dutch door spare holder-my design

dutch door spare holder-my design

Postby markmitchmarkmitch is online! [OP] » August 23rd 2020, 10:02pm

My van is a 89 and originally had barn doors, I was given a 94 Astro with engine problems so I stripped it of what I wanted including the dutch doors assembly. I had a spare tire carrier like the one shown on the web link:
https://www.ebay.com/p/1228272465?iid=1 ... K2EALw_wcB
I decided to try to make it work on my new to me dutch doors first I bought two of these hinges shown here:
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Door-H ... 904-Z.html
I cut the center section from the barn door carrier I call this the center it is the u shaped section the wheel bolts to.
I then after many tries and measuring welded the hinge to the center I decided I wanted the tire carrier to hinge so I could basically tip it away from the body at the top so I could still open the hatch. After getting it to do what I wanted I realized the hinge would hit the door when moved so I had to add some type of spacer to the bottom of the hinge where it bolts through the door. I also took some 1/8 inch steel plate and added it to the inside of the door for the hinge to bolt through and I tack welded it in place as well as another piece at the top of the inside of the door for the pin to bolt through. I then found a hood pin from my box of scrap to use for the top but I had to add a cut down brake spring and a bushing so it was tight when closed so it would not rattle. Thanks for reading, Mark
Attachments
spare8.jpg
spare7.jpg
spare6.jpg
spare5.jpg
spare4.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
markmitchmarkmitch is online!
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 623
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Dutch door handle part number?
    by Coyotecamper » September 7th 2020, 4:53am in Exterior
    5 Replies
    Last post by Coyotecamper View the latest post
    September 7th 2020, 8:15pm
  • SteelRubber Dutch Door Seal Install
    by AstroOafAdventurer » October 21st 2020, 8:47pm in Exterior
    0 Replies
    Last post by AstroOafAdventurer View the latest post
    October 21st 2020, 8:47pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 22nd 2021, 4:54pm

Re: dutch door spare holder-my design

Postby Big_kid » August 24th 2020, 2:50am

Genius!
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Re: dutch door spare holder-my design

Postby markmitchmarkmitch is online! [OP] » August 24th 2020, 3:59am

Thank you, works great with the hidden hatch release button too.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitchmarkmitch is online!
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 623
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD