Side mirror vibrating ( glass )

Side mirror vibrating ( glass )

Postby Olivier02 [OP] » October 11th 2020, 8:40pm

Hi! I was wondering if it was possible To change the glass of a side mirror. The whole unit is fine, but the glass shakes a lot when i drive ( driver side). Thanks a lot
Attachments
IMG_20201011_1522180.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Olivier02
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): Olivier
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT AWD 4.3L

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Manual Mirror to Replace a Power Mirror?
    by GodIsBed » October 7th 2020, 1:10am in Exterior
    6 Replies
    Last post by GodIsBed View the latest post
    October 24th 2020, 5:01am
  • sliding door glass
    by dramey » November 17th 2020, 8:25am in Exterior
    0 Replies
    Last post by dramey View the latest post
    November 17th 2020, 8:25am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 25th 2020, 8:34am

Re: Side mirror vibrating ( glass )

Postby sixsix » October 11th 2020, 9:35pm

I was just wondering if that is an item covered under Insurance - like the windshield.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “May be hard to believe... President Trump should rest easy and concede what was in fact a foregone conclusion: Another OLD MAN won with only about 50% of the Change Believers/Fools showing up."

sixsix
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby dchan51360 » October 11th 2020, 10:18pm

to both questions.."It depends"

RE replacement. you can replace just the glass/mirror, the whole backing plate with the mirror, Motor (if you have one) or the whole side mirror. You need to determine where the failure is. If the mirror positioning motor or pivot is bad, a pivot just needs to be tightened or replaced. A broken motor will need the motor to be replaced. if the backing plate where it attaches to the motor arm is broken, you may need to replace the attachment arm and backing plate. If the mirror is just loose from the backing plate, you can just take the mirror off, clean it and the backing plate up, and glue it back on.

If it's an aftermarket mirror already, someone may have used double back foam tape to install it in which case you can slide some dental floss behind the mirror and "saw through" the double back tape and clean everything back up and glue it back together.

RE: insurance.. It depends on your level of insurance and if it's worth it. I have glass replacement on my insurance. It includes windshields, mirrors, and all windows. the deductible is 50.00 so it's cheaper for me to buy my own mirror replacements and glue them on. If it's a windshield or window, I use my insurance. My friend's deductible is 500.00 on glass so unless it's an expensive windshield, probably will never use that rider on his insurance. His regular deductible is 1800.00 so he has to be in a pretty big accident to make it worth his while to use his insurance for small accidents. But his premiums are lower.
dchan51360
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: dchan51360 has been a member for 4 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 4 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 4 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: AWD

Postby AstroWill » October 12th 2020, 1:59pm

Yep, it depends. Replacing just the glass is simple, but that may not be your issue.
I have had that same thing happen with the cheap aftermarket mirrors. I would simply replace them with a pair from the JY if you have one close by that is cheap :)

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby Olivier02 [OP] » October 12th 2020, 6:49pm

Ok thanks a lot! My power mirror work fine and the glass is vibrating but just To be annoying. Do you know how To remove/replace the glass ?
Original Poster [OP]
Olivier02
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): Olivier
Extra Info: SLT AWD 4.3L

Postby dchan51360 » October 12th 2020, 8:07pm

You have not yet eliminated the source of vibration.

Just because your power mirror works, you can still have a loose mount, damaged stem, damaged backing plate or mirror coming loose from the backing plate.

If it's mirror glass coming loose from the backing plate, it depends on how it was attached. if it's an aftermarket hack job, it could very well be attached with double back foam tape. You still have much more investigation to work out.
dchan51360
Years of Membership: dchan51360 has been a member for 4 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 4 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 4 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD

Postby N6KB » October 12th 2020, 8:29pm

I had mine fall out due to the glue that holds them failing. Fortunately it happened when I was parked in tall thick grass and they did not break. If yours are vibrating it may be a sign that they are getting ready to fall out. Might be better to remove them yourself and re-glue them. I used Pliobond 25 glue and they're still hanging in there after several years.
N6KB
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: N6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): N6KB
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby vangogo » October 13th 2020, 1:01am

Mine was vibrating while driving one day, seemed odd because the road was smooth...I rolled the window down to feel if the mirror was loose, and the glass fell out. I bought a replacement glass at the part store that came with glue, I think it was only around $10.
PASTAFARI
vangogo
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: vangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): VanGoGo
Extra Info: LS 4.3 V6 AWD