Rear door weatherstripping

Rear door weatherstripping

Postby Vagabond_Keith [OP] » November 3rd 2018, 4:19am

I have the 3 door back end and need the weatherstripping that goes around the bottom of the 2 doors that open horizontally. Water gets in. Can someone tell me the name and where I could get it besides the junkyard?

Thanks!
Original Poster [OP]
Vagabond_Keith
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Vagabond_Keith has been a member for 2 full yearsVagabond_Keith has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: Conversion

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Rear door weatherstripping

Postby AstroWill » November 3rd 2018, 2:58pm

Trolls take away from productive work, best to starve the troll of attention by ignoring it and going about your business.
In 2016 ~66mil voted for Clinton, ~63mil voted for Trump and ~100mil(eligible) didn't vote Make a difference - register+vote!
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Postby hipstermeowtaineer » November 5th 2018, 9:48pm

AstroWill wrote:https://www.astrosafari.com/search.php?keywords=weatherstrip
https://www.astrosafari.com/search.php? ... rstripping

I was actually just getting on here for my first post asking the same question as the OP - does anyone have a source for all weatherstripping for rear dutch doors:
Rear door seal - hatch: 15751726 - discontinued
Rear door seal - drip molding: 15756831 - discontinued
Rear door seal - dutch Left: 15046999 - discontinued
Rear door seal - dutch Right: 15047000 - discontinued

And, while I do understand posting the search terms for the question...I believe I've read through ever post on here regarding rear dutch door seals and haven't really found anything to be helpful beyond the recommendation to remove seals, clean, and reattach with butyl/gasket adhesive.

I guess my ultimate question then is: Has anyone found aftermarket replacement parts for the rear dutch door weatherstripping, or is the only solution to DIY it with adhesive/sealant?
hipstermeowtaineer
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: hipstermeowtaineer has been a member for 1 full year
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LS 4.3L V6 AWD

Postby dramey » November 6th 2018, 8:05pm

I got my driver's door weatherstrip at the junk yard.
dramey
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: dramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD Cargo Van

Postby TurnNburn » November 6th 2018, 8:39pm

If there was a new solution, there wouldn't be 217 threads on this forum asking the same question and getting no answers. There are no new OEM rear door seal, or no one has gone through the actual effort of doing proper research and finding the after market solution for themselves.... and IF they have, it certainly isn't posted on here.

There are literally dozens of aftermarket OE and generic weather stripping companies out there. give one a call and spend some time finding it out.
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Postby hipstermeowtaineer » November 7th 2018, 9:07pm

TurnNburn wrote:If there was a new solution, there wouldn't be 217 threads on this forum asking the same question and getting no answers. There are no new OEM rear door seal, or no one has gone through the actual effort of doing proper research and finding the after market solution for themselves.... and IF they have, it certainly isn't posted on here.

There are literally dozens of aftermarket OE and generic weather stripping companies out there. give one a call and spend some time finding it out.

Thanks for the info - much appreciated. I've done all of that and figured I'd tag onto this question as the last resort.

Cheers.
hipstermeowtaineer
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby MechBob » November 7th 2018, 10:55pm

I sent GM a message/request,about which company(ies) originally was the supplier for these rear seals,told them we were interested in having a limited production run made.I recieved a computer generated reply,thanking me for contacting them,and message would be forwarded to proper dept.Since then,I have heard nothing.But,at least I did try.
MechBob
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby dchan51360 » November 7th 2018, 11:01pm

two years ago I replaced all my rear door weatherstripping with an aftermarket off the shelf weatherstrip material and for the life of me, I can't find the order information. Still looking but it was a perfect match complete with the metal bead to attach it. Just had to cut to length. I'm still looking for maybe the box and mfg/order info so I can post it. I also found one for the sliding door seals.

DC
dchan51360
Years of Membership: dchan51360 has been a member for 4 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 4 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 4 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: AWD

Postby dchan51360 » November 7th 2018, 11:07pm

And just like that..

