Sliding Door

Sliding Door

Postby rlhogg [OP] » October 11th 2020, 1:37am

How do I remove and replace a sliding door?
Original Poster [OP]
rlhogg
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: awd

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Sliding Door Parts
    by junkylogic » August 4th 2020, 11:02pm in Exterior
    4 Replies
    Last post by gavio View the latest post
    August 5th 2020, 2:37pm
  • sliding door wont open
    by DaHonu » August 10th 2020, 6:05pm in Exterior
    6 Replies
    Last post by DaHonu View the latest post
    August 11th 2020, 9:28pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 1st 2020, 4:28pm

Re: Sliding Door

Postby sixsix » October 11th 2020, 2:17am

It is a fairly involved process - have you searched at all on the Forum here?
Or maybe a Youtoob video will help - it's all out there.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “May be hard to believe... President Trump should rest easy and concede what was in fact a foregone conclusion: Another OLD MAN won with only about 50% of the Change Believers/Fools showing up."

sixsix
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby rlhogg [OP] » October 11th 2020, 2:32am

The You Tube posts are quite misleading and I cd not find a single one that actually showed how to remove the door--safely. Someone somewhere mentioned using a shop crane to hold it up wch, luckily, I have, since I may be working alone. I have a used replacement door wch I hope will fit alright. Mine is a 2005 AWD model.
Original Poster [OP]
rlhogg
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Bob
Extra Info: awd

Postby markmitch » October 11th 2020, 2:52am

You get a buddy to help, then take the bottom bolts out of the roller portion then take the top bolts out and have your buddy hole it then it comes right off. I have done it by myself but I used an old blanket to set it on when I removed it. You will have to take the plastic trim off the door to get to the bolts.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 615
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby Leeann_93 » October 11th 2020, 3:39am

Yep, what Mark said. My husband and I took one off at the junkyard that way, then took the one off the ‘99 and put the replacement on. Just the two of us, no lift or anything.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby sixsix » October 11th 2020, 1:58pm

sixsix wrote:It is a fairly involved process - have you searched at all on the Forum here?
Or maybe a Youtoob video will help - it's all out there.

rlhogg wrote:The You Tube posts are quite misleading and I cd not find a single one that actually showed how to remove the door--safely. Someone somewhere mentioned using a shop crane to hold it up wch, luckily, I have, since I may be working alone. I have a used replacement door wch I hope will fit alright. Mine is a 2005 AWD model.

Well... I stand corrected - went looking on the toob too - could not find ****. Well, I did find that...

Our Van is a '92 - Gen I - the Center Roller set is easier to do on a Gen II from what I understand.
Here's where we worked on our side door. Did not remove it, but took both front rollers off and cleaned.
Rested the door on a 5 gallon bucket.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p570858

Covers Interior Door Trim R&R and window hardware removal. Does not get into the Electrics, just a gen. cleanup.
And... after looking at it again - never pulled the top arm off, just cleaned and lubed the roller.
But, it should be obvious - there's just 2 bolts. Leeann has some pics of hers somewhere...

And the Int. Trim does not need to be "Completely Removed" to get at what you need.
Here to help.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “May be hard to believe... President Trump should rest easy and concede what was in fact a foregone conclusion: Another OLD MAN won with only about 50% of the Change Believers/Fools showing up."

sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby AstroWill » October 12th 2020, 2:00pm

markmitch wrote:You get a buddy to help, then take the bottom bolts out of the roller portion then take the top bolts out and have your buddy hole it then it comes right off. I have done it by myself but I used an old blanket to set it on when I removed it. You will have to take the plastic trim off the door to get to the bolts.

Leeann_93 wrote:Yep, what Mark said. My husband and I took one off at the junkyard that way, then took the one off the ‘99 and put the replacement on. Just the two of us, no lift or anything.

Yep, easy as pie with 2 people :)

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby Wiley » October 13th 2020, 3:08pm

I did mine solo, not all that hard. I brought some rope with me to the junkyard, tied off the door before unbolting and then lowered it down using the rope itself...wasn't hard at all. I then did the same on mine at home, neither time did I encounter any issues.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
Wiley
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Wiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD 2 inch Lift

Postby AstroWill » October 14th 2020, 12:01pm

Wiley wrote:I did mine solo, not all that hard. I brought some rope with me to the junkyard, tied off the door before unbolting and then lowered it down using the rope itself...wasn't hard at all. I then did the same on mine at home, neither time did I encounter any issues.

:thumbup:

I wonder if that is where all the cut up seat belts go :)

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense