Window track rebuild

Window track rebuild

Postby smokinjoe [OP] » June 18th 2020, 5:17am

So not the track that the window travels in (although I just rebuilt that by riveting the failed spot welds) but the track that the window sits in & is "permanently" adhered to. My old base track rusted out while on vacation last summer.

I got a used window by the skin of my teeth but still have my old front window glass which is fine but the base track is gone. I still have the lower track that the regulator rollers ride in but here is the mechanical dilemma. How to fasten these 2 tracks together? No room for the rivet gun to rivet them (unless I cut out a spot for the rivet gun).

I will post pics of the pieces tomorrow (its past midnite here)

Someone must have dealt with this problem beside me....
Attachments
DSC01495.JPG
Original Poster [OP]
smokinjoe
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: smokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 268
Alias (AKA): smokinjoe
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Any Issue With Using L-Track as Roof Rails ?
    by SportsBoy » July 24th 2020, 12:44am in Exterior
    11 Replies
    Last post by ri$e*above View the latest post
    August 6th 2020, 2:42am
  • Replacement Sliding/screen window
    by Digidonny » April 20th 2020, 2:01am in Exterior
    7 Replies
    Last post by icebrrg3rd View the latest post
    May 6th 2020, 4:22am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    September 23rd 2020, 1:18pm

Re: Window track rebuild

Postby smokinjoe [OP] » June 18th 2020, 4:20pm

OK so picture added to show the 2 pieces I am trying to join. Top one is now aluminum to avoid it rusting out again. I think they were spot welded from the factory.
May try to notch out 4 spots on the upper track to get the rivet gun in.
Original Poster [OP]
smokinjoe
Years of Membership: smokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full years

Postby sixsix » June 18th 2020, 5:40pm

Maybe give some thought to some of those Hi Tech 3M or equiv. Seam Sealers & 2 part Epoxy stuff.
'Glues' have come a long way. And, dont forget - surface prep is key to proper adhesive/hold perf.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “It is only a matter of time before armed citizens, waiting or not for the police, take things into their own hands, fire on the rioters for personal and property prot. & end up hunted like dogs.”

sixsix
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby smokinjoe [OP] » June 18th 2020, 6:19pm

Yeah six I was thinking construction adhesive would work. Not sure its strong enough and yes I would rough the surfaces to get tooth and clean them chemically with brake cleaner.
Original Poster [OP]
smokinjoe

Postby WoodButcher » June 19th 2020, 2:41am

PL Premium wont hold to aluminum. It is a polyurethane based product and one I swear by. I did all the right things for adhesion but it still failed. I filled the inside of an 1" x 1" angle to create an airfoil on the leading edge of a steel 1 1/2' square stock roof rack I built 20 tears ago. (the square stock vibrated and hummed at highway speed)
The rack had been primed and painted which I scuffed w/ 80 grit and did the same to the aluminum. I used ratchet straps for tie downs, lots of pressure at multiple angles depending on the load and the aluminum popped off leaving the hardened PL adhesive shaped to the inside of the angle. I put another coat of paint over it and the PL stayed until I cut it off about 2 years ago. Rust had finally gotten behind it in a couple places so when I moved the rack to another truck I repainted.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby augidog » June 19th 2020, 3:36am

definitely following this, my lower window-holding pieces are also pretty crusty.

this (quick example) is how much length I have if I insert a pop-rivet only enough for the tool to grab it. a steel tube spacer to take up the slack, and some grinding on the screw-in fitting, you might get a narrow enough arrangement to get in there. rivet guns are cheap enough, I'd butcher one if I had to.
IMG_20200618_192738.jpg
IMG_20200618_192738.jpg (48.06 KiB) Viewed 517 times
Scanned original Chevrolet-GMC Dealer "Product Information Guides."
Detailed Options w/RPO's. Learn all about your Astro/Safari's first build.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=142268
augidog
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): Augie
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: AWD High-Top

Postby M_a_t_t » June 19th 2020, 3:57am

Solder/braze?

Can you add a piece to the back? That way you can rivet them together, but separate.
1973 Fiat 124 Special
1975 Honda Civic CVCC 4spd
1981 Kawasaki KZ750E
1981 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100-A3
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo 5 spd
1995 Chevy Astro RWD
1995 Mercury Tracer
2004 Chevy Astro AWD
2017 Kawasaki VersysX 300
M_a_t_t
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: M_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 27
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: cl rwd

Postby smokinjoe [OP] » June 19th 2020, 4:49pm

Yes Matt thought of that too but trying to figure out if the extra steel will foul any of the motion. I figure do the cutouts for rivets and its really slim profile. I have had issues with clearance in the past.
Original Poster [OP]
smokinjoe

Postby sixsix » June 19th 2020, 8:56pm

Well... small edge to small edge - glue/seam sealer may not hold unless there is some holding power like from rivets, nuts and bolts or tackwelds. Maybe some raised screws holes, or protrusions (sp?).
Although the linear and radial torsional forces would be rather low - the window does not weigh that much and the window 'falls' pretty easily when lowering.
Might be better off looking at the roller diam / track inside height and the interference that might be introduced with low profile button heads and nuts.
Rivets are going to be hard to get inside the channel on either piece.

Junkyard for late model window/track - US search shows they are available. Some money may save some time.
Just saying. Look at low salt states, etc, blah, blah.

Ours here in Cinti. are rustfree - amazing, since they think salt is the 2nd cumming.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “It is only a matter of time before armed citizens, waiting or not for the police, take things into their own hands, fire on the rioters for personal and property prot. & end up hunted like dogs.”

sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years

Postby smokinjoe [OP] » June 26th 2020, 2:57pm

So the issue is I don't have any junkyards around me. Plus I have a good window but no track for it. Here is what I have so far. Aluminum riveted to the stock steel regulator track.

I will next decide what adhesive will hold the glass & rubber track into the aluminum & assemble it & install it in the van.
Attachments
DSC01555.JPG
DSC01562.JPG
DSC01557.JPG
Original Poster [OP]
smokinjoe

Postby M_a_t_t » June 26th 2020, 5:11pm

how tight of a fit is the glass in the track? On my brothers truck we had to install a new piece of glass into the track. The track was OEM so it might be different than what you are looking at, but we used some cork gasket in the track part and lightly tapped it onto the glass. That way it was still "easily" removable.
1973 Fiat 124 Special
1975 Honda Civic CVCC 4spd
1981 Kawasaki KZ750E
1981 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100-A3
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo 5 spd
1995 Chevy Astro RWD
1995 Mercury Tracer
2004 Chevy Astro AWD
2017 Kawasaki VersysX 300
M_a_t_t
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: M_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 27
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: cl rwd

Postby smokinjoe [OP] » June 26th 2020, 11:04pm

I don't show it in the pics (but will when I do it) but the window comes with a rubber gasket that surrounds it. I am figuring silicone caulk to bond them together. It has to be bonded or the first frozen day will separate them with bad results.
Original Poster [OP]
smokinjoe

Postby sixsix » June 27th 2020, 2:35am

Wow... looks like you have a nice handle on it.
If the bottom of the rivets is as small as usual - the roller should have no prob. getting by it.
I had them both out - never did a measurement compare.

Oh, I forgot to ask - or maybe you mentioned... Where did you get the Regulator Roller track?

sixsix

Postby smokinjoe [OP] » June 27th 2020, 5:25am

Regulator track was intact from my still good window. Just the C track was perished. I had to rust reform it and prime it.
Original Poster [OP]
smokinjoe