has anyone changed their rear side windows to acess doors?

Re: has anyone changed their rear side windows to acess door

Postby junkout [OP] » May 27th 2012, 4:59am

yeah jasen i have glue rollers and even a vacume bag to clamp them i hve done lots of curved capinet work through the years
Original Poster [OP]
junkout
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: junkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: awd work van

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Has anyone ever stacked toppers?
    by DoubleDeckerStudios » November 11th 2020, 12:06pm in Exterior
    2 Replies
    Last post by Big_kid View the latest post
    November 12th 2020, 12:33am
  • Conversion van windows
    by AstroOafAdventurer » October 27th 2020, 6:23am in Exterior
    21 Replies
    Last post by nwmod39 View the latest post
    December 22nd 2020, 9:29pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 14th 2021, 3:08am

Postby Phantom » May 27th 2012, 5:00am

junkout wrote:yeah i just have to pull the window and see what type will work best and by the way 2 sheets of 3/8 bendable plywood laminated together and fiberglassed will be a hell of alot more secure than the glass that is there and as rigid as most sheet metal doors. have you ever worked with bendable luan it is very strong and rigid once it is laminated together and then once it is glassed over it is very strong and durable

No I don't work with wood much , been a lot of years and then it was in construction of homes ,, been out of that a long time ,, but if you use fiberglass to bond them and it sticks it should be good ,, window glass is very rigid , but it can break if hit hard enough with hammer , and being tempered it fragments into small pieces ,, sheet metal of 20 gauge is not rigid , it bends just by leaning against it unless braced by a solid structure like a frame , but it won't break if hit ,
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Postby Jasen » May 27th 2012, 5:03am

junkout wrote:yeah jasen i have glue rollers and even a vacume bag to clamp them i hve done lots of curved capinet work through the years

:thumbup:
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby junkout [OP] » May 27th 2012, 5:05am

no you dont bind them with fiberglass you use wood glue then vacume bag them after that i cover the parts in fiberglass resin and wrap in plastic nad put back in the vac bag that sucks the resin into the pores of the wood then just fibergass over them to give more rigidity and weatherproof finish
Original Poster [OP]
junkout
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: junkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Phantom » May 27th 2012, 5:16am

junkout wrote:no you dont bind them with fiberglass you use wood glue then vacume bag them after that i cover the parts in fiberglass resin and wrap in plastic nad put back in the vac bag that sucks the resin into the pores of the wood then just fibergass over them to give more rigidity and weatherproof finish

seems that the wood would be bound together in glass if you cover it in glass resin and wrap it plastic and put in a vacuum which sucks it all together squeezing the resin into the pores , if you'd wrap it in fiberglass& resin front & back :lol:
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby junkout [OP] » May 27th 2012, 5:19am

no the 2 peices would be bound together with wood glue like i said the glass would just be used to fill the pores and make the expansion rates of the wood and fiberglass the same to avoid any delamination or cracking :lol:
Original Poster [OP]
junkout
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Phantom » May 27th 2012, 5:27am

You missed the point ,, if you tied rope around the 2 pieces , they would be bound together , :lol: it does not have to be in between to bind them ,,, and if you would wrap them in fiberglass before you used the vacuum it would also bind them together , in addition to adding a watertight seal :clap:
Phantom
Alias (AKA):

Postby junkout [OP] » May 27th 2012, 5:30am

now didnt u just tell me you have never worked with bender? if you havnt why are you telling me how to do it?????
and no wood glue will bond them better ant that is when i will use the form to give it the curve it is a pain to keep the resin off the form is the bag
and without bonding them to each other ther is no rigidity in the wood core
Original Poster [OP]
junkout
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Phantom » May 27th 2012, 5:41am

junkout wrote:now didnt u just tell me you have never worked with bender? if you havnt why are you telling me how to do it?????
and no wood glue will bond them better ant that is when i will use the form to give it the curve it is a pain to keep the resin off the form is the bag
and without bonding them to each other ther is no rigidity in the wood core

I have worked with fiberglass and know if you laminate it correctly it will be stronger than wood and you can make it shaped in any shape you want it , curved, 90 degree angle ,, whatever you desire ,,

binding things is simply holding them together ,,, I was joking ,, you could not tell that ?? surely you did not take it seriously by using string to tie it together :lol:
Phantom
Alias (AKA):

Postby junkout [OP] » May 27th 2012, 5:46am

stronger in some ways yes but if you combine wood and fiberglass you get a rigid peice that is also very impact resistant
Original Poster [OP]
junkout
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Phantom » May 27th 2012, 6:22am

Be sure to fill the thread with pics , good luck with the project
Phantom
Alias (AKA):

Postby junkout [OP] » May 27th 2012, 6:34am

ok wont be able to start till next weekend but i will
Original Poster [OP]
junkout
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby TDMobile » June 28th 2012, 9:59am

How is this coming along? I'm kind of interested in doing something similar, but more for show purpose rather than utility, oh, and I'm starting with a cargo, not a passenger van.
TDMobile
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: TDMobile has been a member for 9 full yearsTDMobile has been a member for 9 full yearsTDMobile has been a member for 9 full yearsTDMobile has been a member for 9 full yearsTDMobile has been a member for 9 full yearsTDMobile has been a member for 9 full yearsTDMobile has been a member for 9 full yearsTDMobile has been a member for 9 full yearsTDMobile has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: AWD Cargo 300K

Previous