Metro Moulded parts.. Now if I can find the part number I purchased for the rear doors. It was one of the "universal" weather strips, and not one specifically for the Astro/Safari. I'm still looking.
dchan51360
Years of Membership: dchan51360 has been a member for 4 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 4 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 4 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby TurnNburn » November 7th 2018, 11:16pm

2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years

Postby dchan51360 » November 7th 2018, 11:19pm

The part number is

IS-MW00100

Just cut to length.
dchan51360
Alias (AKA):

Postby TurnNburn » November 7th 2018, 11:24pm

That one part number did the whole dutch door area? Top of the swing out doors too?
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby dchan51360 » November 7th 2018, 11:30pm

What I did was remove all the weatherstrip all the way around the door opening, then started at the bottom, and attached the new weatherstrip all the way around and cut it off at the other end.

I used 3m weatherstrip adhesive and put a bead of that around the edge as well to make sure water would not seep around the seal into the van. It's worked great. Last year while not as bad as the year before, we did get significant down pours and my rear carpet stayed dry through it all (probably also thanks to the holes drilled in the door frame and sealing of the strip across the back over the carpet.

https://vimeo.com/299535850
dchan51360
Alias (AKA):

Postby TurnNburn » November 7th 2018, 11:36pm

ordered on amazon for $35.75 - currently 12... now 11 left...

https://www.amazon.com/Metro-Moulded-IS ... IS-MW00100
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby dchan51360 » November 7th 2018, 11:58pm

yeah, that's where I got mine too. The reason it was so hard to find the part number, is when you order it from Amazon, there's nothing in the description or order info about "weatherstrip" or "moulding" or even "rubber" so it took several searches through all my email and orders to hit on the correct "wording" to find the original order and mfg. in January 2017 however the price was 27.50 but even at 35.75 it would be totally worth not having wet carpets.
dchan51360
Alias (AKA):

Postby CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! » November 8th 2018, 12:21am

TurnNburn wrote:ordered on amazon for $35.75 - currently 12... now 11 left...

https://www.amazon.com/Metro-Moulded-IS ... IS-MW00100

Currently 10 left
Pullin The Pass
CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: CopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): B
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LS Swap

Postby MechBob » November 8th 2018, 12:44am

Well,I own a 99 with dutch doors,but not running,cannot look at it,I can see where this can "replace" the dutch door seals,except for the seal between the 2 lower doors?And the seal where the lid seals against the lower doors?I would go out and look at mine,but has no battery in it,and has a foot of snow on it,lol.Anyway,that part number is the same for the universal weatherstrip for the front doors,and fits lots of other vehicles.It is a shame there is no easy fix for cargo doors,because of the molded corners.
MechBob
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby dchan51360 » November 8th 2018, 1:14am

across the top of the swing out doors, no. Mine were in fair shape and I have never had a leak there but looking at the moulding/seals there, it would look like getting one, and getting a profile to metro, they probably have a close match. As far as the "moulded corners" the amount of liquid I've had come through that area, even in monsoon like rain, I would not worry much about it. It would be nice but it personally would not be my first concern.
dchan51360
Alias (AKA):

Postby hipstermeowtaineer » November 12th 2018, 7:32pm

Just came back here to complain and vent...haha.

Spent a few hours yesterday installing a new seal around the frame, sealed up everything with RTV, removed, cleaned and reinstalled top seal with RTV and rivets ANNNNND...still leaking this morning.

UGH - I seriously LOVE the dutch doors for so many reasons, but the seal design suuuuuuucks. I mean, I guess it's hard to complain about an 18 year old vehicle leaking, but my Westy was 33 and I never had this much trouble fixing a leak on it.
hipstermeowtaineer
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! » November 12th 2018, 7:58pm

Yeah but your Westy could go up in flames.
Pullin The Pass
CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: CopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): B
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LS Swap

Next