Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Roof Rack

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  rjfalski 
#1 ·
just got my hands on an 05 Safari, It has no roof rack at all. I'm lifting it and doing the 4x4 conversion(JOR), any suggestions? Looking for something that will look good and eventually add the ladder, JOR has one but its almost $1000

Thanks for the advice

#5 ·
Hey all, had a chance to get some more pics to share of the roof rack I designed and fabricated. Any feedback would be appreciated. This is a prototype intended for the new van market(although my Astro needed one too) and would have preferred more of a reto round hole look for the strap points on my Astro but ended up with a bit of a fusion look...vans are totally different animals but had to prove the concept mostly.

Attachments

#7 ·
AstroWill said:
Nice rack Blueberry. Also, how do you like those head and marker lights? Link?
Hey Astro Will, I've had the headlights about 5 years now apparently, yikes time flies!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JB ... UTF8&psc=1
They look good but I don't care for the performance. High beam works good but low beam has a faceted light pattern spread on the road. The low beam turns out to have cover in front of the bulb and relies on reflective light off the back of the headlamp. Probably a little better than the milky old factory headlights that were shot but don't love them, just the best option I found to take a chance on.

#8 ·
Thanks Blueberry for getting the additional shots of your rack. Looks great! Judging by the license plate and woods in the snow pic just wish we weren't on opposite ends of the country so I could snag one. It looks like it checks all of the boxes.

#11 ·
Hey Blueberry,
I'm in Rhode Island with a lot of friends scattered around your State and have been looking to make one of these racks for for awhile now. Let's connect, and talk about the rack in detail. Almost got in Fab'ing one myself but looks like you've got the formula down.
Looks like the System One - contractor grade roof racks. Well done.
My ideal rack would have higher rails on the side for plywood and lumber, but probably only 2" high.
I weld steel and aluminum full-time.
Let's connect. :weld:

#12 ·
Hey blueberry, cool rack! I'm in AK so probably no chance of getting you to make me one of these, but I'm curious about the noise with this design. I want to replace the wimpy factory rack with something sturdy, maybe to build a small porch on, and noise is a consideration. Just checking out options. Thanks for posting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.