Grille screw size?

Grille screw size?

Postby Johnnie7 [OP] » April 19th 2012, 7:58am

While replacing burned out bulbs on my 2000 Astro i noticed the entire grille is loose and only held on by a few screws along the top.

I bought what i thought were the right screws but they were too big. The parts store although very large and well stocked could not help me.

Ok so my question is what is the screw size for the grille attachment on a 2000 Astro? Presumably these are metric fasteners.

Thanks!

(I don't want to purchase every package of screws to figure this out!)

Johnnie
Original Poster [OP]
Johnnie7
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Johnnie7 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohnnie7 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohnnie7 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohnnie7 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohnnie7 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohnnie7 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohnnie7 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohnnie7 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Re: Grille screw size?

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » April 19th 2012, 1:43pm

Take one of the ones you have out. Go to a body/paint supply place. And size it up.
Or you can come to my house and dig in my 5 gallon buckets of astro/safari bolts. Have I mentioned I hoard parts on old cars?
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Lumpy » April 19th 2012, 4:27pm

Roger Randy, Jonnie.

Any time I'm taking off things like grilles, trim panels, whatever, I take one of the old fasteners to ACE and buy a complete set of new fasteners. ie if the thing takes 10 screws, I buy 10 new screws. Some of the old screws on the van will be stripped or in some other way boogered up. Some will be good. I replace them all, keep the good, old screws, label them and store them away somewhere where I'll maybe not ever need them, but if I do they're right there and ready for use.

Grilles, and some other parts, have their own special set of problems. The thing they screw into gets worn pretty quickly if you remove and reinstall the screws a few times. Also the holes in the grille that capture the screw head get enlarged and let the screw pass right through without holding anything. Might need a little washer, might need a longer screw and a washer. Might need some plastic repair. You can weld plastic with a soldering gun. You can also fill plastic with JBWeld. I've done a lot of plastic repairs to my grille - screw holes, breaks in the ribs etc. Loose grills rattle like the lungs of a heavy smoker... :whack: Tighten them up and they're quiet.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby Johnnie7 [OP] » April 22nd 2012, 7:09am

They are metric M4 size which is 4mm diameter. If you look in the hole you can see there is actually a steel threaded fitting attached to the sheet metal - therefore machine screws, not sheet metal screws.

The loonie toon before me had lost all the original machine screws and the grille was held on by two #8 wood screws and an undersized sheet metal screw! It rattled and most of the signal and marker bulbs were shot probably from banging around on the loose grille.

Anyway eight M4 machine screws with small washers and its nice and tight!

(It is possible to use 8-32 machine screws in a pinch. I tried one and it went in quite well but came out "bright" and with some metal shavings.)

Johnnie
Original Poster [OP]
Johnnie7
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Johnnie7 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohnnie7 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohnnie7 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohnnie7 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohnnie7 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohnnie7 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohnnie7 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohnnie7 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000