Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Attaching 28 ' ladder to luggage rack

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  codad9000 
#1 ·
I have that standard luggage rack and I am looking for ideas to get the ladder strapped down fairly quickly. And sometimes I want to try and look it too slow down people from trying to steal it. I have been using bungy cords but I am having trouble finding a brand that is strong enough. Also maybe I need to find the right length cord but it is a real pain straping and unstraping a dozen or so times a day.
If astros had the rain guards this would be a lot easier. i tore the headliner out because it serves no purpose for me. So I have access from the inside. Any ideas.

#2 ·
Ratchet straps. Pull the ratchet off and feed the strap through the eye of the hook and around the cross member of the rack close to the ladder so it pretty well stays put, maybe zip it to keep it from slipping around. A short length of chain and a pad lock or one of those cable locks, better yet, 2 bicycle cable locks, there a lot shorter then the ones you get a HD, and put then in plain sight.

#6 ·
How about those heavy rubber straps with end hooks that truckers use to tie down their tarps? I find them on the street all the time. I presume that means they fell off the storage part of the truck and not off the active-in use part.

But if the ladder is pretty heavy, as it seems it must be, I too would look toward ratchet straps. I've carried antennas and tower sections, on the roof rack, tied down to the front and rear bumper. There are some really great, locking ladder racks on a lot of Astros that I've seen in contractor use. Including the kind that tilt one end of the ladder down to you when you release it.

But I guess that's not a bungee answer, sorry.

Lump

#7 ·
The big black rubber bungees will work, but I would have at least one solid tie down like a cable or chain at the back. Those rubber bungees don't like the sun so much. I'd hate to see you slam on the brakes one day to avoid some idiot and launch your ladder through is back window and head, even if he had it coming.

Keep in mind, the state holds you responsible far anything the come off or out of your rig, and the fines have been going up quite a lot here anyway. Been to many people killed by things like ladders, tools, tires, 2x4's etc. falling off trucks.

#8 ·
The no rain guard thing on the astros is the problem. My last van had a professional rack. The racks for the astros are hard to find. If you need to buy any adapters they are usually fairly expensive. I am using the ratchet straps, I have one in the middle. Never had the rachet straps with those hooks on the end, I do not really like them but I will see.

Attachments

#9 ·
I install cable as a subcontractor in Florida and we have to carry a 28 foot extension ladder along with a 6 foot step ladder. Both are fiberglass, so might be a little heavier than your aluminum. I use 2 tie straps on each one, the kind with hooks and yellow nylon straps. I usually use a big bicycle lock going through both ladders and the luggage racks. I have to take my ladders off 5 or 10 times a day, just depending. I can take a pic or two for you if you are interested in how it comes together...
Christopher

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.