Bumper Black Out

Bumper Black Out

Postby ryyiann [OP] » March 24th 2012, 12:29pm

I decided to do a little body work to my 1992 Astro. It had a dented up rear 1/4 pannel that banged out as best i could. Decided not to bondo. Went straight to a can of spray primer after sanding with 80 grit. Then i layed down a few thin coats of flat black. It turned out pretty good.

The day before i went to sherman williams automotive paint shop with my paint code for a custom paint matched can of spray. The stuff they made me was super metallic they said. It laid down pretty easily. If i hadnt taped it off in such an akward place you wouldnt be able to see the line. I think over all the 40 dollar cost of painting both the quarter pannel and bumper turned out to be... good... or something like :confused:

:blah:

Let me know what you think of my work or if you have any advice on how i could improve
04 Astro awd
98 Safari rwd sold at 208k
98 Astro awd sold at 220k
92 Astro awd sold at 170k
01 Blazer 4x4 sold at 180k
99 Express 1500 rwd sold at 160k
92 Astro rwd sold at 110k
Original Poster [OP]
ryyiann
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: ryyiann has been a member for 8 full yearsryyiann has been a member for 8 full yearsryyiann has been a member for 8 full yearsryyiann has been a member for 8 full yearsryyiann has been a member for 8 full yearsryyiann has been a member for 8 full yearsryyiann has been a member for 8 full yearsryyiann has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Longer rear bumper cover?
    by joeg » September 10th 2020, 6:41am in Exterior
    11 Replies
    Last post by joeg View the latest post
    September 15th 2020, 4:08pm
  • Custom front bumper
    by Tanino » September 30th 2020, 1:36am in Exterior
    7 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    November 29th 2020, 8:42pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 26th 2021, 4:10pm

Re: Bumper Black Out

Postby Jasen » March 25th 2012, 3:17am

1. you'll never get a good color match with a paint code on an old rig.
2. next time follow the body lines, that'll help hide it.
In a few days you could skillfully wet sand the paint edge down a bit, hit it with some hand rubbing compound and wax it. That might help it blend in a bit.

Either way, it looks better then a dent :)

I've got a nasty dent in the same spot drivers side, someone was good enough to give me in a parking lot.
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby ryyiann [OP] » March 26th 2012, 1:19am

thanks for the advice...
04 Astro awd
98 Safari rwd sold at 208k
98 Astro awd sold at 220k
92 Astro awd sold at 170k
01 Blazer 4x4 sold at 180k
99 Express 1500 rwd sold at 160k
92 Astro rwd sold at 110k
Original Poster [OP]
ryyiann
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: ryyiann has been a member for 8 full yearsryyiann has been a member for 8 full yearsryyiann has been a member for 8 full yearsryyiann has been a member for 8 full yearsryyiann has been a member for 8 full yearsryyiann has been a member for 8 full yearsryyiann has been a member for 8 full yearsryyiann has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD

Postby TDMobile » March 27th 2012, 5:48am

Did you clear over that repair? If you decide to knock down that line, no matter how skillful you are, you're going to break through the color and end up feathering out the primer.

If you want it to look better than a Maaco job, make sure you have enough color to do two more coats of the area you primed, and a nice full can of spray can clearcoat. When you tape it up, tape off the entire quarter, up to the slot for the sliding door. Use 400 grit wet/dry sand paper and a bucket of water to dip it in. Using diagonal strokes in all directions, sand the hard line smooth, making sure you don't sand only on the line itself, but about 2-3" above and below and use even pressure the entire time. Use the bucket to keep the sandpaper clean, or if you can, use a hose with an adjustable nozzle to spray the paper, and to frequently clear the panel of the gunk.

After that line is gone and you you prep the rest of the panel (preferably with 800 grit wet/dry paper), mask around the panel. Then with your color, start at the bottom and spray up to the edge of the repair and about 1/2" beyond. For the second coat, try to maintain even coverage over the repair and bring the color slightly higher, pulling the can back a little so the color isn't as concentrated, giving it a "fading" effect. For the final coat, again start at the bottom, and bring the color a bit higher still, pulling the can further away as you get to the highest point that you'll put color. Wait about 5 minutes between coats of color.

After your color is done, wait 8-10 minutes. Start spraying the clear so the center of the pattern is at the edge of your tape (the slider door groove), and each pass should overlap the previous pass by 50% - The top of the pattern will be at the center of the previous pass, or the center of the pattern will be at the bottom of your previous pass. After the first coat is complete, wait another 8-10 minutes and repeat the process. Your first coat should look about 85% of the shine that you want as the end result, and the second coat should look about 95% of what you want for the end result.

The times I listed above are for temps between 60-70 degrees. I have no idea what your weather will look like, so if you need more specific flash times, PM me and let me know what temperature it should be when you're planning on doing the repair.

Hope this helps!
TDMobile
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: TDMobile has been a member for 8 full yearsTDMobile has been a member for 8 full yearsTDMobile has been a member for 8 full yearsTDMobile has been a member for 8 full yearsTDMobile has been a member for 8 full yearsTDMobile has been a member for 8 full yearsTDMobile has been a member for 8 full yearsTDMobile has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: AWD Cargo 300K

Postby paintdrying » March 27th 2012, 2:20pm

Good post! I made the mistake of putting to light of a paint coat on. I also screwed up the clear coat. Next time I will take your advice. Nothing beats experience
1999 chevy astro van awd ls 108,000 miles
parts van 2000 astro rwd 279,000 miles
paintdrying
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 94
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 108 000

Postby TDMobile » March 27th 2012, 6:56pm

Advice is always free from me, just don't ask me to paint something for free :rofl:
TDMobile
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: TDMobile has been a member for 8 full yearsTDMobile has been a member for 8 full yearsTDMobile has been a member for 8 full yearsTDMobile has been a member for 8 full yearsTDMobile has been a member for 8 full yearsTDMobile has been a member for 8 full yearsTDMobile has been a member for 8 full yearsTDMobile has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: AWD Cargo 300K