Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Roof Rack Build Question

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  97cargocrawler 
#1 ·
I'm planning out a roof rack now and had some questions.

-Which roof strut do you attach to the ones that run left to right or front and back?
-How long do the bolts need to be to get through the roof struts? (I haven't pulled my headliner yet, it's been raining for a few days straight now)
-How stiff and strong is superstrut?

I'm debating on making the whole thing out of superstrut or using box steel for the mounting brackets and/or support bars.
Here's a cool build using only superstrut. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/erm ... ld.433500/

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
TPP said:
-How stiff and strong is superstrut?
You need to head to the hardware store and see for yourself.

The bolt lengths will vary because the distance between the roof sheet metal and support struts varies immensely. You also need to make different thickness spacers to take up that gap or you will crush the roof.

Consider welding wherever possible to avoid the weight of brackets and strut nuts. Strut (brand names Unistrut, Powerstrut, Bustanutstrut, etc) is very sturdy, the brackets are very heavy. Galvanized strut will give off some nice fumes when welded.

I feel like we need the engineering opinions of a pilot here, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.