… I loosened the bolts (10mm) and could push the crossbars forward and back and even angle them somewhat but no chance of them coming loose in any way that I could see. At least now I can move them around to wash underneath. That in itself is a big improvement.

Falmouth, Cape Cod, USA
Original Poster [OP]
Rein
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » June 19th 2020, 11:18pm

Remove the rubber side rail cap from the center support.
Remove the bolts from the center supports.
Remove the bolts from the end supports.
Remove the luggage carrier as an assembly from the roof with an assistant.
Remove the side rail support gaskets.

Rack.jpg

Remove the screws from the side rail supports.
Remove the side rail supports from the side rails.
Remove the screws from the cross rails.
Remove the cross rails from the sliders.
Remove the screws from the sliders and the lock plates.
Remove the sliders from the slots in the side rails.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD