sliding door wont open

sliding door wont open

Postby DaHonu [OP] » August 10th 2020, 6:05pm

Hi folks...here's the scenerio: I was unloading cargo from the side and "I think" I might have inadverantly bumped the "child safety" mechanism that prevents daredevil children from opening the slider when under way. I closed the door, went about my business, and returned only to discover that I cant open the sliding from the outside nor the inside, thus my thoughts of inadvertantly striking the safety earlier. And yes, Ive double-clicked the keyfob, but its still a no-go. Am I screwed? Is there a simple fix for this '05 AWD LT? Thank You in advance to the helpful AstroSafari collective.
"Eddie would go..."
- Mark Foo (Surfer)
Original Poster [OP]
DaHonu
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Sliding Door Parts
    by junkylogic » August 4th 2020, 11:02pm in Exterior
    4 Replies
    Last post by gavio View the latest post
    August 5th 2020, 2:37pm
  • Sliding Door
    by rlhogg » October 11th 2020, 1:37am in Exterior
    8 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    October 14th 2020, 12:01pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 1st 2020, 4:05pm

Re: sliding door wont open

Postby MechBob » August 10th 2020, 7:06pm

MechBob
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby TPP » August 10th 2020, 7:42pm

Might sound stupid but this happened to me a few weeks ago. When I shut the door it wasn't closed all the way. Couldn't open it from the outside and the keyfob wouldn't work on it, handle wouldn't work since door was locked. Get in the passenger side and manually unlock the door and the handle should work. Keyfob didn't work on cargo door because it wasn't making contact with the plate.
TPP
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT AWD

Postby Wiley » August 10th 2020, 8:39pm

The clip holding the rod probably came loose, they talk about it here:

https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=80065

here is a video, it is not related to the rod, but his issue could match yours, and worst case he opens up the door for you, so yo can see what is involved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvemdUb26H0
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
Wiley
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Wiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD 2 inch Lift

Postby Old Barney » August 10th 2020, 9:38pm

My 1999 AND 2001 Have the same problem. Some times I have to slam my butt against the back part of the sliding door to latch it fully then the fob will work. The electrical contacts are on the front of the sliding door and the back of the post between the front door and the rear.
Some times the door will unlatch but won't slide open I have to stick my finger in the channel at rear of the door and pull the rear of the door out. No you wont damage your finger!! I still have all fingers been doing this on both vans. The 1999 is gone to JY now but 2001 is still opening with help from pulling out on rear of door.
I think there is something when unlatched the door rear is supposed to pop out then slide back.
Old Barney
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Old Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Barney
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: awd

Postby Wiley » August 10th 2020, 10:39pm

Old Barney wrote:My 1999 AND 2001 Have the same problem. Some times I have to slam my butt against the back part of the sliding door to latch it fully then the fob will work. The electrical contacts are on the front of the sliding door and the back of the post between the front door and the rear.
Some times the door will unlatch but won't slide open I have to stick my finger in the channel at rear of the door and pull the rear of the door out. No you wont damage your finger!! I still have all fingers been doing this on both vans. The 1999 is gone to JY now but 2001 is still opening with help from pulling out on rear of door.
I think there is something when unlatched the door rear is supposed to pop out then slide back.

I bet it is the rod/plastic clip for you as well, it looses its strength, and needs re-tightening.....so maybe yours has just enough left to work some of the time, otherwise the door doesn't pop open. I am not sure that is your exact problem, but keep it in mind since the plastic clip is a small problem for some people. I don't recall exactly what I did, but I did not have to buy any new parts, so it is worth taking a look, I have not had the problem for years.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
Wiley
Years of Membership: Wiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD 2 inch Lift

Postby DaHonu [OP] » August 11th 2020, 9:28pm

Thanks guys...
"Eddie would go..."
- Mark Foo (Surfer)
Original Poster [OP]
DaHonu