Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

roof rack I got today

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  CarpeDiem 
#1 ·
I bought this at pick n pull for 30 bucks it was on a truck cap. Its 1" steel square tubing. I will have to modify it a little to make it fit on my Astro I hope the ends will sit on the roof cross beams so I will have to lower the headliner a little to remove the old one and bolt the new one on. Gives me something to do while I am waiting for parts to finish the frame swap.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
markmitch said:
I bought this at pick n pull for 30 bucks it was on a truck cap. Its 1" steel square tubing. I will have to modify it a little to make it fit on my Astro I hope the ends will sit on the roof cross beams so I will have to lower the headliner a little to remove the old one and bolt the new one on. Gives me something to do while I am waiting for parts to finish the frame swap.
I swear Mark, you are so much Fun. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Knowing you - probably had your "Big Coat" pockets full - we know how much of a Con Man you are Lately.
1" sg tubing, should be large enough to fit some small parts in there... LOL

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

#6 ·
Well... see, there you go again ...

- of course you didn't have a "Big Coat" on - it was a joke - I was making a funny. :poke:
I thought we went thru all this last week...

Not so much fun now - I will not make this mistake one more time.

#10 ·
I won't be installing it for a bit I have to much other things to do to get ready for the rear drive to AWD frame swap. Yesterday I took my Astro for a 1 mile drive and it is not shifting properly so I am going to pull the dog house and adjust the TV cable again and then do a pressure test on the transmission. I need to get everything working before I pull it apart and add more to my list. Better to get the transmission shifting right before I put in an AWD situation right?

#11 ·
Hey buddy, I'm happy for you about the rack! Even if you have to fashion a new hard point or run an extra brace, that rack should be awesome!
Mark, if it were mine, I'd make a removable/stowable 1/2" plywood top that would overhang the rack and make a two seat observation point!
I could imagine chillin on that.

Seriously, does anyone else like chilling on top of their Safari?
It's a game changer at airshows.
:rolling:

#13 ·
I bought more of the same size tubing and some that fits inside kind of tight to extend it to fit over more of the inner supports so I can get more use out of it. I also got some 1/8 inch steel plate to make bolt down places. Once the van frame is under it again I will work on the rack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.