Side pop out window install in cargo?

Side pop out window install in cargo?

Postby John484 [OP] » July 18th 2012, 5:58pm

How hard would it be to put a pop out side window in place of the stationary one in the sliding door of my cargo van? Seems like it would be straight forward, but has anyone done it that can give me some advice? If it is too difficult i may just do one of the rear barn doors.
Thanks!
Original Poster [OP]
John484
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: John484 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohn484 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohn484 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohn484 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohn484 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohn484 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohn484 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohn484 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Jerry Can Mount Install
    by joeg » September 24th 2020, 11:43pm in Exterior
    3 Replies
    Last post by icebrrg3rd View the latest post
    September 26th 2020, 2:23am
  • SteelRubber Dutch Door Seal Install
    by AstroOafAdventurer » October 21st 2020, 8:47pm in Exterior
    0 Replies
    Last post by AstroOafAdventurer View the latest post
    October 21st 2020, 8:47pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 2nd 2020, 1:57pm

Re: Side pop out window install in cargo?

Postby Phantom » July 18th 2012, 6:37pm

Should be easy swap for a window that has the hinges , check a salvage yard , it may even be possible to just add hinge to yours ,
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Postby justsomeguy » July 20th 2012, 3:03pm

Probably the same as trying to swap stationary back barn door windows for pop out windows. That's what I'm in the process of doing, only the rear pop out windows are very hard to find now, as only early model Astros and Safaris could have had them as an option. But pop out side windows are quite common. It seems you just need to remove the fixed window. Apparently there's a good chance of it breaking. I'd go to a glass shop and get them to remove it. Then you'll need the hinges at the top, latches for the bottom and the weather stripping seal. I made a paper template of the screw locations so that the hinges and latches are in the right place - otherwise the window may close too loose or too tight. The hinges at the top are probably riveted. The lower ones use screws with metal sleeves that are threaded. I ordered new ones from GM (about $2 each) since the old ones do not come out without being damaged, but I suppose you could also use self-tapping screws. Hope this helps, good luck!
2005 Astro RWD, Base model passenger, ex-cop van, rust free, cadet blue, X Code, Front A/C

Compustar Alarm/Starter, XM Sat. Bluetooth, TransCooler, blackout grille, orange turn signals, pop-open barn door windows, 4 note Cadillac horn. Otherwise stock.
justsomeguy
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: justsomeguy has been a member for 9 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 9 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 9 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 9 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 9 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 9 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 9 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 9 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 45
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: Base 4.3 V6 RWD

Postby John484 [OP] » July 23rd 2012, 2:29am

That helps tremendously, thanks!
Original Poster [OP]
John484
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: John484 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohn484 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohn484 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohn484 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohn484 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohn484 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohn484 has been a member for 8 full yearsJohn484 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA):

Postby paintdrying » July 23rd 2012, 3:18am

You are going to be much better off to find a sliding door with the glass already installed. You will be able to find one used off craigslist fairly cheap. May take awhile.
Never looked that closely at the swap but it would be a good deal of work to not only cut the tin, but get it in exactly the right location on the door. Then on top of that it also has to function properly.
If you post a picture of the inside of the door that many help.
1999 chevy astro van awd ls 108,000 miles
parts van 2000 astro rwd 279,000 miles
paintdrying
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 94
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 108 000

Postby justsomeguy » July 23rd 2012, 3:40am

If there's no glass already there, then I agree, probably easier just to get a door that already has the pop-out glass. But I believe the OP said there is currently a stationary window. If there's already a window there, then I'd rather work with the door that's already on the van. No painting, swapping a heavy door, aligning a door, etc. And it should be a lot cheaper to buy a window rather than a whole sliding door. Just make sure you have the new window, seal, hardware, etc, all ready ahead of time. Because once you take out the stationary window, there's no turning back - especially if it breaks. I hear the urethane they used to attach the windows is super sticky and hard to cut out. Probably best to pay a glass shop to remove it. That's what I'm doing for my back windows.

I should note that you also need the glass that will come from your donor van. Not only because the stationary window has a good chance of breaking when you take it out, but even if it comes out in one piece, apparently you cannot cut or "drill" holes in it for the hardware. It's tempered glass and will shatter into thousands of small pieces. Apparently the factory glass that already has the holes is made with the holes, they're not cut out later.

PS: if you're getting a window from a U-Pull junkyard, bring a cordless drill. If the side window is like the barn door pop out windows, the hinges are rivited at the top. Depending on the model year (I believe older vans, 1995 or 1994 and older) use torx head screws, the newer ones use Phillip head screws. I prefer to get the parts myself. Some of those guys at junk yards that insist on getting the parts for you tend to butcher the parts when they don't come easily. And if you take it out yourself, you know you'll be careful, save all the parts, and see how it's put together.
2005 Astro RWD, Base model passenger, ex-cop van, rust free, cadet blue, X Code, Front A/C

Compustar Alarm/Starter, XM Sat. Bluetooth, TransCooler, blackout grille, orange turn signals, pop-open barn door windows, 4 note Cadillac horn. Otherwise stock.
justsomeguy
Years of Membership: justsomeguy has been a member for 9 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 9 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 9 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 9 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 9 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 9 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 9 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 9 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 45
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: Base 4.3 V6 RWD